Ety's Musicians earplugs review
Mar 1, 2007 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

A3rd.Zero

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my molded earplugs that accept the Etymotic musicians filters. I have been wearing them all day while cutting sound effects for a TV show on the CW. Early in the morning I set my monitors to the standard 82db for TV stuck in the plugs and brought the monitors up to around 105db. After some listening tests and extended wear this is what I found.

First I got my molds done at House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles. It was great, they had the impressions made in about 30min and I got the plugs about 20 days later. I went with sensephonics for the molds because a former employee said that they made the softest silicone of any of the companies. They were about $130, for the impressions, molds, and a set of filters (I got the 25db).

Sound:

Ok so we knew that they wouldn't sound like not having plugs in. Actually the quality of sound, or their response curve was really good. I listened to some of my test music that I know really well and I didn't find the sonics lacking at all. The thing that was noticeable however is that the music lost a great deal of dimensionality. All of a sudden the violin was not enveloping but rather coming in down a direct path. I think this is because the shape of my ear is bypassed and its just a transmission line right down the false canal of the earplug. This wasn't such a bad thing but it was noticeable. I don't however see any reason to listen to speakers with these plugs, and I think at live events there should be enough reflections, and sources that some of this effect will be canceled out.

Comfort:

I am used to wearing ety-6i's for 5 hour plane flights or while working in a wood shop all day so I know the feeling of plugs after wearing them all day. These plugs had nearly none of these effects. I left them in for about three hours and never once felt uncomfortable. They take a little while to figure out the insertion but they are a tighter fit then foams or the rubber ones while being much more comfortable.

While I haven't tried them at a live event yet I really like them. In fact I was a little disturbed at first that something was wrong because I could hear so clearly. Only after a check with the spl meter and subsequent removal of the plugs at 105db did I realize that they were in fact cutting a lot of sound out while leaving it clean and basically untouched.

I highly recommend these. I think that I'll have a greater tendency to use these than I did with the foams and for me my business is my ears, so I think it was a great investment. They sound better than I expected.

Milo

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #2 of 6
Wonderful! I scarcely ever come across a review on earplugs. I'll have to check this out. I'm gonna go to bed, so I'll give it a read tomorrow.

Mar 1, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 6
I'd love to get some customs but I just can't justify the $$ right now. I'm sure you'll love them.

I just picked up some Hearos High Fidelity plugs. (they're the same as Ety ER20) I've only experimented with them using my home stereo so far and they seem to work great. I'll give them a full workout with our band this weekend. They get good reviews and for $10-15 it's a no-brainer.

Mar 1, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 6
Nice and very tempting.
confused.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 6
Hmmm yea I'm still a teen, so getting customs at this age wouldn't be logical.

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 6
I looked at the ER20's and was originally going to go for them. What stopped me is the fact that flange earplugs, and foam earplugs hurt my ears after extend wear. I went to Coachella in '06, and after two days straight of wearing foams I got really fed up with them. I am sure that the sonics of the ER20's are great. They are supposed to be the same filters as the customs. The only difference to me between the ER20's and the customs are comfort and the ability to use different filter's for different tasks. If I didn't have so many loud hobbies then I think the ER20's would be right up my alley. and at nearly a 10th of the price everyone should have a pair.

Milo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back