Ever listen to 5.1 channel AAC album through your cans?
Apr 11, 2007 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

makasin

100+ Head-Fier
I just acquired a copy of "The Chrystal Method-Legion of Boom" in 6 Channel AAC ~680Kbps. Using the ATSurround processor in foobar, I really get an intense 3D effect now on the album. WHen before I had the '3 blobs of HD650', now I have full 3d intrument placement. Really cool stuff!

Apr 11, 2007 at 10:16 AM Post #2 of 9
Nevermind, I just switched to the Dolby Headphone plugin and put in a copy of 5.1 SACD Dark Side of the Moon. It sounds AMAZING! if you can, get a dts or ac3 format 5.1 copy of an album and play it through Dolby Headphone, much better mixed than stereo, so the spatial effect is amazing.

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 9
I also enjoy DVD-A discs played through dolby headphone on WinDVD7. Jean-Michel Jarres AERO is a soundscape experience unlike any other.

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nevermind, I just switched to the Dolby Headphone plugin and put in a copy of 5.1 SACD Dark Side of the Moon. It sounds AMAZING! if you can, get a dts or ac3 format 5.1 copy of an album and play it through Dolby Headphone, much better mixed than stereo, so the spatial effect is amazing.

did the same thing try brothers in arms -dire straits has good effect also.

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #5 of 9
umm you can't play SACD on a computer... so it was actually the stereo mix gets Dolbyfied
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 9
well it was an ac3 or dts rip from sacd, not the actual disc itself.
EDIT: Nine inch nails -The Downward Spiral is amazing,

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well it was an ac3 or dts rip from sacd, not the actual disc itself.

Isn't it a matter of impossibility to actually rip an SACD? I was living under the impression that only the standard PCM portion of SACDs containing a "standard" audio layer (from hybrid SACDs) could be ripped.

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #8 of 9
Hmm, hypothetically would it be possible to realize this for portable use with a bit of extra work?

Say I'd be able to grab the DVD DTS audio stream from my "This Binary Universe" album, ran it through the proper plugin and hijacked the "altered" 2 ch stream (as the case would be with a Dolby Headphone altering and downmixing a 5.1 stream for some spatial effect through a 2 channel setup) to get a wav/aiff output then converted it to whatever format I'd see fit. Would be nice.
lambda.gif

If that'd be possible (on a Mac, I might add) I'm sure I would look even more delusional on the bus. In a very happy way. (With just a tiny bit of the fairy-dust sprinkle that made Duggeh's avatar to what it is on top).
lambda.gif

SACD uses a different laser does it not? So in the same way a CD-player can't read DVDs, a DVD-player (*or* CD-player for that matter) can't read SACDs.

Edit: Hmm, even if possible I guess there's the "while most CDs are not, DVDs are encrypted and therefore indirectly illegal to copy even for personal/fair use" dilemma...? *sigh* I don't have any moral qualms about it myself, though, as I own the DVD (well the license to listen to/view it...). Just not sure on Head-fi's stance on this. Oh crap, I just ordered the AERO CD/DVD combo on impulse...

Apr 12, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 9
it was an analog outputted SACD. SACD player ->analog-> 6 channel output-> 5.1 input on good soundcard-> converted to ac3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back