Etymotics don't work, what next??
Aug 12, 2003 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

jdouglas

Head-Fier
Hello all,
I've been on a crusade this summer for a good pair of portable headphones to go with my iPod (and also for general usage with my stereo). I know the first and most common response is Etymotics, so I went that route (the ER4P). Unfortunately, when it arrived, I was unable to get anywhere near a decent seal (I had no bass, treble was etchy and harsh, etc., totally unlistenable). After the advice of people on AA and here, I continued to let them burn in, and experiment with them over the course of several weeks. I also called Etymotics and spoke with two different engineers, they were very nice and set me custom ear plugs. The bigger yellow ones seemed to help a little, but still couldn't get any bass. Then, on the engineer's suggestion, I tried the ER6's, as he say they have a somewhat different fit.
I sent the ER4's back in, got the ER6's, and the first time was the same. But then after some experimentation, it was like an epiphany, and I suddenly had all this bass, and the treble had been much tamed. However, I switched back to my iPod headphones (the little white ones) and realized that the only thing I had accomplished was to get the ER6's to sound almost as good as the Apple ones. It was somewhat disappointing, but I kept letthing them burn in and its been two weeks now, and I've been unable to get any improvement. It seems like the bass is OK with the ER6's, but everything just has a very etchy, mid-fi kind of distorted sound to it. Sometimes the treble was so bad, I'd feel like my ears were bleeding. I'd even started to get headaches from all the edgy treble.
So after reading every post I could on the ER6's, and trying to angle, push, pull them in any and every direction in my ears, I just don't think they'll ever fit. And this seemed to be the engineer's opinion too.

So now... I'm wondering, where do I go next? I used to have Grados SR60's, but found them way too bulky. I really don't want to go anything sub-ER6 quality, although I eyed the Shure e2c's. I don't think they would work for my ear shape and size, and I couldn't find any dealers in Cincinnati that'd let me demo, so that idea's on hold right now.
I've seen the Stax SR-001 and am interested in that, but haven't heard much in the way of reviews on this site. I'd be willing to put up with the energizer and 6-hour battery limit if it means I could get sound as good if not better than my SR60's on the go (and if they don't hurt my ears any more than the SR60's did after an hour or so).
Am I missing any other obvious choices?? Does anyone have any new comments to weigh in on these choices (that hasn't been stated before on this site)? You can also try and tutor me in the way of proper ER6 insertion and sealing
biggrin.gif
but I'm not guaranteeing you'll have any success! I still have them sitting around though, and am willing to try anything that might get them to work (as long as it doesn't involve any surgical implements).

Thanks,
Jason

PS: My budget for phones is sub-300 btw, maybe 400-500 if we were talking about super super super amazing phones.

Aug 12, 2003 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 27
Hi JDouglas, welcome to Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't really answer your question directly, but can say that the Stax SR001s aren't really very well regarded around here...

...Hopefully someone can jump in here...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2003 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 27
mx500 maybe?

Aug 12, 2003 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 27
Seems if everything the Grados size or larger is too bulky there's not many choices for the quality you want.

Aug 13, 2003 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 27
You can try Shure E5 at around $300~ $400. This is much better phone compared to ER-4P. If you really want to have the best quality canal phone with ultimate comfort and sound quality, you can consider Prophonic 2X-S at $750. I guarantee 100% that you won't ever be disappointed. It's totally in a different league.

Aug 13, 2003 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 27
I'm going to go against the money-spending trend here, and recommend that you find a pair of Koss KSC-35. The are IMO a perfect match for the iPod: comfortable, sound great, very portable. The only drawback is that they don't seal out external noise, but if you don't need a "seal" then they're simply awesome with the iPod.

Aug 13, 2003 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by MadDog
You can try Shure E5 at around $300~ $400. This is much better phone compared to ER-4P. If you really want to have the best quality canal phone with ultimate comfort and sound quality, you can consider Prophonic 2X-S at $750. I guarantee 100% that you won't ever be disappointed. It's totally in a different league.

