Euphonic distortion
May 9, 2012 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FoxSpirit

Head-Fier
So I recently got into the topic of "objective" electronics contructions. Basically if key measurements are good enough, the whole thing will sound like a "gain wire". Or have no sound in itself.
Now, that may not be what pleases all people's ears most of the time. Certain "sounds" are liked by certain people, I formyself am all for a "lush" midrange. Some things enhance that feeling so I am partial to them. I also like some slight leading transient focus. One of my speakers does that.
So why not inestead of bickering and fighting about what sounds best, let's simply use 100% purely specced gear that has "no sound" and then use small tweaking devices??

I imagine something like a "tube buffer" where you can add a bit of tube sound. Comes with adjustable strength. You could prolly make a small device that enhances the leading transients giving a more "cleaned up" sound. Stuff like that.
Currently, I feel a lot of those are in many amps in one way or another, leading to endless discussions about better sound. When in fact, it's simply different sound. I feel if we went for pure gain wire in our electronics, we could much more effectively debate sound preferences.

What do you guys think?

May 9, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 7
I guess we are all too busy debating flaky reviewers!

May 9, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 7
While I agree with Fox, I'll say its not entirely necessary to do these changes after the amplification.
I mean, software EQ and plugins can achieve the same effect, and keeping the chain neutral ensures that *you* alter the signal as you want, the system simply adds the gain.

May 10, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 7
That sounds great and could be very useful.

... but I'm keeping my tube gear. The warm glow of KT88s beats a plain little box with knobs and buttons, IMO. :wink:

May 10, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 7
You can actually get plug-ins that create the euphonic distortion of a vacuum tube circuit?

May 10, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
You can actually get plug-ins that create the euphonic distortion of a vacuum tube circuit?

I think he likes them glowing tubes, the light can be very nice to look at in the dark. Not to mention some tube vsts can be pretty expensive, might as well build a cheap tube distortion drive or something like that. 

May 10, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

I don't see any reason why they shouldn't exist. Most analog effects can be reproduced in DSP.
http://www.antarestech.com/products/tube.shtml
http://spl.info/index.php?id=431&L=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back