Ety's hurt in one ear only
Apr 29, 2003 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

zEli173

New Head-Fier
Does nayone else have this problem?

I've had my ER4S's for a over a year now. I love the sound. Paired with my supermini it's one hell of a portable audio system. But I've always had fit issues.

I understand when people describe this phones as dissapearing in your ear, because that's what happens in my right ear with the foam tips. They couldn't be more comfortable, it's like wearing nothing at all.

But after wearing them for 30 minutes or so I almost always develop an incredible ache in my left ear. I mean a really bad ache, that seems like the phones are pressing on something very sensitive. The ache just gets worse the longer I wear them, although sometimes I am able to adjust them for fairly comfortable long term listening. Still, though, my left ear is relieved when I remove the Ety.

At this point I'm pretty confident that my two ears are anotomically different, althoguh I'm not sure. I've tried every fix I could think of or have read about. I spoke to the people at Etymotic, who understandably had trouble diagnosing the problem over the phone. The silicon tips have never been comfortable in either ear. I've tried the super large foamies, the super small ones, and also trimming foamies, all to get a more comfortable fit. I've also tried inserting them more and less deeply, but the ache always comes back. I haven't tried adapting tips from other cans.

Are there any more suggestions out there. The sound has totally spoiled me, but I really can't enjoy it.

Apr 29, 2003 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by zEli173
Does nayone else have this problem?

I've had my ER4S's for a over a year now. I love the sound. Paired with my supermini it's one hell of a portable audio system. But I've always had fit issues.

I understand when people describe this phones as dissapearing in your ear, because that's what happens in my right ear with the foam tips. They couldn't be more comfortable, it's like wearing nothing at all.

But after wearing them for 30 minutes or so I almost always develop an incredible ache in my left ear. I mean a really bad ache, that seems like the phones are pressing on something very sensitive. The ache just gets worse the longer I wear them, although sometimes I am able to adjust them for fairly comfortable long term listening. Still, though, my left ear is relieved when I remove the Ety.

At this point I'm pretty confident that my two ears are anotomically different, althoguh I'm not sure. I've tried every fix I could think of or have read about. I spoke to the people at Etymotic, who understandably had trouble diagnosing the problem over the phone. The silicon tips have never been comfortable in either ear. I've tried the super large foamies, the super small ones, and also trimming foamies, all to get a more comfortable fit. I've also tried inserting them more and less deeply, but the ache always comes back. I haven't tried adapting tips from other cans.

Are there any more suggestions out there. The sound has totally spoiled me, but I really can't enjoy it.

Your ears are probably not exactly the same size or shape. No easy cure, but surgery.

Apr 29, 2003 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
Your ears are probably not exactly the same size or shape. No easy cure, but surgery.

If your hearing is still good in both ears and there is no abnormal reason for this anatomical difference (ie tumor, fluid buildup) - I would hope that no surgeon would perform an operation like that.

Apr 29, 2003 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
If your hearing is still good in both ears and there is no abnormal reason for this anatomical difference (ie tumor, fluid buildup) - I would hope that no surgeon would perform an operation like that.

I was just joking, man! But it's quite usual to have significant asymmetry in bodies.

Apr 29, 2003 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 10
I had this problem when I first started wearing my ER-6's. But after about 2-3 times it doesn't happen anymore (maybe a little stretching happened, I'm not sure). Also I have the ER-20's (same tips as the ER-4 silicon). My left ear was extremely painful for the first several times. I'm not sure what happened but now only one of the tips fits well in my left ear, if I switch them I know right away.

Maybe try out the silicon tips again, don't insert them really far at first (your canal may need a little conditioning).

I found it particularly hurt when I would smile or swallow something.

Alternatively you could get custom made ear molds, which would definately solve your problem.

Hope you find a solution.

Apr 29, 2003 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 10
I have found that the Ety's don't need to be inserted all that deeply into the ear to achieve the excellent sound they are capable of. The important thing is to achieve the seal and equalise the pressure so you don't feel 'bunged up'.

Whilst earmoulds can help you get a consistent seal, they most certainly make you feel bunged up.

My Ety 4P's sound far better with the standard rubber tip than my Ety 6's do with custom made earmoulds.

Apr 29, 2003 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 10
You might try investing in the custom ear molds. Each ear is custom fitted. This may relieve the discomfort.

May 1, 2003 at 3:08 AM Post #9 of 10
You could try non-ety fomie. It's pretty much by trial an error.

Get a buch of earplug form the pharmacy. cut to the right size and put an hole in it. I sacrifice one foamie to get the small plastic tube in the middle but I'm not sure it's necessary.

I found that the one that has 33 db local noname brand is much more comfortable than the ety foamie less rought, but it take longer to expand. The sound is great. The 2 earplug I tried before gave a sligly muff sound. So some earplug sound sligtly better than others try.

Here how they do it with koss the plug same principle.
http://headwize2.powerpill.org/proje...=cmoy4_prj.htm

I used a blow torch and a needle instead faster.

May 3, 2003 at 4:59 AM Post #10 of 10
I've got a little knob of flesh just inside my right ear canal that protrudes far enough to put pressure on the tips of the Etymotics that I used to own. After a while, the pressure on this knob of flesh goes from a minor irritation to, sometimes, a throbbing pain. It is for this reason mainly that I had to be rid of my Etymotics. I was not about to invest an additional 100+ dollars in custom earmolds, since I listen mostly to rock music and didn't use the Etymotics much anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back