Etymotics E4s and Depeche Mode
Nov 3, 2001 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Dreambrother

New Head-Fier
For the past couple of weeks, I've been researching on a lot of head/earphones that will suite me best. I've also been looking at PCDP to use as well. I'm not sure if i'm an audiophile, but I think my ears are more sensitive than others. I'm in a band, and when we get into the mixing stage, I usually hear clicks,pops, and various noises that my bandmates don't hear.

I've been reading up on the Ety's E4s, and I'm really considering buying them. 99% of what I hear is that these buds will knock you off of your feet. Whats stopping me mainly is the price. My gear consists of the Iriver 2 MP3/CD player, and I listen to Depeche Mode (either CD or MP3) 99.9% of the time. Would the Ety's fit this type of music? DM music is not as bassy like rap/hip-hop music (at least I don't think so). I would also assume that I would need an amp for the Iriver 2.

I'm also in the market for a new PCDP. I hear the Panasonics are great, but only the Japanese versions. Sorry for the long post, but thank you for any help.

confused.gif

Nov 3, 2001 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 13
i haven't heard the ety's, but i'd just like to say that i'm a big DM fan. i went to 3 of their concerts this summer. though i'm sure they ety's will be fine for them.

Nov 3, 2001 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 13
Any Panasonic will be ok in terms of line-out quality. Japanese ones will give you optical out which will only matter if you have an MD player or outboard DAC. The remotes don't really matter considering they probably degrade the sound with the additional volume pot, and they lack pause mode anyways which is pretty stupid.

The 4P will still offer the most future extensibility with adapters. However according to recent "news" an upcoming Ety version will offer "close" performance at half-price. If lucky maybe we can get it before x-mas. I personally consider Ety performance quite a high ideal, so getting one that does close at half price is great.

IMO Ety sound is the best I've heard for a wide selection of music. You can get things that may sound good towards only one genre of music, but an Ety can do it all. You shouldn't be concerned about how they SOUND, but instead how they will fit you and how you will use them. The new Ety versions might have less microphonic noise issues as well so being as sound quality is their strength, it is great that they are working on the "weakness"...which has very little to do with sound, but just price and convenience.

Nov 4, 2001 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Dreambrother
...I'm in a band...I listen to Depeche Mode (either CD or MP3) 99.9% of the time...

99.9% of the time? You're insane.

Unless you're in a Depeche Mode cover band...

Nov 4, 2001 at 4:51 AM Post #7 of 13
If being a DM fan since 1982 and having had both 'P and 'S models is anything to go by, YES by all MEANS get some Ety's!! The sound on any and all of DM's work is amazing through them.

The vocals sound a little recessed with the 'P model. But an underdriven 'S model sounds nasty. The upcoming release from Etymotic Research might be the solution to your headphone needs. Otherwise, get the ER-4P.

Nov 4, 2001 at 6:07 AM Post #8 of 13
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but

Quote:

upcoming Ety version will offer "close" performance at half-price. If lucky maybe we can get it before x-mas. I personally consider Ety performance quite a high ideal, so getting one that does close at half price is great.

Half price? This means $160, probably will be able to get them for somewhat less. AHHHHHHHH. Now I want more headphones again (After a brief period of Grado lust caused by someone saying that they were less forward sounding then KSC-50s).

Nov 4, 2001 at 6:51 AM Post #9 of 13
i'm thinking of joining a dm cover band called 'the fletches.' they just sit on their arses all day long and get to say they're in a band.

Nov 4, 2001 at 7:02 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

After a brief period of Grado lust caused by someone saying that they were less forward sounding then KSC-50s

Not to keep this further off-topic, but who on earth thinks that the KSC-50 are "more forward" than Grados?!?!? What model? Grados are among the most forward-sounding cans on the planet
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2001 at 7:04 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by skippy
i'm thinking of joining a dm cover band called 'the fletches.' they just sit on their arses all day long and get to say they're in a band.

Ouch!
smily_headphones1.gif
Fletch gets no respect.

Nov 4, 2001 at 7:12 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Not to keep this further off-topic, but who on earth thinks that the KSC-50 are "more forward" than Grados?!?!? What model? Grados are among the most forward-sounding cans on the planet

I misread something, I think even you may have said it
biggrin.gif
. I had been thinking of how I would like the KSC-50s even more if they were a bit more laid back and with warmer mids, and somehow I read something someone said as the Grados being more forward then the 50s in a random thread, and I read it as if I were dyslexic or something. Thats all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back