Ever accidently kill something REALLY expencive?
Jun 17, 2003 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Xander

The XanMan is back!
I just got done spilling a rootbeer in a $4500 IBM ThinkPad last month.... Still need to buy a new one. Hurts......

Oh, and by the way NO DRINKING BY THE COMPUTER.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2003 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 24
I drink and eat by the computer all the time. Only one spill on the keyboard, and that was when I was very young.

Of course, there was the time when I got so upset at my computer randomly pausing for a half-second during a session of Unreal Tournament that I gave it a hard kick, and ended up breaking the 2D functionality of my GeForce 2 Pro card.
redface.gif

Jun 18, 2003 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Xander
I just got done spilling a rootbeer in a $4500 IBM ThinkPad last month.... Still need to buy a new one. Hurts......

Oh, and by the way NO DRINKING BY THE COMPUTER.
smily_headphones1.gif

What a waste of rootbeer man
biggrin.gif

I have had a bunch of really expensive ouches,some would make you cry.

I sheared the stylus off a $3000 cartridge before even laying it on a record for the first time.I dropped a rare and expensive acetate cyclinder causing my ban from a record collector site .The cylinder was insured and I collected on the claim but it can never be replaced.I have broken a bunch or rare,expensive records,including an engraved pressing of The Nat Cole Trio "St.Louis Blues",My Dad is still angry with me over that one.

When I was enlisted I laid a GPS encoder/reader(back when they cost $140,000) on the deck of a Huey.It was smashed to bit when it fell about 500 feet to the ground.I saw a bunch of that kind of stuff happen.I was never really blamed for that one because we were being shot at and ran my ass off.

I backed a fire engine into a fire house with the deck gun pointed straight up.The resulting damage to the house and engine forced the house to be closed and the fire companies(three in all) to be relocated for about two weeks for repairs.Toatl cost for damage to the house and engine was near $300,000.I was cleared on that because two other firefighters(including the guy responsible for stowing the deck gun) directed me right into the building.

Jun 18, 2003 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 24
Let's see, I took out a motherboard today, which will run me around $300 to replace it (have to buy new ram as well, PC-133 is out of date). There go my etys dammit.

I've wreaked a car: $2-3k. I've been driving a pickup truck when it burst into flames: $2-4k.

And I'm not even 20yrs old yet! I'm certainly wasting no time.

Jun 18, 2003 at 2:00 AM Post #7 of 24
A while back I left my $250 pair of glasses in a community bathroom. Who steals a pair of prescription eyeglasses!?

However I've truly mastered the art of crushing expensive Japanese Maple's with a hydraulic lift and putting holes in deck furniture and screen doors with a commercial power-washer. Add up two Summers full of unintentional carnage on the jobsite and I'd say you're looking at ~$5,000.

Jun 18, 2003 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 24
Well, there was the time many years ago when i jumped off an electric cart i was driving while it was still moving and it crashed through a wall of glass panels and sliding door to our office...that was 18 years ago and i still get teased by coworkers once in a while about that one...i only got an oral reprimand and fortunately didn't have to pay for the damages which must have been big bucks...
redface.gif

Jun 18, 2003 at 6:14 AM Post #10 of 24
Fred, I think you win!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

I've had a few close calls; the most memorable is probably the time my $800 Arcam CD player started to smoke after I'd swapped in a dual AD825 on a browndog (one of the chips was the wrong way round)...

...also, I've probably burned through at LEAST $300 in parts troubleshooting my KGSS. Most recent oops was when I connected the output to the collectors of the transistors at the bottom of the 2nd stage and created a positive feedback loop that resulted in a loud CRACK!, sparks, and smoke. (a positive feedback loop is like that SQEEEEEE that happens at assemblys when the mike gets too close to the speakers. Only in this case, the amp is operating off +/-350V.)

Jun 18, 2003 at 2:26 PM Post #11 of 24
I shorted out some electronic contraption probably involving LEDs i tried to control with my Commodore 64 in the 80s. Killed some really expensive part in the computer. Surely was expensive to me at the time.

Jun 18, 2003 at 2:33 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by legoman
I shorted out some electronic contraption probably involving LEDs i tried to control with my Commodore 64 in the 80s. Killed some really expensive part in the computer. Surely was expensive to me at the time.

If it makes you feel better that part is probably a ten cent IC now.

Jun 18, 2003 at 2:43 PM Post #13 of 24
My husband had the old Beyer990s non-pro headphones, and during an argument they were in my hand - I slammed my hand down on the table with the headphones in them - smashed the left driver to bits.
frown.gif

Then I replaced them with the HD500s. Oh the horror.
frown.gif

Jun 18, 2003 at 5:34 PM Post #14 of 24
I nearly burned down my parent's garage when I was a youngster. It wouldn't have been a big a deal, but my dad was rather attached to his new Porsche 928S that was parked inside.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2003 at 8:18 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba
If it makes you feel better that part is probably a ten cent IC now.

Actually, I am not so sure about that. I remember 2 repairs on my C64 that were almost equally expensive. One was the short-out with the expensive controller, converter, whatever, the other repair involved a $0.75 part, but an inordinate amount of labor cost to figure out that that was the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back