European Brands?
Sep 25, 2009 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

sknight

Head-Fier
Since I no longer live in the US, I don't have access to places where I can check out some of the most popular brands anymore, along with shipping and support being a bit tough/expensive.

What brands are native to Europe (preferably the Eurozone)? I'm currently in Germany, but I travel a lot and can cross borders to check things out, and hopefully get a good deal on what might be expensive in the US, along with local support.

Unfortunately, local electronics stores carry lower end stuff from Panasonic, JVC, mid stuff from Phillips, the Sony EX90, and Shure's stuff is just breaking in. I can pretty much rely on Shure, BUT not their cables, so I'm looking to stay away.

Sennheiser- only seen the cx300's around.

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 23
given the exchange rate and other reasons id say look at uk sites, many will ship to germany and should get a better selection than it seems is available in many eu countries

off top my head

play.com, amazon uk, amp3, iheadphones, hifiheadphones and mymemory

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 23
What brands are native to Europe?

I'm in a major city in Germany (Dresden), but it's the former East, and many things still haven't made it out here yet. I'm just a bit away from the more-western and less isolated Prague, but it's also a matter of knowing who the companies are that I can check out.

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 23
I'm not sure European brands will be easier for you to get ahold of than the Japanese stuff, but off the top of my head:

Headphones: Sennheiser, AKG, Ultrasone, German Maestro, MB Quart, Beyerdynamic

IEMs only: Radiopaq

Edit: damn, I was writing that for a while. Beaten by Mark to make the same exact point: European made doesn't mean you'll have an easier time finding them. Grados are US-made, but the in my experience the ratio of non-US made headphones to Grados here is about 10 million : 1

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 23
It's worth a shot. I have to head around a bit and see what's out there. One thing I'm expecting is the typical German/European products being more expensive here than in the US, but once in a while I can be surprised.

For ****s and giggles, I went to check around even for Panasonics, old and new, including anything like the hje 70. Nothing. Just lower end ones. Klipsch, nothing.

I should have also specified in my op that I was only looking for IEM's, which would certainly narrow my range. Germany is way more isolated from the world than people think. Hell, the former east is still isolated from the west in many ways.

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 23
I am in Germany for 4 years now, after Florida ... I dont know what you cant find ?

Every company you are looking for have list of dealers - and simple google search can do the job ...

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 23
Sennheiser, AKG; Ultrasone, beyerdynamic, German Maestro, ...

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by komi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am in Germany for 4 years now, after Florida ... I dont know what you cant find ?

Every company you are looking for have list of dealers - and simple google search can do the job ...

Chicken or the egg? I'm not looking for models from companies. I'm looking for who the companies are in the first place. Then I can go from there and find out what will fit my needs from there.

Little is available locally in the first place.

Quote:

Sennheiser, AKG; Ultrasone, beyerdynamic, German Maestro, ...

Thanks, time to start researching.

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by komi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A question .. You move to Germany for particulat reason right ?
On Government Orders or something ?

What business of it is yours? If you have a problem with me being in Germany, you can PM it to me.

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sknight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What business of it is yours? If you have a problem with me being in Germany, you can PM it to me.

LOL, i dont have ANY problems with you or anyone else , just a simple question ... I am On Government Orders - US Army, my question is if you have same status in Germany , cuz i can help you how to buy stuff in Germany without TAX ...

But, forget ...

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #14 of 23
Ahhh, then apologies.

The problem is that I encounter lots of anti-Americanism out here and that puts me on the defensive. It's especially bad and extremist in the former East.

I'm not here on government orders. Just a civilian.

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sknight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhh, then apologies.

The problem is that I encounter lots of anti-Americanism out here and that puts me on the defensive. It's especially bad and extremist in the former East.

I'm not here on government orders. Just a civilian.

Well, i am in germany now - all together 8 years ... 4 years in Bamberg, back to FLA for 2 and again Here in Schweinfurt, and i dont have any problems - ever about being American ... My wife and me gonna buy a house here if base going to stay here for longer time - but we dont have confirmation yet, if no - will move to Japan in couple years ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back