Etymotics - help needed for new user
Oct 26, 2001 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jmelcer

New Head-Fier
Received my ER-4Ps yesterday to use with my new PJB-100 (credit card is still warm from over-use).

I have tried both the plastic and foam pieces, but despite achieving what I think is a good seal (i.e. virtually no external sound, a "pop" when releasing the seal) there is something lacking in the ouput.

I know that the response is intended to be flat - this is not the issue. There is little bass to speak of, which is - so I understand - meant to be a strong feature of these pieces. The soundstage also appears limited.

I appreciate from other posts that there may be a "breaking in" phase and that it may take weeks for the full qualities of the set to come through. I also suspect that earwax may be an issue here! (I have started using medicinal oil-based drops to deal with that).

Are there any other issues I should be aware of? Am I possibly one of the unlucky few for whom the standard pieces just won't work their magic?

Thanks in advance

Jerome

Oct 26, 2001 at 10:24 AM Post #2 of 13
I personally don't own Etymotics but from what I've hard the bass is more something you hear rather than feel. This experience can take quite a while for your ears to get used to.

The ER-4P from what I've heard is also slightly more bass heavy than the ER-4S. I'd recommend that you at least try them for a week and if you really don't like them I think Etymotic has a 30 day no questions asked satisfaction guarantee.

Oct 26, 2001 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 13
If at all possible, give them time. I know when I first bought them I found them to sound adequate but by no means reference quality. I consider myself one of those "tough" cases...I almost returned them at the end of the month because, quite frankly after a month my view wasn't that much different. It actually took about 2 months for me to really adjust to them. Weird, huh? Now I can't live without them (as most ety owners will tell you).

They etymotic bass is the deepest, most accurate bass I have heard in a headphone. It's got punch, presence, and fullness. But, bucause they go inside your ear canal rather than around your outer ear, you will not feel a damn thing (unless you consider your earcanal a pleasure zone)! You get used to it after awhile. Some find the bass thin sounding -- but I disagree. It's amazingly full and fleshed out. It's the lack of feeling bass which probably causes people to think this.

In conclusion, please give them time. They don't really burn in much. It's your ears which burn in. Of course your ears are your ears. If you don't like em, don't force yourself to keep them if you think there's something more suited to your tastes.

Happy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2001 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for the feedback. I'll give them some time and hope that my ears acclimatise.

Jerome

Oct 26, 2001 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 13
Hard to say what the source of your disappointment is, jmelcer. Earwax is not so likely if you are getting a good seal, and it sounds as if you are to judge by your description. You might check as some others have recommended by rubbing your fingers together quite close to your Ety-sealed ear. If you can hear anything at all of that light, high-pitched sound of your fingertip friction, then your seal could be better.

Bass is decidedly not lacking in the Ety's. My reference for that is organ music. Until I heard organ through Ety's, I thought really convincing recordings could not be made. Now, I marvel at being able to hear a life-like, fully present, unmuddled bass line.

Stick with them a bit longer. In my experience, they are unmatched for bass representation.

Oct 26, 2001 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 13
Hi

I'm also based in the UK (Grimsby - if the world had piles - that's where they'd be!) :wink: and I love my Ety's 4P.

Try initially putting them only partially into your ears. Then load up your music and plug in, that will give your ears the chance to get used to them, then insert slightly more deeply whilst gently rotating them both ways. Wait a couple of seconds and then pull at the top of your ears (or sometimes on the lobes - try both) to equalise the pressure and then press play

I found that if I inserted the Ety's too far, they sounded a little thin and lifeless - after pulling them out and just gently plugging in I found the bass went a lot deeper and 'airy' and the midrange just opened up - the detail and frequency range of these babies is unreal.

Keep at it. Use the rubber tips to get the bass impact and don't be afraid to have a little 'airspace' in your ear - you really don't have to drill these into your head.

