Etys - short listening possible?
Jun 15, 2003 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

MagicBoy14

New Head-Fier
Hiya, I thought about getting a pair of Etys, cause my wallet's actually big enough to get one
biggrin.gif
, but the thing I'm worried about is that I'll only be listening to them mostly for 20-25 minute stretches at a time. Will Etys be practical to put in and take out repeatedly for those time periods?

Thanks for your help in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, if it matters... I'm currently using an iPod and Sennheiser MX500s.

Jun 15, 2003 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 15
I use them at work when i really do not want to be disturbed. I find that it is more of an annoyance if you need to take them in and out. It is very easy to become engrossed in what you are doing and when someone interrupts you it is more of a bother than anything else. I find that i enjoy them the most when I can insert them and leave them for long periods, like when flying.

Jun 15, 2003 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 15
Do you mean taking them on and off frequently during the 25 minute time period or do you mean you'll put them in, listen for 25 minutes, and hten take them out?

If it's the latter (a train ride or something), I think the Etys are certainly fine for that purpose. I used them on the train a lot.

Jun 15, 2003 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 15
Once you have got used to them you can get them in ten seconds flat - no problem.

You may find after the music has started you need to pull on the tops and earlobes to get the equalisation right but that only takes a couple of seconds.

Perhaps you would be better off getting the Ety's for best and using something like Koss KSC-35's or PortaPro's for your shorter sessions.

I hope this helps.

Jun 15, 2003 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 15
I don't know what the ER-4 P and ER-4S are like, but I have the ER-6 and its no problem putting them in for 20-25 mins only.

The platic tips are a pain in the butt, but the foam ones are very easy - you squeeze them stick them in your ear and they expand to block out the external sounds. Takes no more than 5-10 seconds.

Its not different than contact lenses - the first couple times, it takes a while ust to feel out how it works for you, then after that you can do it in seconds without really thinking about it. In fact, its much easier than contact lenses!

Jun 15, 2003 at 10:50 PM Post #8 of 15
10 seconds? i get both er-6s in with seal in like 2 seconds.
smily_headphones1.gif
maybe i'm just lucky though, cause i get seal really easily and love the control and depth these things have with bass because of it. so yeah, in and out for me is no problem. i use the plastic ones btw. that and i used to wear earplugs in the same design all the time so maybe my ears just got used to the shape.

Jun 15, 2003 at 11:13 PM Post #10 of 15
i like ipod + er-6. little bright, not too bad. v6 + ipod feels like nails in my brain after 10 minutes though.

Jun 15, 2003 at 11:18 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
10 seconds? i get both er-6s in with seal in like 2 seconds.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nah, I know it doesn't take 10 sec to put them in! :) But with the foam tips, if you don't turn on themusic immediately, you can literally hear them expand as you gradually go from hearing the outside word to basically being isolated. That takes about 10 secs from beginning to end. But its not like you can't play music right away or whatever....

Jun 16, 2003 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 15
I've never had trouble inserting Etys. I use the white tips and I don't shove them in as far as possible like some people do.
eek.gif
I find that they sound better when they're in a little shallower.

Jun 16, 2003 at 2:49 AM Post #13 of 15
OK, another Ety question ... I use the ER-20 earplugs, wonderful little things, and they look exactly like the ER-4x's from the pictures I've seen of them. Do the two fit the same way? I have no trouble at all with the earplugs, and they're fairly comfortable except for the occassional itching sensation that can come with them in. Sorry if I changed the subject on you guys....

Jun 16, 2003 at 3:02 AM Post #14 of 15
I find the ER4P very comfortable no matter how long I have them in.

I put left and right in at the same time and it seriously only takes a second or two. How could it take a whole minute? Maybe I just have receptive ears or something.

I also don't find the ER4P bright at all but that might be source dependent. I've never had a chance to listen to an ipod.

I hope that helps.

MJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back