Everyday headphones for under £50 ($75)?
Mar 10, 2009 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

charlieart66

New Head-Fier
I brought a pair of goldring GX200s from play for £17.99 and I really expected a bit more for headphones that usually sell at £50. Last week the left earphone stopped working, so I have my money back.

I'm have a sansa clip and use a fiio e5 but the only headphones I have are Grado Sr60s. The grados are great but can only really be used at home.

What headphones would you recommend for everyday use, or should I stick with a new pair of goldrings?

Here is my shortlist,

Cx300s
Cx350s
HD201
sjays
px100s
Goldring Ns1000 (normally £149 but I have a code so I can get them for £49)

Mar 10, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like a no brainer to me, if you can get a £149 headphone for £49.

That's similar to what a user said in the IEM forum about the SCL4 (?) and he got it and he absolutely hated it because of the lack of bass. Don't always think because it has been discounted so much, it's definitely better.

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 9
The buy the 150 headphones for 50, sell them and put the gained funds into increasing your own headphone budget.

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The buy the 150 headphones for 50, sell them and put the gained funds into increasing your own headphone budget.

And the next thing you expect us to do, is to work for our money?

Is it the openness that restricts you from using the grados as everyday 'phones?

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the next thing you expect us to do, is to work for our money?

Is it the openness that restricts you from using the grados as everyday 'phones?

The sound leaks quite a bit and the casing isn't all that sturdy meaning that listening to them at when out and about would be a real hassle.

It looks to me as if the only place I could sell the NS1000s would be ebay, at I would only get around £60.

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #7 of 9
The Goldring NS1000s are absolutely stunning for £50. They're currently devalued on ebay because so many people have bought them to sell from play and flooded the market. They hiss slightly in active mode, which otherwise sounds great - detail on par with HD600 (Edit: I'd better qualify that - I've not head HD600s through a really good amp) and some of the most natural sounding vocals and string instruments I've heard in a headphone. They sound pretty dreadful without an amp in passive mode (bloated uncontrolled bass, and recessed everything else) though. If you're in a noisy environment the hiss is much quieter than any noise being cancelled.

Add an amp in passive mode and it's a different story. With a Fiio e5, they give my Creative Aurvana Live! set a good beating (the CALs are essentially the same OEM model as Denon AH-D1001). I can hear that there's potential for improvement with a better amp as the detail and some of the soundstage from active mode (which uses a built in amp) isn't quite there.

Basically - you're getting a closed version of the Goldring DR150 (same drivers).

Edit: I also have the s-Jays, which are very good. Noise reduction wise, they're about as effective as each other (if you use the s-Jays foam tips - the rubber ones let in quite a bit of noise) but the s-Jays don't hiss of their own. The s-Jays are quite sensitive so you'd better use a clean source. I'm very pleased with both the s-Jays and the NS1000s. Unless you're playing either of them at dangerous volume nobody is going to be hearing your music. NS1000 sounds better but I find the s-Jays more comfortable and there's the obvious portability issue.

Further Edit: I have also demoed the PX100s and HD201s briefly within the last few weeks. Source was only a walkman mp3 player but IMO the NS1000s totally outclass either of them.

Yet another edit: someone doing a review giving an A/B of the NS1000 against Bose Noise Cancelling Headphone (not sure which ones) and Grado SR80s http://www.audaud.com/article.php?ArticleID=4232 - please note they weren't using a dedicated headphone amp for passive mode and these things are pretty current hungry - hence the comments about them not sounding good when turned off.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Goldring NS1000s are absolutely stunning for £50. They're currently devalued on ebay because so many people have bought them to sell from play and flooded the market. They hiss slightly in active mode, which otherwise sounds great - detail on par with HD600 (Edit: I'd better qualify that - I've not head HD600s through a really good amp) and some of the most natural sounding vocals and string instruments I've heard in a headphone. They sound pretty dreadful without an amp in passive mode (bloated uncontrolled bass, and recessed everything else) though. If you're in a noisy environment the hiss is much quieter than any noise being cancelled.

Add an amp in passive mode and it's a different story. With a Fiio e5, they give my Creative Aurvana Live! set a good beating (the CALs are essentially the same OEM model as Denon AH-D1001). I can hear that there's potential for improvement with a better amp as the detail and some of the soundstage from active mode (which uses a built in amp) isn't quite there.

Basically - you're getting a closed version of the Goldring DR150 (same drivers).

Edit: I also have the s-Jays, which are very good. Noise reduction wise, they're about as effective as each other (if you use the s-Jays foam tips - the rubber ones let in quite a bit of noise) but the s-Jays don't hiss of their own. The s-Jays are quite sensitive so you'd better use a clean source. I'm very pleased with both the s-Jays and the NS1000s. Unless you're playing either of them at dangerous volume nobody is going to be hearing your music. NS1000 sounds better but I find the s-Jays more comfortable and there's the obvious portability issue.

Further Edit: I have also demoed the PX100s and HD201s briefly within the last few weeks. Source was only a walkman mp3 player but IMO the NS1000s totally outclass either of them.

Yet another edit: someone doing a review giving an A/B of the NS1000 against Bose Noise Cancelling Headphone (not sure which ones) and Grado SR80s Goldring NS1000 Active Noise Reduction Headphones - please note they weren't using a dedicated headphone amp for passive mode and these things are pretty current hungry - hence the comments about them not sounding good when turned off.

Thank you so so much. It'll be quite hard to financially justify, but I think I'll buy a pair of NS1000s and a pair of Jays.

Cheers,

Charlie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back