Everyone needs to stop analysing music, and start enjoying it...
Oct 18, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #16 of 37
I have always been analyzing and criticizing my gear and it does get in the way of musical enjoyment but that is because there are problems with my gear that irritate me while listening. I'd be doing this with or without Head-Fi. Leaving this place and refusing to buy any more gear would not help me enjoy the music any more than I do now. Enjoying the music is my one and only goal. I do find that the better the gear I get, the less I do it so I'm going to keep at it until I get as close as I can to finding the setup that is right for me. I'm not going to just leave when I do (headphones, audio, etc are a hobby in their own right I feel), but I can tell you I will be enjoying the music.
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #17 of 37
The OP's point is something I've noticed more and more around here. Take a look at the cable forum, and you'll see people raving about some new power cord or IC and how it's such a HUGE improvement over brand X.

IMHO, they are hyper-analyzing the music, listening for the tiniest, most subtle sound differences (whether real or imagined), instead of simply enjoying the music for what it is.

Oct 19, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nospam
The OP's point is something I've noticed more and more around here. Take a look at the cable forum, and you'll see people raving about some new power cord or IC and how it's such a HUGE improvement over brand X.

IMHO, they are hyper-analyzing the music, listening for the tiniest, most subtle sound differences (whether real or imagined), instead of simply enjoying the music for what it is.

or completely due to the placebo effect!

I enjoy my music
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayJayz
I havent been to this site for nearly a month, and by god its the best decison ive ever made, instead of always worrying that my gear was inferior or obsolete, i started to learn to really enjoy my music with the apparatus i currently have.

I always seemed to analyse too much and worry about what cans and amp to buy next, but since leaving the site i can see how crazy i was and how crazy alot of other people on here are.

Wow, it only took you a month to have that sink in. Count yourself lucky.

I also find that when I stay away from audio sites I enjoy music and life an awful lot more. Like I did before the stupid internet ever came to be. I do love the satisfaction and pleasure that the contrast provided by coming and going provides.
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate
The guy has a good point. If you've found perfection, or even satisfaction, then you don't need to come here. I'm not even close.

You won't find perfection or satisfaction here either.

Oct 19, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
You won't find perfection or satisfaction here either.

Unfortunately not
frown.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Unfortunately not
frown.gif

Well you can find it ... but then there's always something else just around the corner that could be the next best thing to knock off the top whatever you've already got.

Oct 19, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #22 of 37
I'm not so good at analysis.

I know that I like music and I know what things I use to make it sound really nice. I don't why it sounds nice and I don't know why I like it, but I do. I'm not really interested in finding out more.

I also don't dwell on why I think some paintings are good and some aren't. Don't care.

Oct 19, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #23 of 37
Yep, headfi is a disease and the only cure is more headphones!
evil_smiley.gif

Haha, in all seriousness, if you're not enjoying music, then the problem lies in you, not headfi. I'm much more into music now then pre-headfi.

Oct 19, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #24 of 37
The only reason I gonna spent another cent on my rig is because I want to get the best out of my music. No music no rigs! simple fact. But I do admit that collecting headphones seems to be an addictive hobby in itself, much like another bloke spending fortune on golf clubs, hi-tech mobile phones, state of the art remote controlled devices...you know big boys toys. If it pleases you to drain your bank on something and content with it - then it's all worth it no?

Oct 19, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #25 of 37
For me the journey is the reward. I love my headphones and listening to music, but I actually spend more time on the forum here and enjoy it very much.

Oct 19, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #26 of 37
I listened to my music and enjoyed it with my PX100's until I got sick of them and decided I needed a step up. Then I got the SR-60's and waited until I got sick of those too.

Oct 19, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #27 of 37
I'm going to try to do what nobody says can be done.

Try to survive and prosper with only TWO sets of cans to play and enjoy all my favorite tunes on my main system.

Only TWO!!

.....yeah, I know....that doesn't count portable stuff and like that.
plainface.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #29 of 37
I havent spend a cent on audio equipment since joining headfi....

i think that is going to change before the end of the month. The ony reason for getting an amp or anything is that i find the raw sound of my headphones lacking in autiority. New headphones would also be nice cause iems are uncomfortable and inconvienient for frequent use.

Even without trying to be analytical with how my rig sounds i feel the need for better.

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:48 AM Post #30 of 37
Yeah, like why did I buy the Triple.Fi's???
blink.gif

It is true though... how good is GOOD ENOUGH??? Do some of us (you) really need 20 pairs of cans and home tube amps?
My god, with all that money spent, the type of home audio setup (and I mean with full size, free standing speakers) that you could purchase with amps, preamps, D/A converters, and SA-CD or DVD-Audio gear would blow your headphone set-up away no matter how good it is (maybe even a killer turntable for you analogphiles. You can't get realistic sound staging from drivers placed to the right and left of you (and in your ear canal, or outside, if you have cans) even if you still have a pair of Sony CD1000 or 3000 (some of the best cans ever - I wish I still had mine, and that they hadn't blown, by someone elses doing I might add!!!).

My Super.Fi 5 pro sound magnificent (with my audio adjustments of course) and just my plain old iPod 5th gen 30gig video in black. Because I store all my music in Lossless, I can get just a little under 900 songs on my 30 gig, and for that reason only am I considering the new 80 gig.

PJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back