Etymotics + EX70 tips mod
Apr 17, 2004 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Vertigo-1

Señor Sony
I can't believe I didn't try this years earlier considering how crazy I was with modding earbuds in the past, but this idea just popped into my head all of a sudden, and as it turned out...it works very well. If you're finding yourself not 100% comfortable with the original Etymotic tips, here is a simple and harmless mod you can try, but it requires access to a set of Sony EX70 tips. You'll also need some blue tacky putty.

Just simply take a small amount of the putty, place it around the Etymotic's tube, making sure not to get any of it onto the open filter end. Smooth it out until the entire surface is about flush with the cylinder. Then proceed to apply your favorite EX70 tip size on, until the front of the tip is flush with the front of the filter.

For me, the small tips work the best, allowing me to insert the Etymotics just as deeply into my ears as the original tips. Just this time, there's no digging or scrubbing sensation, as the EX70's tips are made of smooth silicone. As far as I can tell, there's no change in the sound either. This mod is very easily reversible too if it ends up not working for you at all.

Apr 17, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #2 of 6
Sounds good.
Now if only I had etys...
redface.gif

Apr 17, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 6
For me, there is no difference in isolation...just as good, or better. Of course it will all depend on how well the EX70 tips work with your own ears.

Apr 17, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
For me, there is no difference in isolation...just as good, or better. Of course it will all depend on how well the EX70 tips work with your own ears.

Really well, I have a pair of modded EX71s...
I'm supposed to save for college, but you're really tempting me here..
mad.gif

Apr 17, 2004 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 6
Dang, and you live in Hawaii?! Someone trade lives with me for a couple days.

Well, my experience with the Sony-style tips has been brief, thus far, but I like them. They are so comfortable and easy to deal with. But I've only tried the medium and large tips on my Sharp's. I'm pretty certain that it will be futile to try the small tips on these comparatively large 'phones. So, of course, these do not isolate well—the same as EX71's and whatnot, which is not nearly as much as I would like. My only other real complaint about using these tips now, if it counts, is that my ears start itching pretty much the second I insert these things. But I guess welcome to the world of in-ear 'phones, huh? Anyhow, I'm pleased with this introduction, but I sure would like to get some ER4's one of these days. This mod sounds nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back