Everything You've Ever Wanted To Know About Balanced Armatures: by Eric Hruza from Sonion
Apr 5, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #31 of 69
Quote:
With BA crossovers they the suppliers always state not to use any inductors. Now in above we have seen that some capacitors can cause problems in high frequencies.
Now I wonder if hybrids can cause similar or other problems because of dynamic driver placed closed to BA because of speaker inductance ?

Not unless you wire them in series, and considering the size of the dynamic driver the effect would be minute. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #32 of 69
I had an opportunity to exchange some thought with Mr Eric Hruza however not recently. He was very informative and helpful guy rather more than just an expert in his filed he is really a passionate.

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #36 of 69
Very informative.  Always thought there was much more to it than what BAs were used...  I wonder apart from durability and comfort, what benefits, if any, soft silicone brings to a custom IEM's sound, or is it just a different way to achieve a common goal?

Which leads me to think...
Quote:

Your POV is much depreciated (and I'm talking to Bernanke about that), but I'm not sure you've ex-pained reactions like Jerry Harvey's.  At this tincture, he has nothing to gain from insisting that a TF-10 should never be reshelled; UE isn't his company any more, yet he still says that reshells effectively destroy the original sound of the IEM he confected. 

I'm more concerned that most 'reshellers' reshell pretty much any model of multidriver IEM.  How can they possibly dedicate sufficient time to designing the best possible CIEM around the many principles mentioned in the interview if pretty much every reshelled IEM involves different BAs to start with?  I can understand if one offers to reshell just a few very popular models, but that's not the case with most offerings.  Even more worrying are those who offer to add additional drivers, or should I assume that for the relatively low cost of reshelling, one has to accept these obvious shortcomings?  Like every good product, they're designed to function as a system as close to the sum of its individual parts as possible.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #37 of 69
Interesting stuff. Who's selling products with used receivers and how do you know if that's what you're getting?

Thats my question also.  Who are these other companies and how can you tell...

I can understand why Eric Hruza would be reluctant to name names, but by raising the issue at all, he's begging the question. And by not naming names, he's creating unsubstantiated FUD.

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #40 of 69
Hi everyone — so sorry about the buggy links on Where the Market is going parts I and II. Those have been fixed now so have at it. Bummer because those are some of the most exciting parts. Did you know that it takes 4-5 years for Sonion to build out their product line while it takes manufacturers about 18 months. Think about that for a second. That means that they need to know where the market is going 3 design cycles out...

Thanks again to Eric for sitting for this,  to Jude for showcasing this on the homepage so that we can all learn more about our favorite hobby and for everyone's great reception to this. Looking forward to seeing this post get 20,000 views.

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #41 of 69
Quote:
All of this helps to explain why reshelling is such finicky surgery that it rarely produces the same sound afterward -- and why IEM companies almost never endorse the practice. This might not be a question of branding or those same companies wanting more money. Perhaps they're skeptical because tiny variables change the sound in potentially immense ways.

Well said indeed my friend! Shall we also start talking about custom fit tips for universal in-ears in this post as well. It's the same issue. When you change the canal length, you alter EVERYTHING. Check this out:

http://ultimateearsuniversity.com/post/34652611534/custom-fit-tips

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #42 of 69
I'm sorry but this...

Quote:
Don’t do it! This is a bad practice for a number of reasons.

Is like saying - don't use comply foams - it's a bad practice. There are many people who would favors custom tips over universal tips ..for a number of reasons.
Of course it changes the sound however in most of the cases it's not a night and day difference. Otherwise why would say Westone offer custom tips - to worsen their product? I hardly think so.

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #43 of 69
could someone explain this to me?

how this is possible?

https://soundcloud.com/ultimateears/theres-more-to-sound-than-just

this goes directly to rinchoi who does the measurements! it's more than meets the eye measurement!

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #44 of 69
Quote:
could someone explain this to me?

how this is possible?

https://soundcloud.com/ultimateears/theres-more-to-sound-than-just

this goes directly to rinchoi who does the measurements! it's more than meets the eye measurement!

It's more like a tip on designs. My guess it's a continuation on those manufacturers who uses parts from hearing aids and so one. Indeed you can have some similar looking earphone on the paper yet sounding quite different. IMHO it has to do with CSD - how sound travels through time.

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #45 of 69
Quote:
Well said indeed my friend! Shall we also start talking about custom fit tips for universal in-ears in this post as well. It's the same issue. When you change the canal length, you alter EVERYTHING. Check this out:

http://ultimateearsuniversity.com/post/34652611534/custom-fit-tips

So what you are indirectly saying here is universal iem will fit different people differently and with different types of tips provided it will sound different to different people ? So the logic here that canal length will alter Everything is not only for custom tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back