Everything but sound Shure e5 vs ety 4p
Nov 9, 2004 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

metal_monger

100+ Head-Fier
I realize alot of you are passionate suppoters of your headphones and I respect that. The purpose of this post is to try and seperate the benefits and negatives of the Ety 4p versus the Shure e5 - all aspects except sound. This is just my run down and I post this information because I would have like to have seen a post such as this before I decided to buy either the ety's or shure's.

Overall comfort winner:
Shure E5

I think shure wins here for two reasons. 1) ety only includes two types of ends: foamies and triflanges. However Ety includes more of each of these and that is a good thing. Shure includes 1 of each, but gives you 3 sizes of the black ends and 3 of the clear ones and 1 pair of tri flange and 1 pair of the foamies (but god they are god awful ugly). I think Shure wins here because the starter's kit is a bit more friendly to more variance in ear size. 2) I like how the way the shure's cable hangs behind you, rather then in front of you as with the Ety's. This is especially useful for those of us who use this at the gym where the cable hanging infront of you can get caught up in a workout machine or what not.

Microphonics:
Shure E5

Now that I have used these at the gym I can say I am confident these provide less overall microphonics then the Ety's. I found the ety's to just make too much noise due to the cable, yes I had the braided version. This above all else was the reason I selected to sell/trade them off.

Isolation:
Ety's

The Shure's provide great isolation but that of the Ety's with the either the Tri flange or Foamies is just awesome. I have yet to try the isolation of the Tri flange on the Shure's but quite frankly I dont like tri flanges in general for comfort and the foamies on the E5's provide enough isolation to block out the obnixous music at the gym =)

Packaging:
Ety

I think shure's packaging is more sleek and I would say it has the wow factor to the packaging of the 3g Ipod. However the packaging and accessories of the Ety are more pratical and overall useful and at the end of the day this is better then intial wow when you purchase your cans.

Accessories:
Ety

I think the overall kit you get with the Ety's is a bit more throrough. You get 2 carriying cases: a hard plastic and a soft bag type one. I loved the ety soft bag which you could strap onto the belt rings on your pants,the shure e5 case looks nicer but is less pratical. Also if you carry it around in your pants your going to have a buldge in your pocket (i hate carrying stuff in my pocket). The shure case has one feature that I do like, the case is not totally soft like that of the ety's so if somethign where to happen to your canalphones in their portable case I think the shure would do a better job of protecting your invesement. However for typical everyday use Ety wins easy.

As mentioned earlier the Shure's include more types of ends to be used with the canal phones but the Ety provides more of the same kind. I also like the fact that on the shure's yo dont have to replace the green mesh as you do with the Ety's, while its not much you will save more with the Shure's in the very long run.

There you go,post your thoughts if any =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back