Euphoric Sound
Jun 15, 2021 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Mentros

New Head-Fier
I have been tinkering in this hobby for a year or two, but I have yet to hear a headphone or IEM with consistently euphoric sound. I currently own the UM Mest MKI among many other IEMs, and I usually pair them with the Ifi Zen Dac/CAN and the Earstudio MKII. I find them to be great IEMs, but they do not consistently deliver mind-numbing sound. Any suggestions on IEMs, headphones, or set-ups in general that can deliver euphoric sound will be very much appreciated!:darthsmile:

Jun 16, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 18
Any suggestions on IEMs, headphones, or set-ups in general that can deliver euphoric sound will be very much appreciated!:darthsmile:

Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage with Mcintosh monoblocs

Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage with Unison Research Unico

Aurum Cantus Volla with Cayin CS-55A in Triode

Aurum Cantus Harmony with Cayin CS-150A in Triode

Jun 17, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 18
Sennheiser HD650 + Bottlehead Crack.

Jun 17, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #8 of 18
I have been tinkering in this hobby for a year or two, but I have yet to hear a headphone or IEM with consistently euphoric sound. I currently own the UM Mest MKI among many other IEMs, and I usually pair them with the Ifi Zen Dac/CAN and the Earstudio MKII. I find them to be great IEMs, but they do not consistently deliver mind-numbing sound. Any suggestions on IEMs, headphones, or set-ups in general that can deliver euphoric sound will be very much appreciated!:darthsmile:
i’d highly recommend the Thieaudio Clairvoyance/Monarch - whichever one suits your tastes the best :)

I personally have the Clairs, and listening to them feels like drinking a glass of water after spending 3 days in the desert (or like scratching a mosquito bite, so deeply satisfying and spine-chillingly good) with every genre.....many Monarch owners love theirs as well. the twins are very responsive to cable rolling (if you are into that madness, like myself), and there are 2 new models out (Oracle and Excalibur) that are quite a bit cheaper (and slightly more comfortable due to smaller shell size according to some people), with similar tuning to the OG twins mentioned above.

for what its worth, Crinacle has these listed as the two best value proposition IEMs, full stop. they are swimming with IEMs 2-5x their price point in his ranking, which is quite a statement; check out the thread here as well if you want to get more people's opinions on them, which I always recommend.

as a secondary recommendation, the Empire Ears Legend X is commonly regarded as the IEM with absolutely supernatural bass. many people who listened to it properly regard it as a well-balanced IEM (bass does not come at a cost to the rest of the frequency spectrum), which is another stellar achievement, since bass-focused IEMs tend to overhshadow the rest of the spectrum-

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #9 of 18
i’d highly recommend the Thieaudio Clairvoyance/Monarch - whichever one suits your tastes the best :)

I personally have the Clairs, and listening to them feels like drinking a glass of water after spending 3 days in the desert (or like scratching a mosquito bite, so deeply satisfying and spine-chillingly good) with every genre.....many Monarch owners love theirs as well. the twins are very responsive to cable rolling (if you are into that madness, like myself), and there are 2 new models out (Oracle and Excalibur) that are quite a bit cheaper (and slightly more comfortable due to smaller shell size according to some people), with similar tuning to the OG twins mentioned above.

for what its worth, Crinacle has these listed as the two best value proposition IEMs, full stop. they are swimming with IEMs 2-5x their price point in his ranking, which is quite a statement; check out the thread here as well if you want to get more people's opinions on them, which I always recommend.

as a secondary recommendation, the Empire Ears Legend X is commonly regarded as the IEM with absolutely supernatural bass. many people who listened to it properly regard it as a well-balanced IEM (bass does not come at a cost to the rest of the frequency spectrum), which is another stellar achievement, since bass-focused IEMs tend to overhshadow the rest of the spectrum-
Thank you for this compelling list! I was a little on the fence with Thieaudio, because of the Legacy 3, it was a little to muddled and bass heavy for my likes, but I’m guessing the Monarch and Clairvoyance are leagues above it in terms of technical performance. I have also heard the Legend X is a fan favorite. So many good choices to pick from, I just wish I could try them all.:dt880smile:

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #10 of 18
Thank you for this compelling list! I was a little on the fence with Thieaudio, because of the Legacy 3, it was a little to muddled and bass heavy for my likes, but I’m guessing the Monarch and Clairvoyance are leagues above it in terms of technical performance. I have also heard the Legend X is a fan favorite. So many good choices to pick from, I just wish I could try them all.:dt880smile:
ikr? would be awesome to have like top 10 favorite IEMs to compare directly haha

i personally haven't heard the Legacy 3, but from other impressions I believe you are right, they weren't the best -- if memory serves me right, some people in the Thieaudio thread confirmed that the Clairvoyance/Monarch (and Oracle/Excalibur) are indeed several levels beyond Thieaudio's previous Legacy IEMs in terms of technicalities and tonalities

best of luck!

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #11 of 18
ikr? would be awesome to have like top 10 favorite IEMs to compare directly haha

i personally haven't heard the Legacy 3, but from other impressions I believe you are right, they weren't the best -- if memory serves me right, some people in the Thieaudio thread confirmed that the Clairvoyance/Monarch (and Oracle/Excalibur) are indeed several levels beyond Thieaudio's previous Legacy IEMs in terms of technicalities and tonalities

best of luck!
Thank you! I’ll definitely try to get a hold of the IEMs you mentioned.

Jun 22, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #15 of 18
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back