Etymotic: switch from ER6i to another model?
May 7, 2009 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lapis

New Head-Fier
My beloved and out-of-warranty ER6i pair has a broken cable on one side, and Etymotic's replacement program (there's no repair program, the support rep said) costs $76. So it's just as cheap to get a new pair.

But should I get another 6i pair, or go with a different model?

REASONS TO GET ANOTHER PAIR OF 6is:
- they seem to protrude out of the ear the least (important for me, to sleep and travel in them, wear under hats, etc.)
- 6i costs least
- I still have a lot of 6i replacement filters and eartips

REASONS TO SWITCH TO 4Ps or HF5s:
- all non-6i models seem much more durable than the 6is
- reportedly somewhat higher noise isolation (I don't understand why this would be; they use same-looking tips?)
- reportedly better fidelity (although my 6is sound beautiful to me)

Thanks for advice or help re. any of these individual considerations, or my question overall.

May 7, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for that code mention -- unfortunately there's no way I can afford the new set before May 31st when the code expires. I'm doing research now to prep for buying later in summer.

May 7, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by lapis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that code mention -- unfortunately there's no way I can afford the new set before May 31st when the code expires. I'm doing research now to prep for buying later in summer.

They offered the same $99 deal a couple of months ago. They may offer it again a couple of months from now.

May 7, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 10
Cool, thanks.

Does anybody have comments on how far the 4P or HF5 phones protrude out of the ear? (Both of them look like they stick out much worse than the 6is.)

May 7, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 10
The HF5s seem like an excellent deal at that price! I'm mostly just concerned it wouldn't feel good going to sleep with them inserted (that's a big part of why IEMs are important for me, going to sleep with music and being able to stay asleep through noises). The 6is are already slightly non-comfy when I'm lying on my side...

May 7, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 10
I don't think you'll be able to use HF5 while sleeping. I don't think I could use the ER-4 that way, and it's a similar shape (though not the same shape).

If you feel strongly about getting something a little more heavily built, I would suggest the d-jays, which cost around $100, disappear into your ear like the ER-6i, are equally comfortable and isolating in my experience, and which seem to be pretty durable (mine have been dropped, trod upon, etc.). I do not enjoy their sound as much as that of the ER-6i, but it's still pretty good.

May 8, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by lapis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HF5s seem like an excellent deal at that price! I'm mostly just concerned it wouldn't feel good going to sleep with them inserted (that's a big part of why IEMs are important for me, going to sleep with music and being able to stay asleep through noises). The 6is are already slightly non-comfy when I'm lying on my side...

I cannot sleep with HF5s when I lay on my side. I have done some fancy pillow positioning and have slept for a few hours, but this is definitely not an IEM you can easily sleep with.

Other than that, great headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back