Ety's Made My Music Capitalist!
Apr 4, 2003 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
One of my favorite pieces of music is the Communist Soviet Navy theme from the movie "The Hunt for the Red October".

I remember it as one of the most powerful choral pieces I have ever listened to. Whenever I listen to it I felt like the entire red army was singing to me - as a cohecive mass symbolizing the old soviet collectivist thinking.

Untill now....

I recently listened to the CD through my Ety's.....and the cohecive mass is now gone. Now whenever I listen to it it seems as if maybe 10 singers are singing it - not the whole red army!

Not only that but the cohecive mass - which symbolizes the mass of communism - is now gone. I can here differences between the singers voices.

Now in effect the once great communist work sounds...well capitalist. It sounds as if each one of the singers is a displaying his freedom and individualism - which I don't think the song was originally ment to do.

BTW - I am not a communist - I would rather die than be communist.

Apr 4, 2003 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 18
Sounds like it's all over-

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
The Hunt for Red October and Crimson Tide mark the swan songs of a long-standing genre: the cold-war-theme action thriller (and its subgenre, the nuclear-submarine-threat potboiler). Given the music here, composer Basil Poledouris must have sensed the end was nigh, for he pulls no punches. Poledouris (who seemingly wrote the score to Red Dawn as a warm-up exercise) has created a full-bodied orchestral swashbuckler with a male chorus (singing in Russian, of course) to boot; a modern take on the Erich Korngold/Errol Flynn film sensibility that ably demonstrates there's still life in those traditions. --Jerry McCulley

All sing in unison-

HYMN TO RED OCTOBER
Lyrics and Music by Basil Poledouris
Russian Translation by Herman Sinitzen

Holodna hmoora. -- Cold, hard, empty.
Eemruchnoh v'doosheh --Light that has left me,
Kak mohg znat ya shtoh tee oomriosh? --How could I know that you would die?

Do svidonia, byehreg rodnoy --Farewell again, our dear land.
Kak nam troodnag pridstahvit shtoh eto nyeh sohn. --So hard for us to imagine that it's real, and not a dream.
Rodina, dom radnoy, --Motherland, native home,
Do svidonia Rodina. --Farewell, our Motherland.

Ay. Avepakhod, avepakhod, nass val nahmarskaya zhdyot nyehdazh dyotsyah. --Let's go; the sea is waiting for us.
Nass zah vootmarskaya dah, ee preeboy! --The vastness of the sea is calling to us, and the tides!

Salute otsam ee nashem dedum --Hail to our fathers and forefathers.
Zahvietum eekh fsigdah vierney. --We are faithful to the covenant made with the past.
Tepierre nichtoh, nee astanoivit, --Now nothing can stop
Pabiedney shark, radnoy straney. --Our Motherland's victorious march.

Tiy pliyvee, pliyvee bestrashna, --Sail on fearlessly,
Gordest say viernykh marieye. --Pride of the Northern Seas.
Revoluytziye nadezhdah sgoostk vierif sekh luydeye. --Hope of the Revolution, you are the burst of faith of the people.

The last two stanzas repeat a couple of times, then:

V'oktyabreh, v'oktyabreh,--In October, in October,
Rahpar tu ium miy nashe pabiediy. --We report our victories to you, our Revolution.
V'oktyabreh, v'oktyabreh, Novie meeir fahli numnashy dehidiy. --And to the heritage left by you for us.

Apr 4, 2003 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
Now in effect the once great communist work sounds...well capitalist. It sounds as if each one of the singers is a displaying his freedom and individualism - which I don't think the song was originally ment to do.
BTW - I am not a communist - I would rather die than be communist.

Of course! Ety's are MADE IN USA (Big brother of all capitalist)
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2003 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 18
Of course Etymotic being a smaller company making high end products is the ideal capitalist dream right? Instead of the large, centrally plan manufacturing of the Soviet era.

BTW - I think the hunt sounds great through Etys. While it doesn't sound huge, there's some nice detail in voices (IMO). Etys are ideal for smaller chamber or solo classical music/voice. Can't beat listening to Bach's cello concertos through them.

Hmm... Gonna have to try to listen to The Hunt through my other headphones.

Apr 4, 2003 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by shafu
Can't beat listening to Bach's cello concertos through them.

The Bach Cello Suites cd is what I generally test all my new headphones with.
biggrin.gif
Current favorite: Beyer 831s. People complain they sound thin, but I like them better than hd600's when listening to cello.

Ugh I need to try the etys one of these days. Unfortunetly my list of headphone and headphone related crap is too large at this point lol
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 18
Maybe the first time he was listening though a soviet headphone (made in CCCP) of the cold war era, under Nikita Kruschev governement

fo_g0070.jpg

by the way I have some of those just in case......

t065.jpg

Apr 4, 2003 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 18
Well......do not underrate the enemy....I saw many good things of this era made by them... AKM, MIGs, Sovtek tubes, spaceships, etc...

Apr 5, 2003 at 1:19 AM Post #10 of 18
Kenwood Tower Speakers at my school....we played it as a joke
tongue.gif

I just remember from the movie that the orchestra just seemed bigger as well.

Apr 5, 2003 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 18
The funny thing though is when I downloaded a clip of it off RealPlayer at 40 kbs it sounded communist again through my etys
eek.gif

Apr 5, 2003 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 18
The dicussion of this thread is not one of politics.

However, this thread is about an absurd observativation.

Apr 5, 2003 at 4:07 AM Post #15 of 18
That was done on perpose.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back