Etys and microphonic effect - is it really THAT bad?
Jun 6, 2002 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Superbaldguy

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm contemplating the purchase of a set of ER-4P's, but I'd be wanting to use them for daily walks, as I'm disgusted with the traffic noise in this small community.

Would the microphonic effect drive me nuts? I've read many posts about this, but is it really that much of a problem? Can anything be done to reduce or eliminate it?

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Jun 6, 2002 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 10
supposedly wraping the cords around you ears s supposed to REALLY help with the microphonics.

Jun 6, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 10
Actually the microphonic effect while walking will be less bothersome than the occlusion effect. You'll hear yourself breathing constantly and every time you take a step you'll hear this loud "thud" right in the middle of your music. I would recommend a pair of koss ksc-35s for daily walks as opposed to Etys. I have a pair of 4Ss and love them to death, but I really don't understand how anybody can listen to them while doing anything but sitting totally still. The koss phones (of which I also have a pair) sound good enough that you'll forget about all of the environmental noise that you'll get because they're open headphones.

Jun 6, 2002 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 10
Actually, I own two pairs of KSC-35's, as I keep one tucked away in my safety desposit box after I heard they were being discontinued.
biggrin.gif

The only problem with the KSC-35's is that they are quite leaky, due to their open design, and they are a smidgen soft, due to their 60-ohm impedance; this is very apparent with MiniDisc. Still, they're reasonably loud for most purposes.

The attraction of Etys is their reputed isolation, but it sounds like I'd create another problem if I used them for aerobic activity. I guess I'll have to do my walks when the traffic is minimal....Or, at night!

Does anyone make a good closed can that has high effciency and doesn't have a cumbersome, coiled cord? I have a set of MDR-D22SL's which I love to tears, but they're not totally closed. If only Sony could have made them a closed design, but, I suppose that would make them somewhat bulky to work, properly.

Thanks for your quick response.

Jun 6, 2002 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 10
When I switched from lesser closed phones to the Senn HD 280s I was at first quite annoyed by the giant thuds while walking -- so much for gliding along. I got used to it after a while. I'm guessing the 280s provide about 10db of isolation, and the etys are supposed to be up around 20-23, right?

I guess my question/comment is this. If the effects of isolation are so bad where you can't use them while walking, engaging in aerobic activity/whatever, what's the purpose of having closed phones? Sure, you can use them in bed, but I would certainly use open phones if I didn't need the isolation.

Jun 6, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 10
I have the 4P's. I switchded to the Fix-up cable and have no micrphonic problem. I am able to use them for walking and mowing the lawn.

Jun 6, 2002 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 10
I guess I should re-visit the ER Website to check out the accessories. Are the ER-4P's as efficient as the specs indicate? Would a typical 5 mW headphone amp on an MD unit drive them to adequate volume?

Jun 7, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #8 of 10
After many years with the ER4S, and a short stint with the 4P, I have come to the following hypotheses:

Microphonics are worse with the rubber tips. The foamies seem to damp cord vibes much better.

The 4S cable is a bit worse for thumps if not properly tethered. The 4P cable is worse for rubbing noises (snoring).

Using the clip on the back of the shirt collar (behind the neck) greatly reduces these effects, without looping over the ears.

Most of the noises fall below the threshold of noticibility when the music is on.

The ultimate solution is to zip tie the cable to a cross drilled ear stud in each ear lobe.

Actually I have no data on that last one, but I was hoping to talk somebody into trying it
wink.gif

gerG

Jun 7, 2002 at 5:04 AM Post #9 of 10
I'm on the verge of receiving my ER-4S's, and I DO intend to use them as my portable headphones. My portable use is extremely important to me these days, and I felt nothing less would be acceptable.

Some of the comments here about this have been disquieting, but I feel strongly that I'll figure out a solution.

It's true, however, that my only previous experience with Etymotics has been while stationary. Somehow I think that between the behind-the-ears trick and the shirt clip I'll be fine.

Will let you know if you're still wavering.

DGI

Jun 7, 2002 at 7:55 AM Post #10 of 10
Don't overlook another fix that was suggested here. I haven't been able to try it myself because the necessary cans are not available to me. Those are the Ear Huggers. Apparently, they include an earpiece with an open channel into which the cable can be pressed. You buy them for a very few dollars, detach the cheapo earphones that come with them, press in the Ety cord, and put the earpiece over your ears after insertion.

As for how bad the microphonics are, well, that will depend on what drives you crazy. I think it's pretty clear that different people have different tolerances for different defects and intrusions. I listen seated at home almost exclusively, and an over-the-ear cable path is sufficient for me. In the end, you won't be able to figure it out in advance, but most of us have found a modus vivendi that lets us get a lot of pleasure out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back