Ety's durable enough?
Dec 28, 2002 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for the best portable setup, size and soundwise, so I'm trying to keep with something without an amp. I'm looking at either the ER6 or the ER4P's..

So are both of these pairs fairly durable? They won't really be doing anything other than being jostled around inside a briefcase or being used at the gym. If they go in the pocket, I'll use the case for them...

I've heard more posts lately about the ER4's being kind of easy to break. How true is this? I'm thinking that if I spend this kind of money on the cans, I will treat them with respect and care, but sometimes stuff happens.

So what are the opinions on using either the ER6's or the ER4P's with something like a Sony MZ-E90 player?

thanks!
appar111

Dec 28, 2002 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 12
I'm wondering the same thing myself. I'm planning on getting the ER-4P but I'm curious as to how durable they actually are. I would be using them everyday carrying them to school with me etc.

Dec 28, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 12
From what I've read, the overall sound quality is obviously better with the 4P (as it should be, since it's $140 more!) but the ER6 seem to be a little more durable, pricepoint-wise their easier to replace, plus there isn't as much microphonic problems. With the leftover money I could get a pair of Audiotechnica's (some of the new A500/700/900 series) or something like the AKG K141S or K240S for strictly home use...

Dec 28, 2002 at 5:51 AM Post #4 of 12
The ER4Ps are durable enough in my opinion, although there have been several horror stories of late
frown.gif

That being said... with my pair being quite old, and both driver serial numbers in the 22700 area, that means that about 5500 pairs rolled out before mine (not forgetting that ETY keep a spare pair of drivers in their factory that are matched to the specs of the pair you have)... so, 2 or 3 out of 5000 (that we've seen at least) isn't a very big ratio at all
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2002 at 6:48 AM Post #5 of 12
As one of the poor unfortunates who just paid almost £60.00 ($96 approx) to return a pair of ER4P's to Etymotic for a warranty repair after 3 months of ownership, I would say that I generally agree with Duncan.

Personally, I will never use a foamie again, as even Don from Etymotic says that the tube can "set" and take the stem with it when you remove it if you don't twist it first.

I think if you treat the ER4's with respect (and use the white tips)
wink.gif
they will last a very long time indeed. They will also sound better than most of what is out there, including the HD600's that I now find quite disappointing particularly in the bass end of things where the detail of the Ety's allow you to hear what is going on rather than than muddying it all up like the Senns ( and just about everything else I've heard).

</end of opinionated rant>

Dec 28, 2002 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 12
Hey appar111.

I was the last one ( I think ) that had a broken ETY.

Yes, they are very fragile but, I was not careful enough. I think if you "treat the ER4's with respect " they will last as Duncan's.

And they sound SOOOOOO GOOD that I don't care about being that fragile.

I don't know about ER6's but I like my ER4's as I like my HD 600

biggrin.gif

Best

Ari

Dec 28, 2002 at 8:50 AM Post #8 of 12
Appar111,

If you are planning on using them in the gym or anything active, you'd want the ER6. The 4's have the problem with the cable.

I originally had the 6s and found them fairly durable, but the connectors and wires seems a bit on the thin side. I returned them to upgrade to the ER4Ps which are significantly better made (IMO). They should be fine for storing in the case or something else protective. I travel quite a bit and use an old altiods candy tin (the round ones) to carry my etys in my computer briefcase. I toss that around quite a bit while traveling and have had no problems.

One note - the white tips are a lot better than the foamies on the ER4Ps. The foam ones kept ungluing from the ruber tube. The white tips are plenty comfortable. While on the ER6, I found the foam to be of better quality and more comfortable than the silcon tips that came with them.

Finally, I remember reading once that someone (I think Don Wilson from Etymotic) left his ER4s in his pants and washed them in the washer. Worked fine once they dried off. Don't know of too many other headphones that would survive that!

PS - people who travel with Etys, what do you carry yours in?

Dec 28, 2002 at 8:58 AM Post #9 of 12
I remember I read it somewhere in the forum that a member had his Etys 4s in the washing machine accidently. He dried it off and did a test drive. Believe it or not...it still worked perfectly. Sounds like a joke, but who knows?
rolleyes.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2002 at 11:37 AM Post #10 of 12
I have had my Ety's for over a year now and they are still as good as new. The reason for this is simple - I don't wear them outside - they are just for private listening when sat down. Apart from the occlusion effect from footsteps which would drive me crazy, they are simply too expensive for me to take any risks with them.

BTW - I'm beginning to suspect that some Ety's are being weakened and/or broken when changing the filters - just give the little 'corkscrew' device a half turn before pulling out the used filters - don't try and go too deep.

For portable use I tend to use the wonderful Koss KSC-35's and occasionally the MX-400's - there's no way I would use the Ety's in a gym.

Dec 28, 2002 at 12:44 PM Post #11 of 12
I have ER-4Ps. I wear 'em inside/outside/inbed wherever. I where 'em while working in the yard. They are quite durable. The only thing I'm always sure to do is put them back in the pouch when not in use. I'm especially concerned that the cats will want to chew on them and then I would have to kill the cats!

Dec 28, 2002 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by bubbaj
I have ER-4Ps. I wear 'em inside/outside/inbed wherever. I where 'em while working in the yard. They are quite durable. The only thing I'm always sure to do is put them back in the pouch when not in use. I'm especially concerned that the cats will want to chew on them and then I would have to kill the cats!

I had exactly that happen with a big Himalayan and my ER-4Ps. Fortunately, he only destroyed the foamies. Lesson learned, I've never left them out again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back