Ety's and Grado
Apr 12, 2005 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LOmac

New Head-Fier
i was just wondering how the er 4p compares to the grado sr60 when driven by a portable unamped. what would be the difference in overall sound quality?

Music would mostly be rock and pop

Apr 12, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 8
they are vastly different. the SR-60's are forward, and fun, and a little bright, but with a fairly thumping bass. the ER-4P loses a lot of it's refinement unamped, but you get a smooth sound that is fairly neutral throughout the frequency response and very extended. i think the SR-60's do better in terms of how they sound amped vs. unamped than the ER-4P. the ER-4P is a lot more practical for portable use in my opinion, however, as they are small, light, and isolate. they also don't have the stiff, long cord that the SR-60's have.

Apr 12, 2005 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 8
Unamped or amped they are 2 totally different sounds and 2 totally different animals in terms of how you wear them. I also think they serve totally different purposes.

The ER 4P's are very nice for the isolation from outside sound and you will like the fact that they are easy to store when you are not using them (you can just stick them in your pocket) The sound unamped or amped (with out the P to S adaptor) is a bit thin compaired to the SR-60 but every where else the sound from the ER 4P are superior in terms of clarity and over all quality almost too good as they will pick up a lot of small imperfections in your recordings things like hiss may drive you crazy where as the SR-60 are a little more forgiving here. I would give the rock sound to the bassier SR-60's I feel the ER 4Ps have less bass that the rock sound requires.

The SR-60 are real headphones harder to travel with hot in the summer but with a portable sound good to me. (so good in fact I jumped all the way up the Grado line to the R-1's) the price difference is substantial here too you could get the Grado-225 for the price retail of the ER 4P, so the SR-60 win the price war.

I could go on, but you need to consider many things other than sound, before you pull the trigger and buy. But on sound alone and for Rock my vote is go for the Grado's the ER 4P lacks a little in the rock blink your eyes bass impact O yea in my opinion.

Good luck! by the way the cannel phones are a pain to take in and out so consider that if others are around you asking questions and you have to take them out all the time.

Apr 13, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 8
I have the ety ER4-Ps for two days now - very clear but kind of sterile.

I think the Grados would sound better - especially dollar for dollar - compared with the 225 or higher.

But the Ety's easily win all battles in convenience/portability and in isolation - a factor so important I won't even consider a Grado. Maybe some other headphone but not an open one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back