European Plugs
Aug 11, 2005 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nitsujH

New Head-Fier
I'm going to be taking a two week trip to Europe next summer, and I've just come to the realization that there are different plugs over there. I was wondering if there is some sort of adaptor I can use so my American plugged products will work? And if there is, is it safe to use on things such as mp3 players, laptops, and digital cameras?

Thanks

Aug 11, 2005 at 9:21 AM Post #2 of 8
Short answer: Yes, but.

Long answer:
In Europe you will face voltages ranging from 220-240V, and while the major part of the continent uses the same plugs Italian plugs are a little different and British plugs a very different. So you need to
a) tell us where you are going
b) check your portable equipment's powersupplies' labels for the relevant information "110-220/240V".
If your devices are not fit for the voltage you will need a stepdown converter, but buy a quality unit so you don't set the place on fire. If your "mp3 players & laptops" are made by Apple you can be sure that all you need is a matching travel adaptor which you can get in any airport or travel supply store. Nevertheless any self-respecting creator of portable equipment should make it fit for international travel. You should rather list items you find UNFIT for 220/240V so whoever made them can get the whipping he deserves.

Aug 11, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Short answer: Yes, but.

Long answer:
In Europe you will face voltages ranging from 220-240V, and while the major part of the continent uses the same plugs Italian plugs are a little different and British plugs a very different. So you need to
a) tell us where you are going
b) check your portable equipment's powersupplies' labels for the relevant information "110-220/240V".
If your devices are not fit for the voltage you will need a stepdown converter, but buy a quality unit so you don't set the place on fire. If your "mp3 players & laptops" are made by Apple you can be sure that all you need is a matching travel adaptor which you can get in any airport or travel supply store. Nevertheless any self-respecting creator of portable equipment should make it fit for international travel. You should rather list items you find UNFIT for 220/240V so whoever made them can get the whipping he deserves.

Well, I'm going to Spain, Italy, and France. So I take it I'd have ot buy a couple different ones?
The only thing I have handy at the moment is my mp3 player's plug, it says "Input: 100-240V~ 400mA 50-60Hz" so this should be good for use over there?
And nope, I don't have any Apple products.

Aug 11, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 8
If you find yourself a tourism information centre, they normally sell some international adaptors that fit almost any country in the world!!( no kidding) I have a couple myself and they are really cheap, about 10$ depending where you get them!!! You must be really careful with the voltages or you will fry your stuff!!! Greeting from Portugal and from England!!!!

Cheers!!

Manuel

Aug 11, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nitsujH
The only thing I have handy at the moment is my mp3 player's plug, it says "Input: 100-240V~ 400mA 50-60Hz" so this should be good for use over there?

Yes, that's perfect, you just need one of those multi-adaptors MASantos mentioned.

Aug 12, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 8
This, while a bit pricey, is an elegant solution to your problem. This product will also convert European voltages down to American specs. It's just not good for high wattage devices like hair dryers, etc.

Or this from the MoMA if you want something artsy and don't need the voltage conversion.

Aug 13, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
This, while a bit pricey, is an elegant solution to your problem. This product will also convert European voltages down to American specs. It's just not good for high wattage devices like hair dryers, etc.

That looks awesome, I might order one of those. Is there anything I can get that would allow me to use things like that? One of my friends is going, and I'm sure she would like to use her hair dryer. The specs on that are 125V AC 60Hz 1875W, but me being a newb to all this stuff, i think i can safly say that's going to be hard to use over there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back