Euthanasia for my iPod Classic?
Dec 24, 2013 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

joeeboh

New Head-Fier
HEYY!!!

Currently own a 7 year old iPod 6G

Thing is, the iPod does not respond to the button inputs (ie. clickwheel and centre button), but still manages to sync and play in its dock. Everything other than the clickwheel and centre button seems fine.

Should I:

1. attempt to replace the clickwheel? itll cost me ~30usd to do so
- just worried that something else will break in the near future since its so old (ie hdd, lcd, headphone jack etc).
- love the ability to upgrade with tarkan's cf mod and diymod.
- thing is i dont want to pile time and money into something that will let me down. seven years is an awful long lifespan imo.

2. move on to a sansa clip/dx50/cowon x9
- i use a westone 3 and pl50 if that helps

all comments greatly appreciated!

thanks!

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 6
Consider a 5G for its DAC and add a bigger hard drive. I'm currently tinkering with a Clip+, but an iPod has unbelievably better build quality. If you're used to iPod, it's an "adjustment."

The UIs on the high end DAPs haven't impressed me and some other members have been disappointed too
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EKAp1yZDhM), except for A&K but that's too much money for a mere portable.

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #4 of 6
  Thanks for the quick reply.

So I shouldn't have to worry about the potential lifespan of these iPods, since you have recommended an older version?

If it's in otherwise good shape.

I dislike iTunes and the Apple OSs, but they have the best build quality of all but the most expensive DAPs. 

Dec 24, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 6
  Ah ha! This is where rockbox comes into play. Thank you and Merry Xmas! 

That's precisely where I'm a little stuck with the Clip+. But I'll start a thread about it another time. Merry Christmas to you too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back