???Ever Buy a Pair of Headphones DESPITE Negative Reviews???
Dec 19, 2023 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

E8ArmyDiver

100+ Head-Fier
OMG,I've had my head turned by a set of cans with ABSOLUTELY Super Model looks(Focal Clear MG)!I just can't stop looking at them,wondering if I should grab a pair while their on sale(----$400.00)..
The problem is all the reviews are conflicting.Some say they are bright & forward,a few say the are well balanced with a slight warmth which is what I like..
Some say the sound stage is cramped,some say it's expansive..ALL seem to agree they have excellent image specificty & good air around images...
Soooo have you ever bought headphones you just weren't sure about & had such mixed reviews???
Help me out here folks...

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 16
OMG,I've had my head turned by a set of cans with ABSOLUTELY Super Model looks(Focal Clear MG)!I just can't stop looking at them,wondering if I should grab a pair while their on sale(-$400.00)..
The problem is all the reviews are conflicting.Some say they are bright & forward,a few say the are well balanced with a slight warmth which is what I like..
Some say the sound stage is cramped,some say it's expansive..ALL seem to agree they have excellent image specificty & good air around images...
Soooo have you ever bought headphones you just weren't sure about & had such mixed reviews???

Yeah, actually I've bought headphones that had glowing reviews and hated them. And I've bought some that had mixed reviews and loved them. It's impossible to go solely off recommendations. With the Clear, however, I fall more into the first camp... bright and forward, stage is fine but nothing wow. They do have great dynamics though.

Dec 19, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 16
I found the MG's to be relaxed in the upper mids/lower treble but then a bit forward in the upper treble so they felt a bit dark but also detailed and airy. I really enjoyed them for music with lots of electric guitar. Eventually, I sold them for other gear and later returned to the OG Clears because they can be had for so cheap on the used market. They just sound a bit more "correct" than the MG's but also a bit harsh at times. The OG Clear are very good, I don't think the successor ever had much of a chance to set itself apart from the OG but also be reviewer approved. There are some positive reviews out there though.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 16
I have 6 Grado headphones purchased for as little as $60 up to $2000. I love the Grado house sound, and magic, but most reviewers absolutely hate them. I myself, couldn't be happier. Sound appreciation is unique to each individual..

Leo

Dec 19, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 16
Sivga SV021 Robin. Reviews were mixed but I decided to take a chance.

Hated them. Returned them within a week.

Dec 19, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 16
OMG,I've had my head turned by a set of cans with ABSOLUTELY Super Model looks(Focal Clear MG)!I just can't stop looking at them,wondering if I should grab a pair while their on sale(-$400.00)..
If you're comparing to the sundara, the clear mg is a big upgrade. $400 is a steal for the mg.

Everyone is different, even if something sounds good, there may be something in particular that you don't like about the headphone that makes it a deal breaker.

I tested out the VZR model one because a few people kept raving about it, one person in particular (apple fan boy). Kept going on and on about how it can produce bass like a JL sub...

Should have known better, its literally the worst headphone I've ever heard. Absolute trash, I've heard $10 iems that sound better. No words can describe how bad it is but I'll try... bass is muddy with zero texture or detail, sound is distant like they're trying to do something kind of spatial effect but failing horribly, no treble extension, sparkle or anything, poor resolution and detail retrieval.

Returned it the next day.

Like a kid that thinks he's drunk after downing 6 shirley temples. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 16
If you're comparing to the sundara, the clear mg is a big upgrade. $400 is a steal for the mg.

Everyone is different, even if something sounds good, there may be something in particular that you don't like about the headphone that makes it a deal breaker.

I tested out the VZR model one because a few people kept raving about it, one person in particular (apple fan boy). Kept going on and on about how it can produce bass like a JL sub...

Should have known better, its literally the worst headphone I've ever heard. Absolute trash, I've heard $10 iems that sound better. No words can describe how bad it is but I'll try... bass is muddy with zero texture or detail, sound is distant like they're trying to do something kind of spatial effect but failing horribly, no treble extension, sparkle or anything, poor resolution and detail retrieval.

Returned it the next day.

Like a kid that thinks he's drunk after downing 6 shirley temples. 🤦‍♂️
Well they are $1200.00 on sale @ $400.00 discount...Still the more I read the more I think they aren't much different from a real super model,beautiful to behold but under the surface maybe not so great..Probably pass on them...

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 16
Well they are $1200.00 on sale @ $400.00 discount...Still the more I read the more I think they aren't much different from a real super model,beautiful to behold but under the surface maybe not so great..Probably pass on them...

I have og clear, I prefer them to the mg. But they're both good, the mg is closer to neutral, less bass and has less energy in the treble.

But if you don't know focal's house sound then its possible you may not like it, some people complain about it but its like complaining about sony headphones being warm, its their house sound...

Again, it depends on what you're comparing them to.

If its the sundara, then its going to be that supermodel that is also a UFC fighter and finishing up her masters in physics.

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 16
If you have an itch, pick up something used. Quad ERA-1 is outstanding at its used price, so is the AKG K340 if you don't mind the fixed cable. Sash Tres is another great headphone that's highly overlooked.

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 16
What I want is an end game,do everything well,set of open backs..NOTHING bright or treble forward,natural & organic sounding...I've read 500 reviews on everything from Sundara to Susvara along with EVERY can under $5000.00 & nothing hit the marks..

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 16
Yes, not headphones though, I purchased a brand new 2000$ worth Contour XO IEM, despite JH Audio's less favorable reputation within the audiophile community (though that isn't the case with professional users). The outcome? Quite amazing. Objectively speaking, it has become one of the best in-ear monitors (IEMs) I have ever had the pleasure of listening to!

Dec 21, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #13 of 16
What I want is an end game,do everything well,set of open backs..NOTHING bright or treble forward,natural & organic sounding...I've read 500 reviews on everything from Sundara to Susvara along with EVERY can under $5000.00 & nothing hit the marks..
ZMF Atrium sounds like it could fit your needs.

Dec 21, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #14 of 16
I think thats the problem, almost all the reviewers are full of bs. Either the reviews are so bloated with the reviewer having diarrhea of words or they're just completely incorrect. Remember that just because these reviewers have access to more gear than you doesn't mean they can hear better or are a better judge than you.

Canjam is probably the best place to demo stuff and get an accurate idea of what you want. I'm not sure but I think they expanded to dallas now.

I recommend bringing a headphone of your own for reference, the highend amps and dacs on demo at the show, sometimes skew the curve and may not be an accurate depiction of what the headphones may sound like in your home system.

Dec 21, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #15 of 16
I think thats the problem, almost all the reviewers are full of bs. Either the reviews are so bloated with the reviewer having diarrhea of words or they're just completely incorrect. Remember that just because these reviewers have access to more gear than you doesn't mean they can hear better or are a better judge than you.

Canjam is probably the best place to demo stuff and get an accurate idea of what you want. I'm not sure but I think they expanded to dallas now.

I recommend bringing a headphone of your own for reference, the highend amps and dacs on demo at the show, sometimes skew the curve and may not be an accurate depiction of what the headphones may sound like in your home system.
Do agree and yes CanJam has made it to Dallas this past Nov and will be back next Nov 2nd and 3rd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back