Everyone needs to be made aware of the crippling bugs in the iPod Classic
Oct 19, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #17 of 37
There are obviously problems with this iPod - 2 firmware updates in the first month, and a lot of disquiet in the forums. This is my 8th iPod and I have never experienced so many major things wrong with one device before, and my issues it would appear are not unique - in fact the same issues are being reported again and again, and seem to be firmware rather than hardware related.

Because most iPods seem to work, does not mean that common problems are not real, and that an unacceptable level of iPod classic users are experiencing issues compared to previous releases. Your usage of this device may simply be different to mine, and for this reason you are not seeing these problems. And I am no Apple basher - my Macbook and iPod purchases would tend to count against this.

This is a very flawed product.

Oct 19, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #18 of 37
I have an 810gb classic and have had no problems so far. It is not perfect, but no technology is. I upgraded as my Iriver H10 was just too small and found few choices in the large hd based players.
I am not a fan of apple either, but the Ipod (so far) works as advertised, does what it is supposed to do and does it very well at a competitive price point.

Now if you want to start complaining about the itunes software, i am with you!!
etysmile.gif

Oct 19, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #19 of 37
Apple always has a lot of updates after a product comes out. They respond to stuff reported on their support lines and correct them.

See ya
Steve

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mik000000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an 810gb classic and have had no problems so far.

Holy crap! I do believe I'll have to get in the Apple boat if you tell me where I can buy one of these.
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #21 of 37
After 8 iPods from the 2nd generation "Classic" on, I think I know how Apple responds to iPod complaints - erratically and without telling anyone exactly what they have fixed when they do release updates. I am realistic about this company and purchase both iPods and computers from them, but I am not a fanboi or a detractor.

In this case they have released a substandard product, and one that after 2 firmware updates is now in as bad shape as when it begun. At least on release it didn't lose all its battery charge in 1/6 of the time, because the iPod keeps its hard drive spinning in some circumstances. Very frustrating to leave your freshly charged iPod overnight, and to wake up with the battery flat. Not to mention the fault that sees the iPod pausing itself while plugged into docks - another commonly mentioned fault. These are basic usability issues.

Admittedly Apple did fix a lot of the lagging menu problems, and the fault that kept the iPod rebooting all the time seemingly because of embedded cover art, so they did make it usable for the section of the buying public afflicted by this problem. I wasn't but I don't doubt the problem was real, as the first firmware update seemed to principally fix these 2 problems according to the forums.

iTunes has always been a dog on my computer - whatever it does with its database handling does not scale well to very large libraries on PCs, so it has always been sluggish and frustrating to use. However with the classic it is now no longer usable at all; as noted by many people when the Classic is plugged in, iTunes simply freezes for long periods of time, while keeping the computer CPU running at 100%. No problem with the 5.5G which continues to be its usual sluggish self, but at least well behaved. Unluckily Apple also decided to add some kind of extra encryption into the loop, breaking the ability of 3rd party programs to put music onto the iPod (some now are working again), meaning not only is iTunes broken but also for a while all other programs as well.

Again these are real problems, noted by many more people than I have ever seen before on the forums. Maybe the majority of people don't see evidence of these problems, but as they are principally firmware related I assume that they are there, whether your use of the iPod or specific conditions have caused you to have noticed them or not.

There are also many small bugs and glitches which don't affect usability, but show something is astray with quality control - the still missing icons for games, the backlight timer for 30 seconds, faulty timezone listings, the incorrect display of photos, the faulty listing of compilation artists in the main artist menu (now fixed) - the list goes on. As this all used to be OK on my other iPods, I am less than impressed when it no longer is.

Again this is for Apple a substandard product, and the happy majority does not alter the fact that a larger minority than ever before is having substantial problems with the iPod Classic.

Phew - end of rant! Basically I like these devices, they have worked well enough in the past (except for the iPod 4G Video, which had a hardware fault that impacted on sound quality), and I would like them to work as well again.

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #23 of 37
I like the large hard disk size - means finally I can carry around a large enough section of my music library to satisfy most of my random music listening whims. This is nice if you travel as much as I do. Hence I was an unsuspecting early adopter - actually the product didn't seemed changed enough to think there would be so many things wrong with it - in many ways its really a 5.75 generation iPod.

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #24 of 37
If I did not need as much space then I would have stuck with my Creative vision:M, but only problem I have with the ipod seems to be laggy menu's. Overall I am verry pleased with my ipod, but wish it would not lagg.

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #25 of 37
I own every IPOD to date, the 6th gen IMO is the best by far, I updated to 102 when it came out and other than a bug on my Hi-Fi no issues at all. The menu is much better, the size is better and sonically its as good as the others I own. I have it paired with my new Ibasso T2 and its a nice combo.

Maybe its a bad batch of hardware components?

It has the quiestest noise floor of any IPOD i have, and much better than my IPhone which I am hoping they can fix in a future Iphone update.

Oct 20, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #26 of 37
you know what's the major mistake here?

you guys bought some new gadget on its first few weeks of release.

I live by that rule and to this date, no gadget/electronics has given up on me, ever *knocks on wood*

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #29 of 37
I went to the apple store and tried a classic. Oh my god, the menus lagged so bad, it was horrible. Then I played a song and proceeded to album art to browse the albums. Every time I moved the albums, the song playing started stuttering (audio became unlistenable).

Pass.

Oct 20, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #30 of 37
obviously that one has an issue.. mine doenst act that way. strange that the apple store would allow that one to even be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back