Evan's β22 Stereo Amplifier Adventure!
Jun 18, 2009 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DoYouRight

Headphoneus Supremus
So, this is my first blog and I am very excited to begin this amazing undertaking. I have never done anything DIY therefore I outsourced my Uncle who has built preamps and poweramps for 20+ years for loudspeakers to help.
cool.gif

This will be a Balanced 6 board version with a Dual σ22 Regulated power supply, with chassis' based on KrMathis and FallenAngel's panels that AMB originally designed. Though they used 4 boards, 6 boards will give me the 4 boards of a balanced beta22 with each L and R both having active grounds instead of just passive. It will be like this:

http://www.amb.org/audio/beta22/balanced2.png

Suffice it to say this is a big task ahead and my uncle is extremely excited to help and he says it will be amazing, coming from someone with $20,000 preamps that makes me very happy as he would always call my interests childsplay.
beerchug.gif

I will maintain this with ~daily updates and pictures along the way

Any help when it comes to help, suggestions on volume pots/attenuators, connectors, psu parts, transistor upgrades, bass impacting parts, or any other general upgrades that I may not notice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and here let the magic begin!
atsmile.gif

popcorn.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 7
Just added a new soldering iron and tips, cardas silver solder, and will post my FPE design and chassis for those interested, it is a modified KrMathis/FallenAngel/Johnwmclean mainly to fit the 6 boards instead of 4 and also for different placement of inputs and knobs
biggrin.gif
Will do it tomorrow when I finalize some little touches.

Jul 7, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 7
I am in design phase of my chassis' panels, hard to take the best of those similar and make it exactly mine. But thanks to those who helped, and their awesome templates especially the logo for Twisted Pear Audio and the Buffalo
biggrin.gif

So Far: 1 mono has been completed : eg. 1 Left+, Left-, Ground

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 7
Alright I am happy to post that I have completed the 6 B22 boards as well as the Sigmas. I did blow one B22 on an early test but alas it worked out in the end!
beerchug.gif

All that is left now is to wait for my FPE panels to come and finish up the casework. Right now I am running it on my engineering/draft table laid out on a ground plate I found/made. Thanks to JohnWmclean, FallenAngel, and AMB for help given
atsmile.gif

This sounds better than I could ever imagined and soon it will look just as sexy! Can't believe something this amazing I was a builder for! The bass on this amp is PHENOMENAL to say the least it has new found control and insane impact on my Denons and can't wait to see how it pairs with HD800's when fall comes around, until then I am enjoying the bass so much I am in love! ... just don't tell the wife.
L3000.gif

My camera is broken, but when I get it replaced shortly I will post pics and a review including the B22's wife... the TPA Buffalo32s
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 7
After revitalizing the e22 backboard plane Groupbuy thread NMaher decided to do another run of which I will get 2 boards to house my 6 b22 boards and hopefully make it a little less messy and can finally case my baby up and throw some good pics
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 7
Hey! I was just going through your posts and found this blog. Congratulations on your new amp! How is the Buffalo32s coming? We all are eagerly waiting for your review of this setup to pop up.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #7 of 7
I am in process of getting some e22 groundplanes to make my chassis less messy. Waiting for N_Maher to ship em out and some final touch ups plus implementing an Arduino LCD1 for my Buffalo's MUX switch. Things slowed down lately waiting on parts
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back