Eversolo DMP-A8 Streamer, DAP, DAC and Preamp
Apr 7, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #136 of 143
It’s placebo if you think just a streamer has a sound signature and there’s audible quality differences between devices. Kinda like cables. But I will leave it at that. It’s your money and decision making after all. 🤷‍♂️
Seriously? Stop giving false advice, there is a difference, and it is big. It is just like saying al dac chips sound the same, which they are not. Did you do A/B compare with several streamers at the same time? Well I did! Was at the shop for 5 hours listening.

Eversolo a6, a6 master, eversolo a8, innuous mk3, lumin u2 and hifi rose rs130. As a streamer and dac chord tt2+ mscaler, And I can tell you there is a difference.

Apr 7, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #137 of 143
I never stated DAC chips sound the same nor do I believe they do. There is a difference in DACs, and that is the point I was alluding to in the first reply you quoted of mine. No point in an expensive streamer if internal DAC is never being used. Buy cheaper streamer and external DAC to save some money.Good for you doing all those tests to make your own “opinion”. 👍

Btw, my advice is not “false”. It is well documented on many an audio site that can easily be researched. After decades in this crazy hobby I share in those findings.

Apr 7, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #138 of 143
Subtle but clear audible differences here between three different streamers providing a digital input into a single DAC, where the only variable is the streamer used. This guy does consistently high quality, well micced comparison vids of a range of components.

Apr 9, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #139 of 143
Incidentally I just watched/listened to his A6 vs A6 ME vs A8 comparison vid, where the streamer-to-external-DAC differences are more stark than the vid I linked above.

I normally find myself agreeing with his preferences and descriptions of the differences between components (I try to only view/read these after listening so as not to bias my perceptions) but not in the case of the A6 ME v A8 external DAC comparison. Even having heard his stated preference for the A6 ME in the segment immediately prior to the sound demo of these units acting as streamers feeding external DACs, I was surprised to find I did not agree with his description of their relative tonality and presentations, apart perhaps from the wider A8 soundstage though. To me the A8 sounded more natural, more focussed in soundstage elements, with less digital glare/edginess and grain in the treble and midrange, more midrange body/palpabilty and generally richer timbre and decay. A calmer, more lilting and engaging sound with better tempo too. No contest to my ear and quite the opposite of what he described. Odd.

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:11 AM Post #140 of 143
Thanks everyone for helping me decide my future living room setup... you made me re-think my whole strategy and since I have quite some hi-res files on local storage as well in the meantime (which are not directly supported by the DYNAUDIO XEO 4 > will be downsampled to 16-48 anyway, so I'm going to sell them asap), I'll go for new active speakers... and yes, I became a fan of active speakers. Momentarily I still favor the DMP-A8 as a Streamer/DAC/Pre-Amp for my future setup in terms of price/performance according to many opinions and reviews so far... and for the speakers, I likely go for the buchardt A700 LE, with their "master tuning" ability and also because they offer analog XLR inputs on their back, which seems a rarity among active wireless speakers still. I guess this could be a very nice "reduced" setup and financially not too extreme IMHO. ...or? :thinking:
On another note, now I need a good desktop headphone amp, since so far I only have a portable hi-res setup at the moment.

Apr 21, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #141 of 143
Haven't seen this posted here, so here goes. I can confirm that I2S connection from A8 to Holo Audio May works. I have set the pin out to option 1 on the A8 and Alt 1 on the May. Connecting via HDMI:
IMG20240416165012.jpg

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #142 of 143
Yesterday I stumbled upon “JPlay” music controller (UPnP) app when looking for something to use with Minimserver and/or Asset UPnP DLNA (dBpoweramp). I am looking to move away from ROON and the ROON Ready certification is taking too long.

At first I thought JPlay was related to JRiver Media, but it isn’t. JPlay finds all audio endpoints in my household, including the DMP-A8. It however does not see any BluOS devices but that’s okay. While the Eversolo app is decent it can be a bit fiddly, especially with selecting tracks and adding to a queue. I have to say this JPlay (using iOS version, also available for Android) is quite good and looks like it borrowed the UI/UX from ROON, albeit more limited feature set. It has a 14 day trial then about $50 US/year, a third of the cost of yearly ROON which to me is more reasonable. Sound-wise it’s fantastic, imo.

Anyone else know of this and use it?
I briefly tested JPlay with A6 Master and to my ears Tidal from the Eversolo app sounded better than from the JPlay and better than Tidal Connect from MacOs.
Do you use Tidal? Did you test the Eversolo app with Tidal?

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #143 of 143

Do you use Tidal? Did you test the Eversolo app with Tidal?
I dropped Tidal as soon as Qobuz became available here in the North country. So Tidal was out of the picture well before I took ownership of the Eversolo.

As for sound quality, I’m not saying JPlay improves anything compared to other utilities but at the same time I have zero complaints about the audio output on the A8. I’m not disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back