Even with IEM, a good portable amp still improves sound ...
Feb 21, 2008 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wquiles

500+ Head-Fier
This is something that the more experienced forum members already know, but being a newbe, this was great to experience first-hand!

I recently built a high-performance mini^3 amp and although it was a huge improvement for my Senn 580's over the PC headphone output, I was not sure I would needed the mini^3 amp with my Cowon iAudio 7 due to the nice amp in the Cowon, and given that my UE Triple.fi 10's are pretty sensitive. However, during my recent trip to Boston I had plenty of time in the plane to get the gain/volume perfect between the mini^3 and the Cowon to truly do back to back comparisons with my Triple 10's. Sure enough, I was able to verify the clear advantages of the mini^3 (even with an adjusted gain of one): bass becomes more punchy and precise, and the instruments seem more "separated" from each other. I know "volume" or level-wise you don't need to have an amplifier with IEM's, but I am sure to always take my mini^3 while traveling
wink.gif

Will

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 3
Knowing that sensitive IEMs hiss like mad in portable players, adding a ton of resistance to them is a must for me, so there's no doubt that I'll be wanting/needing an amp when I start using IEMs more.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back