I have also found that 'noise reduction' is not the best cue to look for when getting a seal! For me, it's about feel. If I barely know I have them in, that's probably about right. Too little insertion and you feel that they are going to fall out - too much and you feel that someone's screwing your head (from both sides! - Ugh!) - get it just right and you find sheer bliss!

I hope this helps.

Oct 26, 2001 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

There is little bass to speak of, which is - so I understand - meant to be a strong feature of these pieces.

Actually, there is great, accurate bass, which is a strong feature of the Etys
wink.gif
Like Wes, I have never heard organ music (with its DEEEP bass) sound so good as on Etys.

Part of what you're experiencing is, like others have said, that Ety bass is different from the bass most people are used to. You can hear it but not feel it. It takes some time to get used to.

It could also be that you're not getting a good seal. Even Etymotic says, in the manual that comes with the Etys, that if you don't get a good seal the sound will lack bass and fullness.

I use the white tips. I wet them just a tad, then I use the technique described in the manual for insertion (pull up on the top of the ear while inserting them). I always have music playing when I put them in, because it helps me find the seal. The music just doesn't sound right... until I get the seal and then all of a sudden it's like "WOW"

Oct 26, 2001 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 13
You don't want to put these in too fast and deep. I think you are doing this because you mentioned a pop.
Etys seal and can actually cause pressure buildup on your eardrum if pushed in too quickly. I gently insert them with a slight wiggle to let the pressure equalize.
Use Qtips to carefully clean your ears before use and make sure there is no water in your ear also. I dry my ears gently with Qtips after showers too.
Open your mouth and relax when inserting them as this also helps the pressure equalize.
What kind of source are you using? This will affect the bass too. Maybe you are expecting over loud bass.
The Etys are best at a good balanced sound. What you heard about the Ety bass is the fact that the bass is not louder but goes deeper down to the lowest notes humand can hear. 10-20 HZ even.
If you are used to the Boom of certain overemphasized bass frequencies as in Rap music, etc, Etys will dissapoint you as will most other accurate phones.
Dan

Oct 28, 2001 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 13
Am I the only one who really feels a ton of bass from Etys? I listen to a lot of Missy Elliot and bass heavy music. I can honestly say that I feel more bass out of my Etys than my KSC 35s and Sony V6. Its so sharp,quick, and deep that it feels absolutely unbelievable!!!
My insertion is to place them in the ear upside down and then twist to the correct position. If they don't feel right, all I have to do is wait 30 seconds, and I've got a perfect fit. I'm getting an awesome amount of bass out of these things. Is it possible that people have different types of earcanals?
My Etys feel like they are wired straight into my head!!! They are unbelievable! I'm a little worried about my hearing though... even though I can't hear anything outside of my Etys, I have a real tendency to turn up the sound, especially since I got my JMT amp.

Oct 28, 2001 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 13
Never mind my last post. Its been so long since I've listened to my V6s and 35s that I've forgotten what feeling bass is!!! I still like the Etys bass more!

Oct 29, 2001 at 7:05 AM Post #12 of 13
I know that in my case, it took me about 3 months before I could fully appreciate my Etys due to insertion issues. I now only use the foamies...the rubber tips are comfortable for about an hour but I'm always aware that they're in, and after an hour they start to bug me. I can leave the foamies in all day and don't even feel that they're there anymore.

I would give them a good long time to try to figure out how to seat them in your ear best and also to acclimate to their presentation of music. If you still don't like them after a few months, you should be able to sell them for almost as much as you paid for them. I totally agree with the others about the sound, btw...the bass from these phones (I have the 4S) is phenomenal. I like listening to my V6s too which have very good bass, but comparing the two it's obvious that the Etys win hands-down. They don't produce the "slam" sensation that Grados or (to a lesser extent) the V6s do, but they go down lower and in complex bass passages (try organ music, as others have suggested), they can handle producing clean lines that make the V6s sound totally muddy in comparison.

Oct 29, 2001 at 9:54 AM Post #13 of 13
Thanks to all for the advice. Looks like I need to try a few insertion techniques.

I'll repost if I achieve nirvana.

Thanks again

Jerome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back