Everything except rap, hip-hop...
Jun 24, 2004 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rxinside

New Head-Fier
I enjoy listening at pretty much everything I can found...but when it comes to chose components that would fit my tastes, I feel astringed to sacrify one kinda music (let's say rock) for another (let's say classical music). Since my low-end Senn. left me for a better world recently
icon10.gif
, I'm now looking for something rather high-end to replace them without having to pay 500 USD for it (hey, I'm still a student and music's rather a passion than everything else for me!). I should be able to wear it several hours long (midterm exams with caffeine,
k1000smile.gif
)...

Well, up to now, my researches have told my that AKG240M could be the response for my problem...if you have any suggestion or commentary, feel free to contact me!!

Jun 24, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 8
subtract rock = lows
subtract treble = highs
so mids?

so.....what is the max price, do you want an open or closed headphone, do you like laid back or forward and fast sound, do you have a big head, comfort level? give us a little more idea.

the k240 is refer to one of the groovalizer here due to its bass. there are two version, the k240s, which has 53ohms and the k240m an older version which has 600ohms. if you dont have a headphone amplifier, i suggest getting the 's' version instead because its easier to power.

Jun 24, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 8
Sennheiser HD-580's, you can get them for $180. They sound good but are open. If you want closed, then the best closed can I've heard is the Beyer Dynamics DT250-250 (250 ohm, not the 80 ohm version).

Jun 24, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 8
How does the sound differ between the DT250-250 and the DT250-80? The 250-250's seem like they might be kida hard to drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Sennheiser HD-580's, you can get them for $180. They sound good but are open. If you want closed, then the best closed can I've heard is the Beyer Dynamics DT250-250 (250 ohm, not the 80 ohm version).

Jun 26, 2004 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 8
Thx for the replies...
I think I outta precise what I want...
Well...I want a closed head-FI to avoid disturbing peps when I'm at the library for mid terms (
lambda.gif
) without having to sacrifice bass...my budget, since I'm a pennyless student (
rolleyes.gif
), has a limit of, well, let's say 160 USD +/- 30 $...
I really like AKG style...I'm thinking about the K240S, as u told me (ty TerryMX) or maybe K171S. I defenetly don't wanna get in Bose thing since I think it's rather a name thing for the price (either ways, I didn't even see their name on this site!!!cool!). DT-250's from Tyson & mektarus are looking even better though...I think I'll have to go to my nearest dealer soon for these suggestion...
Once again, I'd like to thank everyone for taking time to introduce a newbie like me into high end audio...I'd like to hear about what's the best head-FI after my criterias!

Jun 26, 2004 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 8
Have you ever looked at Audio-technica ATH-A900s or ATH-500s? Very musical cans (any music sounds good with them), cheap, and don't need an amp.

Oh, and this is my 200th post. Yay. *pats self on back*

Jun 26, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 8
I'm in a similar situation to yours but my budget isn't quite as high (ahhh, the days of being a pennyless student
rolleyes.gif
). I love the look of the K240s and was seriously considering them until I noticed that they are "semi-open". I'm guessing this means they leak a fair bit of sound but I'm not sure how much. Right now I'm am leaning toward the ATH A500. From what I understand it, and the A900, are about the best closed headphones in their respective price ranges.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rxinside
Thx for the replies...
I think I outta precise what I want...
Well...I want a closed head-FI to avoid disturbing peps when I'm at the library for mid terms (
lambda.gif
) without having to sacrifice bass...my budget, since I'm a pennyless student (
rolleyes.gif
), has a limit of, well, let's say 160 USD +/- 30 $...
I really like AKG style...I'm thinking about the K240S, as u told me (ty TerryMX) or maybe K171S. I defenetly don't wanna get in Bose thing since I think it's rather a name thing for the price (either ways, I didn't even see their name on this site!!!cool!). DT-250's from Tyson & mektarus are looking even better though...I think I'll have to go to my nearest dealer soon for these suggestion...
Once again, I'd like to thank everyone for taking time to introduce a newbie like me into high end audio...I'd like to hear about what's the best head-FI after my criterias!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back