ever hear of 'UPS mail innovations' as a shipper?
Apr 16, 2010 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

linuxworks

Member of the Trade: Sercona Audio
this is strange. a hybrid (seeing more and more of these) between UPS and USPS.

it seems that newegg is starting to use this service for 'free' shipments. I bet its cheap for them but it sounds like a nightmare for users.

they have UPS pick up boxes in bulk and deliver to the US mail. it then sits in US mail for days (or weeks) according to some stories. tracking is impossible once things pass between the 2 companies.

we need more reliable shipping, not LESS reliable shipping!

this makes DHL look like a good shipper; and that's saying a lot.

your experience with this? I'm curious if anyone likes it (other than the vendors who seem to have jumped on this for 'cost savings' reasons).

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 18
it is fine, in fact i prefer usps more than ups, since i don't have to stay home and wait at the door for delivery.
theres a postal office near my house and usps will just leave a notice if i'm not home then i will pick up my packages at the end of the day.
it's not just newegg, many sports' goods seller use that service too

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 18
it is NOT fine!

everytime they ship with this, there will be tracking info on the UPS part, and then it will say the packaged is dropped off to USPS, then, the tracking becomes USELESS! And it sits in USPS forever before they do anything to it.

I usually ship to an office near LAX. When I buy from Newegg, they usually ship from City of Industry, which is an hour drive from the airport. Before, when they were using UPS directly, I will get my stuff in a day or two even if it is free shipping. Now, this one hour drive becomes 2 weeks. True story.

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 18
it's the same thing as fedex smartpost

the worst idea in the history of shipping things

i had one thing shipped that way once... it took forever for it to arrive... plus it was a backordered item so i had to wait forever for them to even ship it in the first place making my total wait TWO FOREVERS

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 18
newegg ships from so-cal and I'm in nor-cal and so the old 'egg saver' was just plain ups ground and that was 2 or 3 days to me at the most.

now, this 'egg saver' is a handoff and that just seems like trouble, to me. I doubt I'll get my box in anything close to what 'bad old ups ground' used to take.

ground used to be the worst. but that was not 'good enough' for the shippers and so they had to invent a new worst just to make 'ground' seem like a premium level service
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 18
No, can not say that I have.
But it sure does not sound ideal, transferring packages to even one more transporter.

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 18
I was scared by this news, given I have a rather large newegg order on deck. However when I checked my cart, there was no option for "mail innovations," but rather the same 'ole UPS Saver.

Has the UPS Saver been replaced with this "mail innovations," and they are simply not relabeling it? If so, that's very tacky
frown.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 18
is this the same thing as the egg saver where it goes from DHL to USPS but just a different company before USPS? I haven't ordered much lately but my experience with that is only 1 package and it wasn't totally bad but not something I was anticipating to arrive.

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 18
This is just a horrible idea being marketed as a good one. Their explanation is that, by offloading the package to USPS, stuff can be delivered on Saturdays so you don't have to wait til Monday to get your stuff... except they never mentioned that it would be delivered two Saturdays later because the packages would be used as chairs for two weeks in a USPS office.

I actually don't mind waiting longer, but the thing is, after UPS hands it off to USPS, the tracking will never be updated again and there is no way to know if they have delivered the stuff, or is it lost. It is just horrible.

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was scared by this news, given I have a rather large newegg order on deck. However when I checked my cart, there was no option for "mail innovations," but rather the same 'ole UPS Saver.

Has the UPS Saver been replaced with this "mail innovations," and they are simply not relabeling it? If so, that's very tacky
frown.gif

they label 'egg saver' but don't say too much about what is really going on. my guess is that they are not proud of this fact but are 'forced' to pick it to stay competitive.

ups ground is no longer an option that I can find. aliases for 'other' things are what I see. I expect this to get worse and not better, given our bad econ ;(

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 18
Maybe if USPS makes the delivery instead of United Package Smashers my packages will arrive in an "un-destroyed" state more often. I like this idea.

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe if USPS makes the delivery instead of United Package Smashers my packages will arrive in an "un-destroyed" state more often. I like this idea.

idk usps crushed the switches on my b22 last week box had holes and all sides dented in 2 days of usps destruction !

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #13 of 18
I ordered a usb memory stick from a newegg a while back and they used one of these "hybrid" services. I live about 20 minutes away from newegg and it took over a week for the package to arrive. spent 3-4 days at a USPS location in the opposite direction in Carson.

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 18
I hate the mail innovations... packages take a good 1-2 weeks longer than if USPS or UPS just delivered it on their own.

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #15 of 18
I used to do a lot of newegg orders. I could track the ups (even ground) pretty well down to the day and even if it was 'out for delivery' in the AM. with this new hybrid 'throw it over the wall' service you can't even see if its out for delivery. usps does the final handoff, I think, and so they don't give nearly the same tracking as even ups ground.

if wonder if the guy who came up with this hybrid mail concept was rewarded or fired? ...

it does not sound like its been a welcomed service by any means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back