Etymotics ER-4S recieved!
Oct 1, 2003 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Guest5

100+ Head-Fier
Hello...
Just recieved the Etys... I am a little confused... They do not sound as I thought they would be....

First of all I pluged them far in my ear canals, I felt how they did dive in my canals smoothly... and I was freaked a bit letting them in so far(I would be amazed if they are supposed to go further), I could see in the mirror only the red and blue thingies out of my ears...

The worst is that My D-E905 is very weak, I put the Volume to MAX and the sound was just a OK(a bit less, my porta pros at this volume would blow my head off) and it was THIN,

I know some of you tries Etys with their MDs.... I wander what sound they get...

AND I can hear outside noise when the music is playing... it's not lous but it's Audible... for example clapping my hands is audible pretty well... I also put the volume UP on my TV and still hear outside noise... maby I don't get a good seal indeed BUT I'm just afraid to push them deeper, can it hurt my eardrums???

Please tell me... They didn't sound much better than Porta Pros... the detail though it's great but I expected much More... also the microphonics are there and it's pretty uncomfortable, the sound is thin... I tried and push back them a bit and the sound is not geting thiner or something... Please tell me is there a warrning about pushing them deeper in my ears... I am scared a bit...

Also I didn't try the foamies yet.... How do I replace the tips???
Please, I need your helping sugestions....

Oct 1, 2003 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 20
If I were you, I would have bought the ER4P instead of the S because the 4P is designed for portable use. If you bought them from Headroom, returning for the P would be a good idea, especially since you can buy an adapter cord to make the P an S.

Also, I seriously doubt that you are getting a good seal, as you shouldn't be able to hear much of anything with music playing. I can't even hear the fire alarm.
eek.gif

Finally, it sounds like the rubbers that come with them are too small for your ears. I really have to work to get them in as far as you have them. Usually when I wear them, the white part is just barely visible, and many people don't even put them in as far as I do. I doubt you will hurt your ears, but if they go in that easily, that far, with (what sounds like) a poor seal, then you should probably look for some larger rubbers. IIRC, there are some bigger ones available--directly from Etymotic or perhaps from headroom. I would give them a call.

Oct 1, 2003 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 20
You need to burn them in, too. It sounds like you aren't getting enough power out of your source to properly burn them in, though. I'd suggest an amp, most definitely, to get the most out of the 4S's.

As for the isolation, when music isn't playing you should be able to hear everything, just at a much lower level. It's when the music is playing, at even moderate levels, that everything else starts to disappear (that is, for me anyway.)

Oct 1, 2003 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 20
I will get an amp for ER4S from JMT....

The thing is that even on my home stereo ER4S do not get loud, I mean Loud! Yes the ER4S get really smooth and easy in my ear canals, there is no need wetting them at all...

Please tell me how do I replace the tips, I want to try the foamies but am afraid to replace the tips... how do you push them..... or pull them???

Oct 1, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 20
You just grip the tip firmly with one hand, the black base with the other, and pull. Twisting helps sometimes. Just be sure to pull straight out so you don't bend the stalks at all.

Oct 1, 2003 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 20
They just pull right off. I like the foam tips a lot better, no need to wory about a seal at all, the foam just expands to fit your ears perfectly. Put the foam tips on w/the shiny side facing away from your ears (they are less bright this way).

Oct 1, 2003 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 20
Oh, my!!! I feel that the white tip's fat end is not visible at all, actually it is for about 3-4 mm in my canal..
I tried and moved them a bit in my ears and the sound volume is changing... I captured a moment When IT WAS INCREDIBLE SOUND... REAL!!! now I'm trying to do that again but my earcanals hurt... WOW that was something I tell ya....

Oct 1, 2003 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 20
It seem that your ear canal are huge and you don't get any decent sceal. Your not supose to easly insert them that far. Try to wet them a bit it might make them stick to your ear canal but I guess you'll have to order the larger foamy.

EDIT: be carefull when you wet the white fang to not wet and clug the green filter.

Oct 1, 2003 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 20
I tried the foam tips and they cancelled the noise better but still could hear things... I removed them for rubber tips and inserted the headphones in my ears... the sound is indeed very detailed as far as I've never heard anything like it(edited)
eek.gif
but I think because of my big ear canal I cannot get a good seal... and if the sound gets even better with a right seal I'm amazed... now it's not much better than my porta pro, it's more natural and the bass is something very pleasant, I've never heard quite anything this smooth and at the same time precise in the lows... it's something special.

