Ever just marvel at how much great gear some of the teenagers around here have?
Apr 30, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #46 of 62
I for one am glad I went to a public school. Maybe my high school was just a good school, but I feel I got a lot out of it. It depends a lot more on the student than on the teachers, in my opinion. A lot of parents gripe about 'bad' teachers when the fact is their kid is a moron/slacker. I didn't get very good grades at all in high school, and now that I'm in college I can't really say it did much to prepare me, but looking back I'm glad I wasn't homeschooled.

There is another advantage to going to a public school. I cannot imagine how I would have ever gotten laid, even once, staying home everyday with my MOM as a freaking teacher! Play sports, go to a few parties, and it's like shooting fish in a barrell. For me, anyway.

Apr 30, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #47 of 62
I went to a catholic all boys high school but we had a all girls school like 50 feet away from us so I was there most of the time.
I remember I got suspended from school cause I got caught making out with one of the band girls (the two schools had a joined band and the girls used to come by us).

I got my butt whooped on by my dad infront of my whole school cause the dean called and told them...lol its ok I was happy about being caught.

I still remember that girls tongue being sooo warm..anyway I have rs-1's now...lol ok I'm a loser

Apr 30, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #48 of 62
My system isn't awesome by itself, but is of considerable worth if you think of the retail prices. I was able to get it because I always got stuff at below-retail prices, exceptions being my MZ-S1 and MDR-D66SL. I got my A500s $10 off, my MZ-E50 was $350 off, my NX10 was 830 off...etc. I'm good at finding discounts, and I got a $180 subwoofer for 80 bucks yesterday.

Apr 30, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #49 of 62
Yes, I am quite amazed. I had a pretty pathetic system when I was in high school.

Of course my father's motto was "you can buy whatever you want when you make your own money, since I make the money, you can't have whatever you want."

Well, that kinda backfired on him when I started making money. Heheh.
evil_smiley.gif
He has no idea how much my headphones cost.

-Ed

Apr 30, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #50 of 62
Simply put, even though people complain about how bad the economy is, there are still lots of rich people out there w/ one single spoiled kid. Oh well, that's their biz.

I remember working for every damn dollar after school so I can buy one SNES game at the end of a couple months. All that earning allowance from the parent thing is BS.

I don't know, taking money you didn't earn and buying stuff you don't deserve makes one feel like a whore.

Apr 30, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #51 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoner
Simply put, even though people complain about how bad the economy is, there are still lots of rich people out there w/ one single spoiled kid. Oh well, that's their biz.

I remember working for every damn dollar after school so I can buy one SNES game at the end of a couple months. All that earning allowance from the parent thing is BS.

I don't know, taking money you didn't earn and buying stuff you don't deserve makes one feel like a whore.

What?? Talk about sour grapes.

I work for "every damn dollar" too. I just happen to have a job where I get paid more than the bog-standard high-school supermarket checkout clerk... it's not my fault that you had a crap job.

May 1, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #52 of 62
Eric, I don't think Stoner was referring to you. I think he was talking about the teens whose parents forbid them to work and then just give them a lot of money.

Personally, I'm in favor of discouraging teens from working in order to concentrate on their studies, if it's financially viable, but I'm also not in favor of parents giving their children a lot of money for doing nothing, either. It teaches a bad lesson. Blueblood families are excepted from this, of course, as they live in a different reality.

May 1, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #54 of 62
I'm 16 and I can barely get away with a Grado SR-80. I always tell profingerskater that he's lucky to have the rigs he does.

May 1, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #55 of 62
Stoner, I've noticed that with you, everything seems to be in black and white. As you go through life, you may find this to not be the case in reality. There's more than one right way to raise a child. The way you were raised worked for you, but it's not the only right way.

Yeah I was an only child but we weren't "rich" as such. It's just that a headphone rig would have been considered firstly, to be quieter than getting blasted by speakers, and secondly, an investment in my love of music.

To say that I was a whore because I wasn't allowed to work is just plain narrow-minded. Do you think I, or kids like me, sat around home all day? No, I worked, worked damn hard - took all honors courses and a few AP as well. I was loaded down with all the extracurricular stuff that has proved so enriching to me in later life. I was up at 5:30 in the morning and still hadn't completed all I needed to do at midnight. So please, don't give me this BS that only kids that have jobs know what work is. The teenage years can be the most stressful for anyone.

You can't pre-judge people and always get away with it. At the very least, you're only short-changing yourself with a very narrow view of the world.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoner

May 1, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #56 of 62
When I was 16 my electric shop teacher(at public school) liked me enough to hire me at his audio shop where I made pretty good money assembling Dynaco and Hafler amp kits and doing other repair and assembly work. I spent most of my money on car stuff and all the audio gear was free or right near free. I had a nice system with a great Turntable, some super nice amps and speakers that were handbuilt by the shop owner using very expensive parts.

I did'nt spend a lot of time working but I did spend a lot of time getting laid and there were plenty of willing girls back then. Audio was way on the back burner and since it was I did for a living I kinda took it fior granted. There were girls to screw and I was not about to leave them waiting.

May 1, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #57 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
Hm. I wish I had a headphone amp. I had always justified audio purchases by saying that I don't spend nearly as much as other girls my age on clothing, make-up, and accessories. It adds up. But I'm curious whether the other teenagers with nice stuff have other status symbols...like a car. Or do they put all their money towards audio?

i put all my money to buy audio stuff. that was all i had enough fore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
I did'nt spend a lot of time working but I did spend a lot of time getting laid.

i admire you very much.

May 1, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #59 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
To say that I was a whore because I wasn't allowed to work is just plain narrow-minded. Do you think I, or kids like me, sat around home all day? No, I worked, worked damn hard - took all honors courses and a few AP as well. I was loaded down with all the extracurricular stuff that has proved so enriching to me in later life. I was up at 5:30 in the morning and still hadn't completed all I needed to do at midnight. So please, don't give me this BS that only kids that have jobs know what work is. The teenage years can be the most stressful for anyone.

You can't pre-judge people and always get away with it. At the very least, you're only short-changing yourself with a very narrow view of the world.

Amen. I don't have much to add, but I agree. I don't believe that I'm above working, but the academic load I'm taking is too heavy at the moment. I'm also not wallowing in cash either. Money can be earned through academics, and the source isn't always from the parents.

May 1, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #60 of 62
i'm 17 and i will have a PR, ipod, D 25s and a sr 225. I work my butt off at a non profit organization to earn the money(irony??), but i am sort of spoiled at the same time.

It all depends on how the parents teach their kids, rich or poor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back