Etys...worth a try?
Jan 14, 2005 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

justanotheruser

100+ Head-Fier
Should I try the Etys or do they sound more or less the same as the Shures? I thought I'd just "get by" with these Apple earbuds, but they're worse than I expected. lol, you guys weren't joking

Jan 14, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 17
It seems from people's comments here that the etys are the polar opposite of shures. One has weak bass while the other has weak highs. Your impression of the e5c is exactly how I felt about them when I had them. I'll be getting a pair of er-4p in a day or two and I can see how the really compare according to my taste.

Jan 14, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 17
Yes, worth a try, but best make sure of return policies just in case
icon10.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst
One has weak bass

I beg to differ on the lack of Ety bass opinion - Sure it's not gut churning but it's there,it goes deep and it's FAST!
etysmile.gif
Even better when amped!

Jan 15, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
I beg to differ on the lack of Ety bass opinion - Sure it's not gut churning but it's there,it goes deep and it's FAST!
etysmile.gif
Even better when amped!

Ha!!! You're right. I just got my ER-4P and man it's IMO better than than the E5, 3, and 2 I owned before for my taste. Not enough bass? Seems good enough for me. The extra high end detail and energy are definitly welcome change!!!

Jan 15, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 17
Zuerest...would you call the etys "impressive" or just a substantial improvement over the shures. An improvement isn't what I'm looking for...I'd need an altogether different experience given my impression of the E5s! Thanks!

Jan 15, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 17
Ety's are definitely worth a try. I use my ER4P's all the time. No complaints about the sound. They benefit from an amp, but don't need one and sound great right out of my Ipod. Bass is fine in my opinion, although some people think it is a bit weak. With A a poor source or low quality mp3 all the defects of the source come through. With a good source they are amazing!

Jan 15, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by justanotheruser
Zuerest...would you call the etys "impressive" or just a substantial improvement over the shures. An improvement isn't what I'm looking for...I'd need an altogether different experience given my impression of the E5s! Thanks!

From memory, compared to the E5, the ER4 doesn't "blow them out of the water" per se. But they certainly have different character. And that difference in character is to my liking/taste. I have discovered that I like clear and detailed sound and I certainly need my highs. The highs are definitly better than the E5. But the low is a step back in terms of visceral punch but it is enough for me. At $200 vs $350 bucks it certainly is an easy choice for me.

Jan 15, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #14 of 17
"Should I try the Etys"

Weather you wait or not, the answer is YES. If they improve on them I would be very impressed. I might even be forced to buy a second pair.

Jan 15, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
Ipod Lounge reports scheduled improvements to the entire Ety line in the coming months, it might be best to wait and see what arrives.

How reliable is this information?

Edit: Where on iPod Lounge can I find this report/info?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back