Etys do not cancel much noise!!!
Feb 24, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #16 of 20
Noise cancellation and sound isolation are two different methods used to achieve the same effect-blocking out ambient noise. Etymotics and Shures are sound isolating, whereas some Sony buds and Bose headphones (forgot which model) emit frequencies that are supposed to cancel out ambient sounds by matching their wavelength/frequency. From I've read, these solutions are inferior to the seal method used by Ety and Shure.

If you feel you aren't getting enough isolation then you haven't inserted them properly. What you can try is to pull your ear up (the pinnae) and outwards to 'straighten' the ear canal, then insert your er6i. That should provide better isolation as the earpiece rests further in your ear.

Feb 24, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #17 of 20
At first I couldn't get my ER-6s in deep enough, and comfort wasn't great either. Then I tried inserting them upside down, and hey presto, that works fine. Now if only the darn tips weren't so expensive over here...

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssingh0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't know how to put them in!!!
eek.gif

So what is the right way? How much is far enough?

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #20 of 20
I'll agree with everyone else and say that no, you won't get sound cancellation. They don't inject white noise in such a way as to cancel out sounds around you. They don't need to do that, what they do is work like good earplugs. Will it remove 100% of the noise around you? No, that's not possible. The most currently possible would be around the realm of 30db's (I know ety claims a little more) of isolation. This may not seem like much, but you'd have to bend the rules of science as we currently know it to get more.

Try putting on some tunes though, and the isolation should start to pay off.

If it doesn't, and especially if it sounds just outright wrong, you don't have them in right. Good fit means good sound.

If you want to know how to put them in, as someone else has already said, the internet is your friend. Check out ety's site for how-to's. Having said that, everyone's ear is different, and a method one person uses won't work so hot for another. What worked for me with ety tri-flanges was to insert them in gently and at an upward angle. Sometimes I pull down on the earlobe, sometimes not. Either way, air gets trapped up there, and it feels a bit like your ears are stopped up as in having a cold. To solve this, I pull down on the earlobe while a spare finger pushes the etys back in a tiny bit to keep the seal.

(the problem for me with this method and universal iems is that finding the audio sweet spot again could take a while. YMMV. With customs it takes maybe a second to adjust.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back