Etymotic Upgrade Questions (ER-6i to ER-4S)
Feb 5, 2007 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RollsDownWindowsManually

100+ Head-Fier
Hi:

As an ER-6i owner, I've been very very happy, but I recently acquired a decent headphone amplifier (m seed labs faith amp) and upgraded my source. Because of this, I've been contemplating purchasing an ER-4S to get the most out of my upgraded singal chain and to obtain a more satisfying IEM experience.

My questions:

Are ER-6i tips compatible with ER4 series? I know the ER4's come with tri flanges, but my ear canals constrict the tips on the tri flanges, resulting in rolled of treble. Bi-Flanges work much better for me with the ER-6i.

Is amazon currently shipping the all black ER4's? I would prefer to get the all black ones.

Is this a total waste of money? I keep looking at the "accuracy score" on Etymotic's site....and 92% vs. 81% for the ER-6i's makes the ER-4S sound very appealing. Then again, I really do like the ER-6i's, even compared to the Shure E4C's and E500's I've heard...hard to imaging the 4S is really that much better, but I guess there's no way to know without hearing them.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 5, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by RollsDownWindowsManually /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are ER-6i tips compatible with ER4 series?

i recently fell in love with etymotic. i ordered the er6i and a week later...before i got the er6i in the mail, i ordered the er4p.

the er6i tips do work with the er4p. but the tips with the black er4 are grey, not white.

Feb 5, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i recently fell in love with etymotic. i ordered the er6i and a week later...before i got the er6i in the mail, i ordered the er4p.

the er6i tips do work with the er4p. but the tips with the black er4 are grey, not white.

Thanks for the answer!....yeah, I have the black 6i's right now and ordered a bag of more bi-flanges a few months back, so I've got 5 extra pairs of gray bi-flanges sitting in my drawer.

So you ordered the 4p before you got the 6i? Did you listen to them both or did you just send the 6i back before you opened it?

Feb 5, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i ordered the er6i and a week later...before i got the er6i in the mail, i ordered the er4p.

You know you're in trouble when...

Feb 6, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Is this a total waste of money? I keep looking at the "accuracy score" on Etymotic's site....and 92% vs. 81% for the ER-6i's makes the ER-4S sound very appealing. Then again, I really do like the ER-6i's, even compared to the Shure E4C's and E500's I've heard...hard to imaging the 4S is really that much better

It's not a waste of money. It really is better. The ER-6i is remarkably good given how efficient and inexpensive it is, but the ER-4S really does surpass it, especially when well amped.

Feb 6, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 11
Much much MUCH better. It's worth the upgrade. I really enjoyed my ER-6i phones, but when I found myself with some extra money and long hours working onthe computer at work, I decided to give upgrading a shot. I love my ER-4P phones with my 5.5G iPod. If you have an amp that you use regularly, the 4S is supposed to be even better (although I can't speak to that myself). The 4 series have better detail and the bass is significantly better than the 6i, particularly with regard to bass extension. With a good set of foamies (I use Comply foamies, actually), they have an open, airy sound that's just awesome.

Feb 6, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 11
Does anyone know how long/bulky the 4P to 4S adapter available for sale on etymotic.com for 65 bucks is?

It seems like only the 4P is available with the new all-black design, which I prefer, so maybe I'd be better off just getting the 4P and the adapter.

Feb 6, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #9 of 11
Yeah, I have the P-S adapter cable. It's pretty small, fits just perfectly into the velcro pouch in the Ety case. Looks like it's about a foot long, with a 90 degree plug on one end and an inch-long by about half inch diameter jack on the end.

Feb 6, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

So you ordered the 4p before you got the 6i? Did you listen to them both or did you just send the 6i back before you opened it?

the er6i will be my more knock around pair...for when i never go portable
and the er4p will be when i'm sick of having a headphone, need isolation, or to use on trips...which i don't go on very often

i bought both of em used, so its not so bad...
frown.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Does anyone know how long/bulky the 4P to 4S adapter available for sale on etymotic.com for 65 bucks is?

It seems like only the 4P is available with the new all-black design, which I prefer, so maybe I'd be better off just getting the 4P and the adapter.

It is about 1 foot long & is not bulky at all. It uses the same cord type that comes on the ER4P as well as the same 90 degree angle plug. The 1/8th inch socket is only very slightly oversize compared to the norm but still much smaller than a 1/4 inch jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back