This is coming from an actual user of ER-4P, E5 and Pro 2X-S. Strictly based on my real-life experience with them.

Aug 13, 2003 at 12:27 AM Post #8 of 27
Judging from your experience, I guess canal phones aren't really for you. Definitely consider KSC35s or Audio Technica EM7s and I strongly recommend you to try Sony E888s(earbuds). What is it that you're looking for in a pair of portable 'phones?

Maddog : I'm Intrigued by Prophonics and Ultimateears but I'm rather skeptical if their high prices are justified considering they were designed for commercial monitoring usage. I mean Prophonic used to sell repackaged Etys at more than twice the original price to the musicians, etc. Also I consider the Etys to be a step above other highly regarded headphones like DT880s and SR325s but I'm sure other people here would say otherwise so I don't know it'd be safe to say that jdouglas will be 100% satisfied with them.

Having said that, i'd love to hear E5s one day. I'm still looking for a bass-heavy 'phones to compliment the Etys.

Aug 13, 2003 at 2:29 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by MadDog

Oh MadDog, I've been lusting for that pair. How's the microphonics (or is there none)? Isolation compared to the ety's? Comfort?

2x-s...ahhhhh...you've got yourself there the creme of canal phones! Damn!!!

Aug 13, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I'm going to go against the money-spending trend here, and recommend that you find a pair of Koss KSC-35. The are IMO a perfect match for the iPod: comfortable, sound great, very portable. The only drawback is that they don't seal out external noise, but if you don't need a "seal" then they're simply awesome with the iPod.

Amen bruddah. My thoughts exactly.

Aug 13, 2003 at 5:12 AM Post #11 of 27
Hello again, wow! thanks for all the replies. Let me try and respond to all of them now
wink.gif

Duncan: I'm kind of curious, why aren't they well regarded around here? Is it the sound quality? All the reviews of them I read on this site were pretty good, putting them in the same class or as the ER4's or ER6's, the only real drawback being brought up seeming to be the 4-hour battery limit and the comfort. I guess of course they can't be demoed in the US either...

usc goose: I actually had the MX500's, got them about a 6 months after my SR60's, because I was looking for something portable to go with my minidisc player. I thought they sounded OK, better than average buds maybe. Maybe I was spoiled by the SR60's, but it was really hard going from the Grados to the MX500's, and while the Grados are bulky, I'd rather carry them around then the MX500's, which I sold about 3 months later.

blessingx: I know what you mean, i hate to sound like the "i want it all, perfect sound in a super comfortable, cool looking, ultra-tiny headphone" kind of guy. I just thought, given what they do with the Etymotics, maybe there's some similar headphones out there, with great sound but in a not too large-size? If not, I really don't have a problem with going back to grados or something similar, I'd prefer that to crappy sound.

MadDog: I was considering the Shure's... e5c's sound interesting, but I'm just not sure why they would fit any better in my ear canals? I actually don't know why the ety's were unable to fit properly in my ears, or provide such poor performance even when a seal was in place (I guess I'd have to see an audiologist to find out). But I'm skeptical they'd work. I understand that Shure offers a 30-day return, I might take advantage of it if there's nothing cheaper that will get the job done.
I also considered custom earmolds, but the ety engineer I spoke to recommended that I don't. He said that earmolds don't work for everybody, and sometimes people pay to have them made only to get a non-working mold back from the lab. ProPhonics of course, falls in this same league, and I'm worried that an audiologist might not get a good impression, and I'd have to stiff the bill or something.

MacDEF: I assumed the KSC-35's were in the same league as the MX500's?

