European head-fiers: headphone amp under 350 €?
Dec 25, 2021 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ishmaelk

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, everyone!
I've seen a lot of threads about best headphone amps under several budgets. The one I'm in now is 300 euros, and whenever I look for recommendations, it's inevitable to run into Asgard 3, Jotunheim 2, etc.
It seems like, for the price, those Schiit amps are great. But, for anyone who, like me, is located in the EU, Schiit stuff needs to be imported and the cost puts them in another category.
For example, the Asgard 3, after the price was raised to 249$, plus shipping and import duties will cost roughly 325-350 euros. That puts it against competition like Audio-GD A2, Lake People G103S MKII, Aune X7S, Gustard H16...
Is there anything easily available in the EU that can compete, or beat, the Asgard 3 for up to 350 euros?
Thanks!

Dec 25, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 11
What headphones do you currently own or plan on buying?

Dec 26, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 11
What headphones do you currently own or plan on buying?
I own the HD6XX and Avantone Planar.
I downsized my gear, and sold my HD800S, Ananda, Bifrost 2, Burson Composer / Soloist 3XP among other stuff. I just want a couple of complementary headphones and a simple dac and headamp combo.
The new Lake People G103S MKII looks good. Are Lake People's amps discrete designs or chip based? Or does it depend on the model?

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 11
I like the Audio-GD brand, have bought from them three times, no regrets :)
Also check out the Topping brand.
But not familiar with the other stuff you have listed.

Dec 26, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 11
I am not very interested in any Topping gear. I have had several of their products, such as D50S, D10, D30, A90... I have never been impressed.
I had a Jot 2 and it ran circles around the A90. Even the Magni 3+ sounds better to my taste than the A90. I can get why people may like the A90, its a powerful amp, but its presentation is so flat that I just don't find it natural and I just never felt like using it and got rid of it.
The only Topping amp I thought was good for the price was the L30 amp, which is comparable to the Magni 3+, but not better.
The Audio-Gd is a different story. Their stuff looks interesting but I was curious as to how it stacks up against Schiit stuff.

Dec 26, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 11
I prefer all in one units and Schiit caters to separate units (DAC & amp).
So I lean towards the Audio-GD, currently using the NFB-11.28.
You might check out the warranty on all the stuff your looking into, like were you would have to ship the stuff for warranty repair.

Dec 28, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #10 of 11
I am not very interested in any Topping gear. I have had several of their products, such as D50S, D10, D30, A90... I have never been impressed.
I had a Jot 2 and it ran circles around the A90. Even the Magni 3+ sounds better to my taste than the A90. I can get why people may like the A90, its a powerful amp, but its presentation is so flat that I just don't find it natural and I just never felt like using it and got rid of it.
The only Topping amp I thought was good for the price was the L30 amp, which is comparable to the Magni 3+, but not better.
The Audio-Gd is a different story. Their stuff looks interesting but I was curious as to how it stacks up against Schiit stuff.
No offense, but your headphones are very flat or boring sounding... I dont know what youre hoping to achieve? Sure some amps provide some nice coloration, but youre better off with just different headphones.

Dec 28, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #11 of 11
No offense, but your headphones are very flat or boring sounding... I dont know what youre hoping to achieve? Sure some amps provide some nice coloration, but youre better off with just different headphones.

🤣 It would be interesting to see all the "I'm looking for advice on a new amp" threads be answered with a "change your headphones instead". And consider it done.
Maybe there should only be a forum for headphones, and be done with the rest.
You probably think I've had only two or three headphones and I don't know what I'm missing. Or maybe I just like these headphones more than I like my headphone amp.
Has that ever happened to you? I bet it has.
I've had many headphones and I would never call the HD6XX nor the Avantone Planar flat or boring sounding. At this point they have certain characteristics that I like and I want to keep. Or maybe not, you know how this hobby is. I sure am not going to get rid of the 6XX anytime soon.
There are plenty of characteristics in an amp other than coloration that may make you like one over another: separation, soundstage, depth...
I know in the under 350 euros budget depth, for example, isn't going to be huge, but even in this price range there are obvious differences between a Magni 3+ and a L30 or a Zen Can, for example. And those differences are going to be there, regardless of my choice of headphones.
So, what I'm looking for, and I will have to quote my first post in this thread to make myself clear, is "Is there anything easily available in the EU that can compete, or beat, the Asgard 3 for up to 350 euros?"
And I mentioned the Asgard 3 because it seems to be the budget king for width, power and depth in its presentation. Anytime you look for any advice under 300$ it's inevitable to run into a lot of head-fiers recommending it. So, what if you live in the EU and Schiit gear is hard to find?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back