European Head-Fi meet at Jan Meier’s house – Impressions
May 24, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #16 of 31
i arrived safe at home, took me 6 hours tho, i forgot to plan the weekend traffic.

But the meeting was really worthwhile.
biggrin.gif

i was lucky enough to arrive at jan's already the night before the meeting, so i had some hours to compare headphones on the prehead and the rega.

My opinions somewhat differ from pandas, as i am a sucker for trebly headphones. I was in love with the AKG1000, especially when it was driven over the MKV... they just have to be a perfect match.
I was also impressed by the Beyerdynamics 860... it shares the treble signature with the AKG1000 and my CD3K, it was pure bliss
k1000smile.gif

The Prehead itself is beyond good and evil, imo. It's doing it's job perfectly. Very transparent, and powerful enough to drive the k1000 without problems ^__^.
I personally didn't like the Grado and Senn650 that much, the grado had a too narrow sound for me, and the senn was just too dark. But those are my preferences.
rolleyes.gif

All in all, it was a really great meeting, and you can already count me in for the next one.
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2004 at 11:59 AM Post #17 of 31
Dear Headfellows,

Yep, it indeed was a very nice meeting. Sure, we only had 5 persons but they represented 4 nationalities! The advantage of having just a few people is, that everybody had plenty of opportunity to listen to the various setups. And listening they did. We started at 11.00 and, apart from a short lunch-break, the last people listened until 18.30! Their ears must have been dropping off.

Head-Fi rules forbid me to comment on the various amps and headphones but I hope they allow me to give some positivive comments on products that I don't sell myself.

I was very positively surprised by the Grado HP1000. Previous experience with Grado headphones truly failed to impress me, but this phone is a real nice one. A little bit too forward for my taste, and slightly lacking in bass, but I can really understand why so many people like this phone.

The Sony CD3K also was there. Very comfortable and good sound. A little bit hard-hitting at higher sound levels and some hints of coloration that might be reduced by damping the earcups, but overall a very pleasant headphone.

It was very interesting to see and hear how different people reacted to the same headphone. HiFi is a very personal experience. What was liked by some, wasn't always liked by others. It's true, you only will be happy when you trust your own ears!

All in all a nice way to spend a day. Lini, you have been missed!

:)

Jan

May 25, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #18 of 31
Arrrrrggghh!!!!!!!!!
I missed a Head-fi meet in my neighborhood
evil_smiley.gif

In order to prevent depression my mantra of the day is:
It isn't that bad! It isn't that bad! It isn't that bad! It isn't that bad! It isn't that bad! It isn't that bad! It isn't that bad! It isn't that bad ...............

In fact it isn't that bad to have missed the gear since I already own the most or have listened to it.
It would have been nice to meet some people I don't have to explain to that headphone listening isn't an inferior substitute but an own realm of listening enjoyment.

Jan Meier can't praise his own products, but I can.
I've listened to any amp in my reach and all I can say is that the urge to look for something better has ended with the arrival of the Prehead.As long as it lasts I will never again look for another solid state amp.
BTW, could anyone post impressions on the combo Prehead/K1000?
I have no cable or adapter to connect them, but maybe it's worth the effort to finally learn to solder.

May 25, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Lisa and ipodstudio, too bad you couldn't make it. Let's just have another European meet sometime in the future (maybe in 2 years?)
wink.gif

TMC, I added just another note to the comparison: In my opinion the HA1 was better, not different, but simply better. However, the bass on the Gilmore Lite was a bit tighter. The highs were too bright (very fatiguing).
Actually I didn't even like the Gilmore too much with the Grado HP1000.

Oh, and we did a listening test. It seems that I can hear up to 16khz.

Absolutely!! I'm definately in. I plan to get out to one of the US ones eventually, too.
wink.gif

May 25, 2004 at 3:38 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Let's just have another European meet sometime in the future

Perhaps some of you might visit Finland for our meeting, eh?
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier
Sure, we only had 5 persons but they represented 4 nationalities!

Just curious, which nations have been represented?

May 25, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permonic
Just curious, which nations have been represented?

Jan - The Netherlands
saint.panda -Germany
noir -Luxembourg
Harald, Jan's friend - probably Germany, possibly ???
Another person who I don't know who ???

So what's the fourth country?

May 25, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taurui
Well, we counted saint.panda as japanese (or Korean? Chinese? Please don't hurt me, saint.panda
biggrin.gif
) I think
icon10.gif

The fifth person was me, some german guy
wink.gif

-Taurui

Chinese and I'll hurt you bad
k1000smile.gif

May 25, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas
Perhaps some of you might visit Finland for our meeting, eh?
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I second that. There's really nowhere to sleep in my apartment (unless you bring a sleeping bag, I wouldn't wish my couch on anybody. It's comfy only for sitting).. but there's a Best Western hotel within walking distance of our neighborhood. Some of you Swedes could take a booze cruise here easily enough.
wink.gif

May 26, 2004 at 5:18 AM Post #26 of 31
Obviously everyone could speak English because you're posting on the board using the language, but was there a lot of German or any other languages being spoken? (I know it's a random question, but I'm a language freak).

May 26, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Yeah, I second that. There's really nowhere to sleep in my apartment (unless you bring a sleeping bag, I wouldn't wish my couch on anybody. It's comfy only for sitting).. but there's a Best Western hotel within walking distance of our neighborhood. Some of you Swedes could take a booze cruise here easily enough.
wink.gif

If you will arrange a visit to Mika Hakkinnen then I will come
wink.gif

May 26, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #28 of 31
It looks like you guys had a great time. Any time spent with Dr. Meier had to have been enjoyable. The next time you guys do one of these I will certainly try to make it.

May 26, 2004 at 9:09 AM Post #29 of 31
Looks like a head-fi geek's dream - tons of amps AND the maker there to chat with about his wonderful creations. That must have been a great time for all of you. Thanks for posting all your opinions. Too bad Jan didn't have the Big-O arund this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back