So, I'm guessing I've pretty much exhausted the possibilities in my budget category? For cheaper, I can get a pair of small, inconspicuous headphones (ala KSC-35 or MX500) but less sound quality than something like SR60's, or I can continue trying in-the-ear monitors hoping they'll fit my ears? And I guess if anybody knows anything about the Stax's drawbacks, aside from the battery-limit, and the fact that it might get trampled on by the ER4S
biggrin.gif
please let me know. I'm a college student, so actually an extreme seal like the ety's give might not be ideal for me, since I spend most of my time walking around Cambridge, a city with a lot of traffic. custom ear molds might also make me look like i'm wearing hearing aids (and i'm only 20!!). So, the Stax seemed to offer the right mix of being much smaller than the SR60's, similar sound quality, and don't leak or let in too much sound, but don't entirely block out external noise either. Thanks for the suggestions guys, weigh in with any more comments you might have! (hopefully I'll finally get my dream headphones by the end of this summer...)

Thanks,
Jason

PS: I'd also be open to suggestions of separates (headphones for on the go, and headphones for just home). I hooked the iPod up to my home system, so I know it definitely has its limitations, but I also feel like the MX500's wouldn't deliver anywhere near its full potential (don't know about KSC-35's, if I can find 'em locally with a return policy I'll give them a whirl). Whatever portable phones I get don't have to provide any better quality than the iPod is capable of delivering (anything more is just a bonus if I do use them with my home system).

Aug 13, 2003 at 5:35 AM Post #12 of 27
The KSC-35s are by most people's recconing much better than the MX500s. Firstly they are supra-aural, the MX-500s are earbuds.

Aug 13, 2003 at 6:14 AM Post #13 of 27
mx500s are pieces of **** compared to the ksc-35s... well, they're pieces of **** period, but still. The mx500s can't hold a candle to ksc-35s, no matter what kind of foamies you find for them.

Aug 13, 2003 at 6:30 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by jdouglas
MacDEF: I assumed the KSC-35's were in the same league as the MX500's?

In my opinion, the MX 500 are good earbuds -- one of the top two with the E888 -- but the KSC-35 are clearly in another class.

Quote:

For cheaper, I can get a pair of small, inconspicuous headphones (ala KSC-35 or MX500) but less sound quality than something like SR60's

For what it's worth, I like the KSC-35 as much as the SR60 in many respects, especially when used portably. And especially with the iPod -- the iPod and KSC-35 complement each other especially well.

Aug 13, 2003 at 6:55 AM Post #15 of 27
I had to run up the street to the store, and while there saw the koss headphones, so couldn't resist. of course, they didn't have the 35's, but i got the 50's just to get a taste. my initial impressions are probably normal: they're definitely better than the apple bud's or the MX500's. Most obviously in the bass, which the earbuds just really don't have (at least not the visceral kind). I noticed they seem to have some problems in the treble area? some pieces sound ok, others like the treble's a little mushy compared to what i'd expect. well, for $14.95 i certainly expected there to be some limitations! Yeah, i can see why one might make a comparison to the SR60's. they're a little bass-heavy, like the 60's, but i thought the 60's handled the midrange and treble quite a bit better. I think the 60's just sounded more hi-fi in general, whereas with the 50's I'm more like, "wow, these sound like really good mid-fi phones". wish i still had my 60's so i could compare, but i sold them, thinking "oh, i'll have the ER4's, who needs the SR60's??"
rolleyes.gif
Ironically now, the KSC-50's sound far superior to the ER-4P (I know that sounds so messed up...)
Just wondering, do most other people find that the 50's kinda flap around? If i wag my head I look like spot the dog
biggrin.gif
i think my ears aren't real flat to begin with, so it makes the phones not lie flat with my head (they're kinda more sticking out at an angle, it looks really funny in the mirror). i noticed pushing them more to my head gives me more volume and presence, but they won't stay like that of course. Might be nice too, tho, because I have to practically max out the volume control on my iPod to get the same levels i'd get with the volume at half with the apple buds.
Well, if I can't find anything substantially better in my budget that's still portable (and if i can't get my ety's to work) these will definitely stay on my ipod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back