Eva Cassidy - Songbird
Feb 27, 2002 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
I've heard of Eva Cassidy a while back but never picked up any of her CDs until recently. This is not an audiophile recording but the singing is some of the best I've heard. She is the first white female singer that I think has soul. She puts singers like Jane Monheit to shame. It's sad that she passed away in 1996 at the age of 33. I highly recommend this CD to anybody who likes female vocalists like Diana Krall and Patrica Barber.

B000006AKD.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Feb 27, 2002 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 10
SHE DIED!!!??? Man, I so rarely like a female vocalist, and I have found two that I liked recently only to find that one of them only released one SONG back in the 70's and Eva cassidy is DEAD.

Do you know how she died?

Mar 2, 2002 at 12:32 AM Post #6 of 10
Damn fine singer....

You'll have to go far to find better. She can take ordinary songs and turn them into something wonderful. She also has this great knack for taking a song singing and performing it in such a way that it ceases to be the original song but almosta new creation of her own.

"Time After Time" and "Fields of Gold" are both testament to this. Both great songs originally but they are so different to the originals that it's amazing.

Eva cassidy is a big favourite amongst BBC Radio Two listeners here in the UK after her Songbrid was played constantly by Terry Woogan and Bob Harris among others.

Sound As Ever

Mar 2, 2002 at 4:56 AM Post #7 of 10
Yes, I have the Live at Blues Alley recording and maintain that not only is the quality of the recording superb but the singing is just, well, as close to perfect as you get. She can be powerful or touching, and her guitar playing is excellent also.

I fall in love with her everytime I listen to that cd... I need to find a vinyl of it.

Mar 2, 2002 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 10
I also highly recommended picking up some Eva Cassidy. Live at Blues Alley, in my humble opinion, is her best album. She can really belt, and does have one of the most beautiful singing voices I've ever heard.

Mar 4, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 10
I went out and picked up the rest of her CDs. "Live at Blues Alley" is just amazing. I also think "Time After Time" is very good. "Eva by Heart" I have yet to hear but will soon. She is very good at taking an old song and making it her own.

Mar 7, 2002 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 10
I just have to agree that Live at Blues Alley is a great recording. I think her voice really takes you back in time to the likes of Etta James, yet still has her own style to it.

My local Wal-Mart actually had all of her CDs, surprisingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back