Even better now! Denon AH-D7000 with Apogee Duet between Amp and Macbook Pro
Jan 16, 2009 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

paulchiu

Headphoneus Supremus
93259dd472c0325808a7b9dcc2cdd8b7.jpg

Got the Duet yesterday and really have not stopped listening to it since.

During the first 3 hours, heard numerous "pops" at irregular times, so i connected the breakout cables to the Headroom Max as well as the X-Can V3, but still the pops persists.

Called the tech folks at Apogee and Jay told me to disconnect the firewire 800 laCie external drive, as the timing of the 800 speed 1394 drives is interferring with the 400 speed operation of the Duet. Well, this fixed the noise but brings up another issue of not having the use of the faster 800 speed connection.

any experience here is greatly appreciated.

aside from this minor detail, beethoven's 9th, the butterfly lover and also sprach zarathustra all opened up enormously, as if the Denon AH-D7000 was seeing the outside world without windows or shades.
the soundstage just went out! stretching across the top of my head, i can literally hear the winds, the percussions, and the bass, in front and in the back of my head.

toccata and fugue shock my upper body with enough force that i felt my aeron chair vibrating.

i am very happy!

now, do i still need a better amp? (the Grace m902 is on sale, i hear)

paul

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 7
I have an OWC Mercury connected to the FW800 port of my iMac and a Duet running off the FW400 port with no pops or other interference of any kind. In fact I'm playing music off the external drive right now. What sample rate do you have selected in Audio Midi Setup?

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 7
Hopstretch

What "audio midi setup"?

Paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an OWC Mercury connected to the FW800 port of my iMac and a Duet running off the FW400 port with no pops or other interference of any kind. In fact I'm playing music off the external drive right now. What sample rate do you have selected in Audio Midi Setup?

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 7
i found a couple of authorized dealers that can discount. i pm'ed you.

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where is the grace m902 on sale?

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulchiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i found a couple of authorized dealers that can discount. i pm'ed you.

paul

Thanks I appreciate it!

Jan 21, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 7
anytime!

i am expecting my Grace M902B anyday now, direct from Grace.

i also ordered the Denon RCD-CX1 mini component with SACD player so to listen to my SACD collection while at the office with the Denon AH-D7000.

as for our Shure se530, i overlooked that it was named Product of the Year for accessories by Stereophile magazine. interestingly, this is like after 2 years the cans were introduced.

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks I appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back