Everyone needs to be made aware of the crippling bugs in the iPod Classic
Oct 19, 2007 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Bunninator

Head-Fier
If you look at the official iPod forums and the forums over at iLounge you will find lists of the massive amounts of crap that is wrong with the iPod Classic thus far. Before you decide to go out and buy one do yourself a favor and look over some of these lists.

http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthread.php?t=207288
http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthread.php?t=205825
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....76033&tstart=0
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....83251&tstart=0
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....49703&tstart=0

The most pervasive bugs are:

1. Battery rapidly drains when iPod is turned off and not in use.
2. Battery rapidly drains when IN use.
3. 30sec backlight time is only 20 seconds
4. Sync freezing and a constant restore cycle

I made the mistake of buying an 80gb classic and brought it back to the store for a refund a week after installing 1.0.2 firmware. There is no reason for the crap Apple is pulling on it's customers and I hope it comes back to bite them in the ass.

If you own a classic and have any of these issues report the bugs on their website and send them an email. Or return your player and send a message that they can't take away features in an effort to get you to buy their accessories, AND have virtually no QA and get away with it.

I'm coming down from using some of the greatest DAPs ever. The iRiver H320, iAudio X5L, Creative Zen Vision M. It's a shame that in this day in age there isn't much competition for Apple as far as HDD based DAPs are concerned when they are so sorely needed. I've never been an iPod fan but I feel I've been backed into a corner as a result of the shortage of HDD DAPs on the market. All my bugaboos about the iPod and Apple have so far been confirmed by my own experiences and even many previously loyal iPod fans who have been turned off by the direction Apple has taken their brand. I hated the iPod BEFORE all of this and now the people who used to love them now hate them.

Oct 19, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 37
Except me. I bought from them because it's practically all that's left.

I wish I still had my X5L. Dear god... that thing was so amazing. I <3 UMS. With rockbox and everything. :/

The MP3 player world is rotating backwards.

Oct 19, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #5 of 37
Ummm, I have a 6g (classic) 80GB ipod -- my first -- and I have note experienced the battery or backlight problems you describe. I had the sync problems for a while, but they seem to have been fixed in 1.0.2.

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

1. Battery rapidly drains when iPod is turned off and not in use.
2. Battery rapidly drains when IN use.

At this rate, the battery life will be almost as bad as the Zune's! O.o

Seriously, quit with the fearmongering. Every product has a few bad experience. The vast majority of classic users (myself included) have had absolutely none of these issues, while you present them as if they're widespread.

Oct 19, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #8 of 37
theres always some manufacturing problems, some series are better then others,

lets just point our hatred of apple where it belongs, making stuff pretty insted of good, and making people give up freedoms for style,

Oct 19, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #9 of 37
I don't have a classic, but my Dad does, and he's had zero problems with it. He just took it with him on a three week vacation all over the U.S. Southwest. It performed perfectly.

I've had three Nanos and have had zero problems with any of them.

YMMV.

Just my two cents.

Oct 19, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #11 of 37
Well I have a 160GB Classic, and have experienced nearly all these problems. Problems include:
Lagging menus, including 10s of seconds to get into or out of the playlists menu.
Constant syncing freezes in Tunes, with the computer using 100% of its CPU cycles, thereby slowing down the whole computer. Means that the iPod can easily take 20 minutes or so to transfer a couple of songs over.
5 minutes to even eject the iPod through iTunes - how does Apple mess up a basic USB ejection?
Photos not showing up - just a blank screen, yet they are viewable in slideshow mode.
Complete power drain overnight while iPod not in use.
Play figures and ratings not transferring over from iPod to iTunes.

And this series of complaints is being repeated throughout the forums.

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 37
First, Let's remember that Apple sells millions of these things. People that post complaints on forums are people that are having problems - most ipod users don't have these problems so they don't even bother going to the forums in the first place. Are they perfect? Of course not, but I tend to think if the other manufacturers sold as many DAP's as Apple, there would be a lot more problems reported with those as well due to real problems, user error, imagined problems or just "I don't like how it..." stuff. By all means, if you have a real problem return it for replacement, buy something else, scream your head off at Apple, etc. etc. , but once you've done that why bother carrying on a vendetta against Apple (or anybody else for that matter). I know it's frustrating, but it's also boring.

And yes, I'm one of those who has not had any problems with a Classic. I did have problems with my first Ipod, a 4G and Apple replaced it immediately. My 2 shuffles (1G, 2G), HD ipods 4G (replaced model), Photo, Nanos (1G, 2G) and the Classic have all been excellent and are still in use either by myself or family members.

I'm not a big Apple fan otherwise - ipods are the only Apple products I have ever purchased and I don't buy my music from them either.

Oct 19, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #13 of 37
No problems with my Classic.

See ya
Steve

Oct 19, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 37
I have no classic and I am not planning on getting on. But I am typing this on my new MacBook and I am honestly suprised about almost every aspect it offers over regular computers and Microsoft XP or Vista.
It is not for everyone and there are good reasons for buying a regular laptop, especially when you plan on playing new 3D games on your portable device.
I have never been an Apple fan but I came to love the concept behind the products.
After I bought my Cowon A2 I went to the iAudio forum to clear certain points which were not covered in the manual. Although the A2 is a very good product, there were lot of issues before a lot of firmware updates. There were also lots of people complaining about the problems they faced with their units.
To make it short: 1. Sadly their are problems with almost all products and 2. The constant Apple bashing gets on my nerves! In every dedicated forum you will usually notice the problems people have with their gadgets. Satisfied customers do not feel the need to post there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back