Everything clicks/pops/crackles. Am I going insane?
Mar 24, 2017 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Catastrope

New Head-Fier
Equipment I own: Audiotechnica k7xx Massdrop edition, FiiO E10K Olympus 2 Headphone Amp/DAC, Sennheiser HD598,  Sennheiser ie80, Razer Megalodon (for testing purposes), some crappy Logitech 2+1 speakers

Problem: Whenever I start/pause/stop any sound source (music,video, anything that uses sound), I hear a clicking/popping sound. I have this problem with all of these devices above. Even though I assume this has been going on for a while, I noticed it after purchasing my brand new headphones (k7xx) and using it a couple days. Then I thought it was from my sound card (Soundblaster Z) and purchased my dac (E10k) but it's still the same.

I can easily reproduce this problem by repeatedly clicking the volume bar of windows (win 10). Here, I recorded it for you with my phone:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5ixf6wa432nb2f/Voice_004.mp3?dl=0

Another example with some piano music (flac format, with VLC, not that it matters)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5w5l48ncpi3iuw/Voice_005.mp3?dl=0

These recordings are from my headphones that are connected to my usb DAC, but the same popping/crackling sound comes from every other device I own too, with or without the dac. 

Now, as you can guess, my first instinct was "Since all devices can't be broken at the same time, it has to be the pc". But NOPE.

This happens in my 4 year old laptop (windows 7), my 10 year old laptop (windows 7) and my pc. It does NOT happen with my phone (note 4), or my sister's Ipad but I'm not sure, since they aren't really that loud, compared to a pc, and can't reproduce the thing easily since their music players seem to have a slight crossfade thing going on. But even if they do, it's nowhere near to what happens with my computers.

This is not an issue when there is a crossfade, like Spotify, since the very beginning of an audio is not audible due to crossfade

So, what is going on? Has this crackling/popping thing always been there? Does everyone have it? Am I losing my mind? Is this a government program that has been active since the beginning of time and I'm on a list now?

Help me please.

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 9
I've asked around and a lot of people have this issue. But since mobile devices don't have it (most likely) there has to be a solution, right?

I just don't know what it might be.

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #7 of 9
There are rather expensive devices that "filter" the electricity (line-filter?). As your mobile devices work fine (from battery), that  might be a solution.

This is something like it I believe:

http://www.oehlbach.com/en/power/xxl%C2%AE-powersocket-908

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 9
  Equipment I own: Audiotechnica k7xx Massdrop edition, FiiO E10K Olympus 2 Headphone Amp/DAC, Sennheiser HD598,  Sennheiser ie80, Razer Megalodon (for testing purposes), some crappy Logitech 2+1 speakers

Problem: Whenever I start/pause/stop any sound source (music,video, anything that uses sound), I hear a clicking/popping sound. I have this problem with all of these devices above. Even though I assume this has been going on for a while, I noticed it after purchasing my brand new headphones (k7xx) and using it a couple days. Then I thought it was from my sound card (Soundblaster Z) and purchased my dac (E10k) but it's still the same.

I can easily reproduce this problem by repeatedly clicking the volume bar of windows (win 10). Here, I recorded it for you with my phone:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5ixf6wa432nb2f/Voice_004.mp3?dl=0

Another example with some piano music (flac format, with VLC, not that it matters)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5w5l48ncpi3iuw/Voice_005.mp3?dl=0

These recordings are from my headphones that are connected to my usb DAC, but the same popping/crackling sound comes from every other device I own too, with or without the dac. 

Now, as you can guess, my first instinct was "Since all devices can't be broken at the same time, it has to be the pc". But NOPE.

This happens in my 4 year old laptop (windows 7), my 10 year old laptop (windows 7) and my pc. It does NOT happen with my phone (note 4), or my sister's Ipad but I'm not sure, since they aren't really that loud, compared to a pc, and can't reproduce the thing easily since their music players seem to have a slight crossfade thing going on. But even if they do, it's nowhere near to what happens with my computers.

This is not an issue when there is a crossfade, like Spotify, since the very beginning of an audio is not audible due to crossfade

So, what is going on? Has this crackling/popping thing always been there? Does everyone have it? Am I losing my mind? Is this a government program that has been active since the beginning of time and I'm on a list now?

Help me please.

The first clip (voice_004) happens to me when I adjust the windows volume with no music playing whatsoever, but does not happen while playing music, scrubbing while playing nor switching to a new song. Therefore it's only your setup that is causing problems.

For troubleshooting purposes, I'd probably bypass that Windows Audio and use ASIO only. WASAPI still uses Windows Audio so I don't think it'll help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back