Etymotics ER-6...all they're cracked up to be?
May 2, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #16 of 34
I had the ER-6's and I was dis-satisfied with their sound quality.

After wrangling with them for several weeks attempting to get a good seal, I discovered that the ER-6's did not have to be placed very far in your ear to get a good seal. Ther ER-4's may be different, and indeed it is easier to insert them since they are so much narrower than the ER-6's. I found it was only necessary to insert them just ever so slightly past the second flange of the eartip to get a proper seal.

The sound of the ER series is indeed quite neutral, and it is this razor sharp neutrality that ultimately left me unsatisfied. I prefer a headphone that has an opinion like the MDR-V6, but isn't quite so outspoken as the Grado's. The ER-6's were marvellous at reproducing the ambient music I listen to as I go to sleep, and produced a very immersive experience, but I VERY rarely listen to this music through headphones. For all other music that I listen to, the ER-6's sounded flat and lifeless.

I really wanted to like the ER-6 sound, but alas, they weren't for me. I think that if you have a very high quality source that brings out all the details in your music and you listen to well recorded CD's, etc. then the Etymotics can be a good choice. People that use them on mp3 players baffle me...

May 3, 2002 at 4:28 AM Post #18 of 34
After getting the correct angle and insertion depth figured out I can 9 times out of 10 get a good seal without wetting the flanges. I'm sure everyone is different, but for me the angle is more important than wetting the flanges to get the perfect seal.

May 3, 2002 at 4:03 PM Post #20 of 34
We are switching the included accesories as soon as we have all the parts in stock.

We will supply a pair of foam eartips in place of the extra silicone ones. We will also be adding a shirt clip.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

May 3, 2002 at 4:41 PM Post #21 of 34
ER-6 are great. You have to get a good fit before the bass becomes pronounced. The bass is amazing and it doesn't have that annoying and distorting emphasis many other cheaper headphones have. The biggest plus is the isolation and being able to listen to the music at lower volumes. However, don't expect to use these as jogging/exercising headphones.

Everyone has a different way of getting the ER-6 to fit well. Some people can't shove them too deep into their ears. For me, I had to experiment for three weeks before I got the hang of it.

Originally, I had to insert them straight in with a shallow fit. After awhile, my ears must have adapted to having objects being poked into them. I could start angling them upwards with a deep fit without discomfort.

Ear wax is the biggest problem I have. I produce tons of ear wax every day and I have to keep my ears clean from clogging the replaceable filters. I also have to wash the flanges every other day to get rid of the ear wax. If you don't produce much ear wax, consider yourself lucky.

May 3, 2002 at 6:11 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by d_wilson
We are switching the included accesories as soon as we have all the parts in stock.

We will supply a pair of foam eartips in place of the extra silicone ones. We will also be adding a shirt clip.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Hi Don! After hours of reading the opinions of others, I ordered my E-6's and just got them today from headroom.com. They're FABULOUS!!! It feels like the music is playing inside my head...I hear every little nuiance of the music without it being uncomfortably loud. They are going to be wonderful to go to bed with. I was a little disappointed, however, to find that Etymotic has changed the cord configuration so that no longer is the right-ear wire longer than the left. Can't please everyone, huh? LOL! Mine didn't come with a shirt clip...how can I get one? I already ordered a set of foam eartips to try out (even though I find the silicone tips quite comfortable...just maybe a bit too isolating for some situations.)

Anyway, for the person worried about wetting the tips, I don't find it necessary at all...I just pull my ear up/out with my mouth open and they glide right in. And for the person puzzled about using them with an MP3 player...why not? They're perfect for that! Granted the sound is better from a better source but my MP3s sound sooooo much better with these little beans in my ears and make such an easily portable package...it all fits right in my pocket! Even on a cheap mattress, satin sheets feel better, you know? :wink:

May 3, 2002 at 6:42 PM Post #23 of 34
Glad you like the product.

We don't have the shirt clips yet.

We held back a few of the un-even cords. Most people we polled wanted the even length ones. IF you want the other cable try e-mailing Mary Paulson to see if you can get a swap.

m_paulson@etymotic.com

Don Wilson

May 3, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #24 of 34
How effective is the seal supposed to be? I ordered my ER-6's and got them today. I don't know if I'm putting them into my ears right though. When the music is off, I can still hear things when they're in my ear. Does this mean I don't have a good seal?

May 3, 2002 at 8:17 PM Post #25 of 34
The ER-6 eartip provides about 20dB of attenuation. You should still be able to hear things, but they should be much quieter.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

May 4, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by d_wilson

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Hi Don, I just have two quick questions.

1. So are those the only two changes, foam tips included and a shirt clip, that'll be in the new ER-6 "bundle" when you purchase them?

2. For people who already bought the ER-6, could we still be sent a pair of foam eartips and a shirt clip?

Thanks a lot!

May 4, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #28 of 34
im deciding on in the future getting either the er6 or v6. considering the money as well. I have heard a lot about the er6 being plain and lifeless sounding.... could someone compare the er6 to the v6??? thanks,
Chris

May 4, 2002 at 5:09 AM Post #30 of 34
Well, I wouldn't say that the ER-6 are plain and lifeless sounding. They are neutral, they don't add or subtract hardly at all from the music source. So, for some kinds of music, like rock/rap, etc. that take advantage of boomy and harsh sources, these types of music can sound flat and lifeless. For well recorded music with a large frequency and dynamic range like classical/jazz, the subtle nuances you can hear can add significant pleasure to your musical experience.

The V6's are an analytical headphone that have a peaky upper mid/treble and an deep, somewhat loose bass. With the V6, you will get significant bass impact and a more involving (albeit more fatiguing sound).

Sort of apples and oranges. If you will listen mostly to modern music, pop, rock, dance and so forth, I'd say the V6's will probablly make you happiest. If you prefer a more critical listening experience, go with the ER-6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back