Ety's on their way
Mar 10, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #16 of 30
right now its pouring rain in the suburbs of mpls. Its supposed to turn over to freezing rain/snow/ice around 5PM...

It WILL be messy..
wink.gif

better engage the ol' 4wd in the pickup truck!
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by MN Ham Phones
I have friends in Phoenix who were born and raised in Minnesota. They don't miss the snow. I suspect I wouldn't either....

Well, maybe after what blux just said I don't miss it either.
biggrin.gif
Actually I may be moving back anyway. We'll see. Either location makes me happy. As long as there is a FEDEX truck I know I'll be ok. (ala Headroom)
smily_headphones1.gif
etysmile.gif

Mar 10, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #18 of 30
Does anyone here ever look at all the crap we put ourselves through just to have some damned music on the go? Is it really worth all this effort? Is "CD quality" THAT important?

Just curious, but for me, I use EAC + LAME and I'm happy. I think that if I spent as much time as *some* people I know do (and read about or chat with), I'd ... I'd ...

Well I'd bash peoples heads in with my iPod mini... maybe 40-80 times.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

br0adband

ps
If you didn't get that, then you're not a regular around these parts.

Mar 11, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

The Ety's have arrived. And they have to wait for dinner and work papers to be dealt with.

The cruelty of it all....

you and I should combine are findings... just got mine today as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #22 of 30
Slam dinner, finish papers, throw them in car to stop the distractions, go online and register serial number. Quick scan the instructions, pop the foamies in my ear and....

Mar 11, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #24 of 30
After about 5 minutes use-----I'm happy!

It's waaaaay to early to critically evaluate them, but they are at least as good as my Grados. Appropriate bass, terrific detail. great separation, and fantastic isolation. These should really excel on airplanes. I've tried the Grados on the plane, but of course, the leakage is severe and not too conducive to a great musical experience.

Tried about four different songs so far, hearing some details not heard before on the Grados. Cool!

Me thinks already I need another set. I also badly want to assemble a Maple Tree amp.

Should be interesting pairing iTunes, with the Maple Tree and Etys
280smile.gif

Mar 11, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by blux
Sweet...

I feel a "team Minnesota" coming on.
biggrin.gif

I've seen this "team" thing a bunch of times now.

Is this a formal group somehow, or just a tagline to put in the signature?

I wanna be a charter member anyway.

Mar 11, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #26 of 30
I think its just a tagline to put into a signature, although, we could make it a formal team..
600smile.gif

Mar 11, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by br0adband
Does anyone here ever look at all the crap we put ourselves through just to have some damned music on the go? Is it really worth all this effort? Is "CD quality" THAT important?

Hmm. Camcorder bag. Contains RioVolt, iPod,
Sr-60s, KSC-55s, stock buds, 24 aa/aaa batts, ext cord, iPod charger, iRock, 1/8 to 1/4 adapters, FireWire cord, Six CDRs and MP3 discs, and now the Etys. So, no, it doesn't have to be CD quality. But I *will* have my music no matter where I go, power be damned. Not sure what will be tossed to fit a MINT in there though.

Mar 11, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

After about 5 minutes use-----I'm happy!

It's waaaaay to early to critically evaluate them, but they are at least as good as my Grados. Appropriate bass, terrific detail. great separation, and fantastic isolation. These should really excel on airplanes. I've tried the Grados on the plane, but of course, the leakage is severe and not too conducive to a great musical experience.

Tried about four different songs so far, hearing some details not heard before on the Grados. Cool!

Me thinks already I need another set. I also badly want to assemble a Maple Tree amp.

Should be interesting pairing iTunes, with the Maple Tree and Etys
280smile.gif

If you are happy with them after 5 minutes, just wait, they tame a tad in the begining, the detail is wonderful and SO addictive! I was listening to piece of classical music today that was a live recording, someone coughed and it scared the bejesus out of me! :-D

Scott

Scott

Mar 13, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #29 of 30
More comments after brief usage....

I find the foamies to be a bit uncomfortable. Puzzling, as I sometimes use foam style ear plugs at work and never was bothered by them. I want the better isolation the foamies provide, so I'm going to see if I adapt to them or they to me.

The shirt clip does wonders to eliminate cable noise. And it *hurts* to eat chips while using the Etys! There goes my second favorite pastime.

The detail reproduction is awesome. Nice to hear the valves on a trumpet slam shut. Not nice to hear compression of sound during high dynamic range reproduction (can't remember which song). Never heard this clipping thru my Grados.

That binaural recording of a box of matches is doubly fantastic thru the Etys. Made me giggle to myself.

Walked into a local high end stereo shop today to see about getting a moderately priced source. Decided to wait a couple months so I can get a Rotel or similar quality instead. Blame the Etys.

Mar 13, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #30 of 30
As far as the foamies, I use plugs to sleep and it took me a little while to get used to the ety foamies. Today I ordered a set of the Shure foamies to try. They bring music to life for me, the detail...or lordy the detail!
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back