European meetup - post your ideas here
Mar 25, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #196 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True. Also I can imagine getting through customs with any electrical equipment with wires and cables might be a drawn out process.

[political-flame-on]If the Lisbon treaty took our democracy from us, we might as well benefit from the freedom of movement it left behind.[/political-flame-off]

I agree to that. But as usual - the Americans do the action, the Europeans only talk.

I would do anything possible for me to support, attend, help arrange and promote a European meet anywhere on the continent.

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #197 of 234
ramushorn LOL nice observation.

I'd also be happy to do anything to help. Being in the UK probably makes me of limited use but the offer is there.

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #198 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
krmathis,
Well if we all express our preferences, there should end up with a 1st 2nd and 3rd option - if no one steps up for the 1st we move to 2nd and so on.

Sure! We can try it that way.

My preferences would be:
1. Copenhagen, Denmark
2. Hamburg, Germany
3. Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4. London, UK

Copenhagen and Hamburg at the top because they are easily available with flights from "anywhere".
Plus the travel distance is about the same if you come from the North (Sweden, Norway, Finland, ...), the East (Poland, Russia, Czech Republic, ..), the South (Spain, Italy, Portugal, ...) or the West (UK, Ireland, France, ...).

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #199 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My preferences would be:
1. Copenhagen, Denmark
2. Hamburg, Germany
3. Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4. London, UK

Copenhagen and Hamburg at the top because they are easily available with flights from "anywhere".
Plus the travel distance is about the same if you come from the North (Sweden, Norway, Finland, ...), the East (Poland, Russia, Czech Republic, ..), the South (Spain, Italy, Portugal, ...) or the West (UK, Ireland, France, ...).

I agree to Copenhagen or Hamburg.
A note to Copenhagen is that we already have a group of enthustiastic Head-fiers and we have arranged meets every fall for the past years. The only thing we need to change is finding a bigger place for the event.
Several of the attendees of the last meet also have good connections to potential exhibitors.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #200 of 234
My preferences would be

1. London (because I'm selfish)
2. Amsterdam (because it's supposed to be fun)
3. Berlin (because I have friends there)

All pretty self-centred reasons.
wink.gif

I'd be more than happy to go to Copenhagan if that was the consensus though.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #201 of 234
Sorry, haven't read through everything but would certainly recommend Frankfurt or Düsseldorf over Berlin and Hamburg for Germany. Both are more-easily accessible (by trains, planes, and automobiles) and should be better ausgestattet for conventions, if you'll pardon my German.

Also, Hamburg is a horribly over-rated and miserable city. The Reeperbahn is much better described by Tom Waits than by my north German friends who express an inexplicable affinity toward St. Pauli. Maybe it's because their soccer team is cutely horrible? The beer in Hamburg is also miserable, though famous... the offensively inoffensive Beck's and the faux-prole Astra.

Düsseldorf, however, while it doesn't have Hamburg's ponds, sports one of Germany's best local beer varieties -- the Altbier. Manufactured in many brew-houses scattered throughout the little city. If the meet is there, I will come, and I will be happy to teach interested Euro-Fiers how to double-chug them at Uerige. Another interesting advantage of Düsseldorf is that while it offers less to see than Berlin or Amsterdam, you can get a good feel for it in a weekend. And its small remaining "old town" is quite charming though it is, again, small. With Berlin or Amsterdam, you won't see even a little part of it within the couple of evenings you might be there for the meet.

So that's my case for Düsseldorf. If I can provide some assistance with the planning, I'll likely be happy to help... though I don't know how much time I could commit.

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #203 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So that's my case for Düsseldorf. If I can provide some assistance with the planning, I'll likely be happy to help... though I don't know how much time I could commit.

Hmm see - that is the problem then. No matter how great your beer is, and I am sure it IS great and I love german beer. If you are not willing to arrange the whole thing, then you will have no European Head-fi meet in your town.
wink_face.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #204 of 234
Well, I actually live over 3 hours away by train. That's why I couldn't commit so very much time. If we were to have a meet in Freiburg (where I live), I could do more. But Freiburg is not easily accessible by plane, so I would not recommend it.

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #205 of 234
Okay people - man up and move out!
We going to get this bootstrapped up and going somewhere and as the 4th largest international group in head-fi (considering that head-fi.org is reasonable representable to the community?) we do have the muscle.

Apr 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #206 of 234
Of the locations I saw, I could manage going to Munich (or any other German place), Copenhagen or Amsterdam. If the meet was in these places I can take my dac, if in munich then possibly my (life threatening
smily_headphones1.gif
) amp.

Has Vienna been suggested? That would be the best for me, besides Budapest.

Great Idea, btw!

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #207 of 234
Don't let my low post count confuse you, i've been lurking here forever, finally took the plunge last week and signed up.

To make up for my passive head-fi use so far, I'd offer help with organizing a meet-up in Berlin. It would make perfect sense for me to have it during IFA season. We could seize the opportunity for a one-day visit while everybody's here. I'd offer to talk to local companies like Teufel, maybe we could visit their offices too.

Being a PR consultant, I have some experience with setting up events. Anybody else here from Berlin, willing to help start an organizing team?

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #208 of 234
We just need to make a decision now I think.

Maybe we should set up a poll thread (anyone know how to do that?) with popular options let the poll run for a week and the most votes wins:

Copenhagan
Berlin
etc etc (Amsterdam? London?)

There are people in Berlin and Copenhagan who have already said they could do the organisation, I think any option on the poll should have this.

I know some of the Germans don't want it to be in Berlin but you have to admit that to non-Germans a weekend break to Berlin sounds more appealing than to somewhere they've never heard of.

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #209 of 234
I would be more than happy to go to Berlin as well.

We do have agreement in the Danish group to set up an event in Copenhagen in the fall. A few people have signed in to help organise. But I am sure that most of us would be able to help if it was being held in Berlin as well. Berlin is a great city and would be great for eastern europeans too. Plus prices for accomodation and eating is MUCH cheaper than Copenhagen.

Let us know what you think so planning and booking can begin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back