Eventually looking into an amp for the comp.
Jul 19, 2006 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

pheonix991

500+ Head-Fier
So, here in a few days I'm planning on ordering the A900's. Gunna be my first set of cans, and I'm wondering if they would be better with an amp comming from my computer(Audigy ZS2 Plat.). So, if they would, what amp should I get($100~$150 price range)?

And for my Zen Xtra, would a Pint amp help out at all?

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 18
Just letting you know that I have no personal experience with the Bithead with regards to how it sounds...anyway...

No, you don't have to use it through USB, it also accepts a line input that would come from your sound card. Honestly though, if you wanted to take full advantage of your sound card, you would want to use an optical connection from your sound cards front panel to a DAC, which in turn would lead to an amp to drive your headphones. Unfortunately, the cost of a DAC + Amp will definitely start to exceed $150. That's why pheonix991 recommended the Bithead, as it combines both in a relatively cheap package.

As for possible other standalone DACs and amps to recommend? I'll leave that to other more experienced Head-Fiers
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 18
Wait a minute, someone's confused. An optical output is a type of digital output, and the main purpose of a soundcard, at least as far as music is concerned, is to act as a DAC. Also, the Audigy 2 ZS' digital output is optical. To utilize it, you need an optical cable with a mini optical plug that will fit into the headphone jack. And, the line out you are talking about (what you would use a mini to mini cable for) is an analog signal, so you would be bypassing the total bithead's DAC and just using the amp. It would do nothing more for your computer than the total airhead would in this configuration.

If you get an external DAC, no matter how you hook it up to your computer, your soundcard won't be doing anything desirable to the digital signal. In the case of the Audigy, you would be better off bypassing it completely (via the USB port) than using its digital output. This is because it doesn't output anywhere near bitperfect: It converts the signal to 48KHz, and does a very poor job of it, severely damaging the digital signal. With the right software, you can get a bitperfect signal from a USB port, which is what you should do if you get an external DAC. I actually bought an Audigy 2 ZS intending to use it to hook my new Lavry DA10 up to my laptop via the optical output, and now I'm having to buy something else with a bit perfect digital output since I found out about this.

I wouldn't bother with an external DAC, though, because your soundcard will work just as good as anything you would get in your pricerange. I don't know what amp to recommend to you: Perhaps a Total Airhead? Good luck!

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Go for a HeadFive and a Zhaolu D2.

HeadFive and Zhaolu D2? Wouldn't that come out to, like, $600? I second that if you can afford it, though.

Let me sum up what I said above. I'm not sure if all that was clear: If your pricerange is $100-$150 and you own an Audigy 2 ZS, you don't need to bother with a DAC. Just get an amp.

Jul 20, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by steaxauce
Wait a minute, someone's confused. An optical output is a type of digital output, and the main purpose of a soundcard, at least as far as music is concerned, is to act as a DAC. Also, the Audigy 2 ZS' digital output is optical. To utilize it, you need an optical cable with a mini optical plug that will fit into the headphone jack. And, the line out you are talking about (what you would use a mini to mini cable for) is an analog signal, so you would be bypassing the total bithead's DAC and just using the amp. It would do nothing more for your computer than the total airhead would in this configuration.

If you get an external DAC, no matter how you hook it up to your computer, your soundcard won't be doing anything desirable to the digital signal. In the case of the Audigy, you would be better off bypassing it completely (via the USB port) than using its digital output. This is because it doesn't output anywhere near bitperfect: It converts the signal to 48KHz, and does a very poor job of it, severely damaging the digital signal. With the right software, you can get a bitperfect signal from a USB port, which is what you should do if you get an external DAC. I actually bought an Audigy 2 ZS intending to use it to hook my new Lavry DA10 up to my laptop via the optical output, and now I'm having to buy something else with a bit perfect digital output since I found out about this.

I wouldn't bother with an external DAC, though, because your soundcard will work just as good as anything you would get in your pricerange. I don't know what amp to recommend to you: Perhaps a Total Airhead? Good luck!

I am curious about this. I was looking at getting the audigy 2 zs platinum, which states it has a conversion rate of 24bit/96khz for 5.1. Doesn't this mean if i run an optical output in to the card and out from the headphone port that it will be 96khz?
On a side note, the xbox 360 (I believe) outputs at 16bits. Will the audigy upgrade this to 24bits before it converts to analog? If not, what will the rate of the analog signal be?

Jul 20, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ats314
I am curious about this. I was looking at getting the audigy 2 zs platinum, which states it has a conversion rate of 24bit/96khz for 5.1. Doesn't this mean if i run an optical output in to the card and out from the headphone port that it will be 96khz?
On a side note, the xbox 360 (I believe) outputs at 16bits. Will the audigy upgrade this to 24bits before it converts to analog? If not, what will the rate of the analog signal be?

I don't know, sorry. I don't think it convert to 24 bits, but I'm not sure. I'm using the optical output with my Lavry DA10 until my replacement for the soundcard arrives (probably tomorrow), and according to the display on the DA10, it's recieving a signal in 48KHz no matter what the sample rate of what my computer is playing is, but its being compatible with 96KHz audio has to mean something. You might have to mess with the settings to get it to do 96KHz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back