Everyone says hd650 need a lot of burn in, but I don't hear it?
Mar 1, 2005 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

errorich

Head-Fier
I've had a pair of hd-650s for about 3 1/2 weeks now that I use a lot. The first week I burned them in for probably 60 hours and they have maybe 200 hours total. The pair I ordered had a rattle in the right can, so I ordered a replacement and received it today.

When I hooked up my new pair they sound exactly the same as the old. There is NO difference between the two(minus the rattle). My amp has two headphone jacks on it so I did A-B comparisons just by alternating the headphones.

Anyone else experience a lack of burn in difference? I know its not going to be a night and day difference but still I can't hear anything more pronounced in the older can.

Mar 1, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 16
Some guys may say that it needs 200 hours to break in. Others may say you need 500 hours. Still others may say that there can be no burn-in without appropriate equipment. For example, you won't get burn in by using them on a computer soundcard because the soundcard, a portable player, etc., can not fully drive the headphones to their best. To give burn-in a chance you will need an amplifier which is correctly mated to the headphone (impedance matching).

Then there is 'problem' of an appropriate player and cable. If you have a dark player you'll probably never her the high break in because there are no highs to begin with. If you have an underpowered amp the bass may never firm up because the amp can only produce flabby bass. etc.

I usually say that it may be psychological and that it is the ear which becomes acclimated to the sound, that our minds reprogram themselves to hear better.

Mar 1, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 16
Did you remove the pads on your original and gently air dust/blow it and remove any particles/hair?

As for burn in, IMO people who probably own many multiple pairs of the same phone of different ages would be the best authority to speak of it, yet curiously its most expounded upon by those with a singular experience.

BTW I've had two HD650's in my possession that sounded distinctly different, the gap in manufacturing date probably greater than the gap in burn hours.

Mar 1, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 16
I experienced the same thing on 650 but totally opposite on 595. The 595 had a terrible headbanging bass - which disappeared and blended to music nicely after 2 weeks time. That was the biggest change I encountered with phones. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to a/b them with a brand new pair.

Mar 1, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by errorich
I've had a pair of hd-650s for about 3 1/2 weeks now that I use a lot. The first week I burned them in for probably 60 hours and they have maybe 200 hours total. The pair I ordered had a rattle in the right can, so I ordered a replacement and received it today.

When I hooked up my new pair they sound exactly the same as the old. There is NO difference between the two(minus the rattle). My amp has two headphone jacks on it so I did A-B comparisons just by alternating the headphones.

Anyone else experience a lack of burn in difference? I know its not going to be a night and day difference but still I can't hear anything more pronounced in the older can.

Same problem.
TODAY I sent my 650s back. The sound of the left can was quite different ftom the right's. They said probably it'll take 4-5 weeeks.
frown.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat
Same problem.
TODAY I sent my 650s back. The sound of the left can was quite different ftom the right's. They said probably it'll take 4-5 weeeks.
frown.gif

weird .. did you burn in them properly ?

Mar 1, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 16
I have a ppa with a steps power supply. It definitely has enough juice to drive 650s. I'm thinking Tim is right about having the headphones aged compared to simple burn in. My 590s are two years old and have thousands of hours on them and sound different to me than the almost brand new pair I listened to the other day. Of course, it was on a different source and amp so that would make a difference.

Yes, I did blow in the cups to see if there was anything against the drivers. The rattling doesn't sound like something is sitting against them and headroom offered to replace them at no cost(including shipping) so I opted for that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim D
BTW I've had two HD650's in my possession that sounded distinctly different, the gap in manufacturing date probably greater than the gap in burn hours.

eek.gif

Tim, if you have time, could you please take pics of the two drivers ? I'm very curious that you noticed latter 580 was also ringless. Which area do you think most different between your two 650s ... bass or ?

Mar 1, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
weird .. did you burn in them properly ?

I don't think it's weird. I see here two more people with problematic 650s
biggrin.gif

What do you mean "properly"? I've listened to them 50-60 hours

Mar 1, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 16
I only have one pair now so no pics. I haven't seen a modern HD580 but I did see that the modern HD600 has taken the internal look of a modern HD650. I just assumed the new HD580 also takes the look based on history of 600/580 build. Another thing I noticed besides internal guts, is that both the recent HD650/600 had a few cosmetic defects here and there (some slight flaking on grill and aberrations on mold and finish on the underside of the headband). My older HD650 pair which has none of these things were actually in better cosmetic condition than a brand new factory sealed A-stock HD600 from jandr a few months ago for example.

As far as sound, the difference was a slight sense of incoherency and grain that prevented a completely involving and immersive bloom that the older Senn HD650 achieves. That would sum up my subjective impression (emphasis on impression) of the differences, and IMO these are the differences that *should* set a HD650 apart from the rest. In fact its practically written in the HD650 manual...but then again so are the claims of specially manufacturered acoustic silk.
rolleyes.gif
It would be interesting to organize a mini-meet of HD650 cans to really see how things stack up however as well as some second and third opinions (then again maybe I'd rather pass on the opportunity to be in the company of very anal and highly sensitive guys
tongue.gif
).

As for burn-in, I believe everything is dynamic or subject to change, including the person. The reason I listen to my car radio at 3 out of 30 instead of 6 or 7 nowadays is probably not because the car stereo burned in however.

Mar 1, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat
I don't think it's weird. I see here two more people with problematic 650s
biggrin.gif

What do you mean "properly"? I've listened to them 50-60 hours

yes , I intended weird then this happens 350$ headphones , 3 persons having the same issue

I experienced some intermittent driver dis-equality during burning in , it disappeared though when the cans set ( on 250+ hours )

Mar 2, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumone
I burnt my hd280s in for 150 hours+ and didn't notice a damn difference.

My first cans were 280s. They have marvellous bass and trebles but you can not expect a perfect sound even after 1000 hours of burning in
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #14 of 16
Well I hate them (the hd280s). Flat they're fine but once I hop on the train & have to throw some EQ to up the bass a bit & up the volume, they're horrible. And this whole burn-in method is dumb. What a big waste of time. What person in they're right mind would buy headphones and have to wait a 1000 hours before they enjoy them. Couple hours, yeah, but 100s of hours are just crazy.

/End rant.

Mar 2, 2005 at 10:35 AM Post #15 of 16
sumone --

I can't fancy as well why people need not enjoy their headphones while burning them in...
smily_headphones1.gif

What a waste of the drivers' labours.
tongue.gif
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back