I can insert the left tip easier that the right one...:

Oct 1, 2003 at 10:13 PM Post #10 of 20
You know, I think my ear canals are not large, I guess my ear canals are not used to Etys yet... right now they hurt me so much that I have a headake(how does it spell right? ) like a double pain.

I really didn't expect to be so complicated to isert them, I fell that I will not get so easy and all the time from the first time a good seal.

The last time I listened to them I was able to hear barely my TV at max volume... I throw on the floor strong a CD case and of course I broke it but I didn't hear the noise(just a stupidity to do something like this but It caught my eye)
biggrin.gif

The important thing is that I am starting to apreciate the sound... (at 6 on the Volume out of 10)now I feel that Etymotics really makes the music live.... I will report latter after the pain is gone and will try again listening to them...

It's better to push them deep and then pull back a tiny bit then they stay still and tight in ear canal.

Oct 1, 2003 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 20
I listen to them now... The "SOUND" now is Incredible.... But my ears hurt me so much that I can't stand it, I'm starting to shake of pain like on my first date...
wink.gif

it is something much..much more(majore) than my upgrade to D-E905....

When I insert them, well it's not so easy to insert them after all, I have to push them with quite an amount of force, i can hear the air that goes out of my ears..something like... pffffff.... and taking them out is like entering another world... as well as listening to them is another world...

I am starting to see what is the magic of Etymotic's earphones...

I have to say that after I've witnessed the sound I feel having a different mood(a miracle sensation), about something complitely new and amazing to say is like saying nothing.... incredible sound quality, and even more so if you consider the size...

Thank you, "Etymotic Research"...

Oct 2, 2003 at 4:32 AM Post #13 of 20
it is like a woman ...

at first it hurts ... but then as you use it more , it gets better and better....

I mean using new shoes..
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2003 at 7:54 AM Post #14 of 20
Thanks guys for your help....I've learned to master the seal....got experience with Etymotic's wonder earphones...
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I can't even plug them in my ears.... well I can but it hurts 10 times more than yesterday when I first put them in... I'll have to take a break...

From what I've listened I came to this Conclusion... The ETy's are a penomenal phone... at %75-95 don't buy the Etys if you are going to listen to them in a tandem with average systems... I mean for ER4S has to be a good amp(ER4S is not for portables certainly) and source...

I've come to the point where I understand that my D-E905(my stationary Rig is not even a Hi-Fi system) is nothing so amazing at all, The Etys are.... The sound is so neutral that the music doesn't sound like before... it sounds like you're really beside the singer/performer... it's quite scary....

There is a strong sensation that you are listening to that sound that was intended in the recording studio... the feeling of imense reality... Almost all my CDs have that hiss of the bad recording... even my classical CDs have it... damn it, and all that's wrong with the recording you can hear it Clearly....

I noticed that my D-E905 lacks in lows and mids(And the Highs are not that detailed anymore, I mean I feel that there is a much..much better source out there), as I said the Highs of the D-E905 are worse, the Etys detect the faults of the source and show them to you, the Etys beg for a much better source/amp to bring Spectacular joy to the listener....

And I don't think they're ugly... actually they are funny looking, they're pretty fat and short, I thought they would be thiner and longer...

Oh and as Soon as you open the package there pops up a Caution written with Majuscules on a red paper about The Importance of the Seal.

Also there is another carrying little bag... with 2 pockets and it's closed with.... dont' know the spelling....

I think the ER4S are BY FAR the Best thing I've heard..... It seems to me that telling this doesn't ensure my excitement... but Believe me I'm in AWE.... Certainly will buy an amp or that Hi-End DAC+amp... I will not live too long with out this sound.... it reminds me of a morning in the Spring...

Oct 2, 2003 at 8:45 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Now I can't even plug them in my ears.... well I can but it hurts 10 times more than yesterday when I first put them in... I'll have to take a break...

STOP using them. You are doing something wrong if you are in any real pain. The first few times there might be a strange sensation and some discomfort, especially after using them for a long time, but pain is bad.

It sounds like you are inserting them either too far or incorrectly.

Your ear canals seem to be very large, so get the larger foam tips, which can be found on Etymotic's website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back