Etymotic should make custom IEM's
Jan 26, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what makes you think the er4 would make a good stage monitor? it is an audiophile canalphone, not a monitoring iem; two different things.

Hmmm... Please forgive my ignorance, but I was just assuming that since the ER-4's have a relatively flat frequency response, and since they are considered more "accurate" than other IEM's in its price range, they must be good for use onstage. Wouldn't onstage performers want the most accurate sound reproduction? I mean the sole purpose of using IEM's onstage is to be able to hear yourself (without damaging your ears - as much.. significantly).

If I used an IEM onstage while playing the sax, and if that IEM had a bump in an area of its the frequency response, I would hear that area of frequency exaggerated, so I would adjust my playing to make it sound right. The audience would hear my playing with a dip (as opposed to a bump) in that area of frequency. This would not be accurate. My playing would sound like crap. I would want to hear myself as accurately as possible - otherwise, I'd be adjusting to something that doesn't even exist.

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #17 of 34
Epoxy putty + careful hand drilling + some ingenious mounting = custom earmolds on the cheap.

Note that you must use putty. Putting epoxy adhesive in your ears would be unrecognizably dumb.

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #18 of 34
Thanks go out go Erik_C

I searched the Westone site and found Style No. 34 = ear molds for ER-4 ! Sweet!

Although, I think I still want to take a spin at DIY. Sounds like a fun project, at least there's an option in case of total failure.

Jan 26, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm... Please forgive my ignorance, but I was just assuming that since the ER-4's have a relatively flat frequency response, and since they are considered more "accurate" than other IEM's in its price range, they must be good for use onstage. Wouldn't onstage performers want the most accurate sound reproduction? I mean the sole purpose of using IEM's onstage is to be able to hear yourself (without damaging your ears - as much.. significantly).

If I used an IEM onstage while playing the sax, and if that IEM had a bump in an area of its the frequency response, I would hear that area of frequency exaggerated, so I would adjust my playing to make it sound right. The audience would hear my playing with a dip (as opposed to a bump) in that area of frequency. This would not be accurate. My playing would sound like crap. I would want to hear myself as accurately as possible - otherwise, I'd be adjusting to something that doesn't even exist.

ER4-B is a monitoring IEM.

It's just an idea. A simple, single driver yet awesome custom IEM.

Jan 30, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik_C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do. (Well, Westone does.)

ety1.jpg

Erik_C
Thanks for the photo, this is really good. This is a real real business lesson for any of us in any trade. I think Etymotics should be offering the customs not Westone. If you make a product you should be offering all the accessories and creating your own following. I thought the ER4s were so good I even have a spare. Maybe some companies just prefer to remain obscure.
More importantly can you show us a photo of how this custom ER4s fit your ears? My main criticism on the ER4 is that it's too goofy. Most audiophiles will appreciate what it delivers but man when that thing sticks out of your ears in the subway it seems the joke is on you
eggosmile.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #22 of 34
I see no reason why the ER-4 can't be made to angle in towards the ear canal like the UM2 does. It would be far more comfortable and discrete.

Additionally, they could fit a second driver in there. Seriously, like a big fat one for bass, 150 Hz below or so. Optionally I mean, on another model. The ER-4 can put out a lot of bass with equalization, but not enough for some people. And not enough for people that don't use EQ.

Jan 30, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by danny334 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Erik_C
Thanks for the photo, this is really good. This is a real real business lesson for any of us in any trade. I think Etymotics should be offering the customs not Westone. If you make a product you should be offering all the accessories and creating your own following. I thought the ER4s were so good I even have a spare. Maybe some companies just prefer to remain obscure.
More importantly can you show us a photo of how this custom ER4s fit your ears? My main criticism on the ER4 is that it's too goofy. Most audiophiles will appreciate what it delivers but man when that thing sticks out of your ears in the subway it seems the joke is on you
eggosmile.gif

DSC04389.jpg

Jan 30, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #25 of 34
sensaphonics prophonic IV = special etymotic er4 version in a custom mold.

i'm not sure if they still make them, but if i remember right, they'll make them on request, because several artists use the prophonic IV and like it -- they're also good for temporary players because the molds can slip off.

iv-big.jpg

Jan 30, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #26 of 34
Times a million here. That would just rock. Although I'm sure its already been said that you can buy custom tips for ER4s, but then again, it doesn't have the same cool factor as actually having a full-fledged custom.

Jan 30, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #28 of 34
The custom ear molds are $115 and the ER4S $214 ER4P $165. Either way, that is significantly below the cost of current custom IEMs.

Sources:
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/cusfitearmol1.html
http://www.amazon.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless getting the custom molds and an ER-4S costs less than $500, it really isn't worth it compared to better customs out there right now. (and more on the way, Etymotic is falling far far behind.)

-Ed

Jan 30, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless getting the custom molds and an ER-4S costs less than $500, it really isn't worth it compared to better customs out there right now. (and more on the way, Etymotic is falling far far behind.)

-Ed

It is WAY less than $500. Etys can be had for around $160, and molds are under $150. So $300 out the door (which is Ety's retail price for the ER-4) is a significant savings from the cheapest full custom, and you have the benefit of knowing the Ety sound signature before you make a further investment. What if you buy full customs and don't like how they sound? Tough luck!

Jan 30, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by radioactive28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sensaphonics doesn't list the Prophonic IV on their webby. Are they ER4 drivers transplanted into a full custom, or what?
Suddenly, my day (or night, here) became a lot brighter and hopeful
biggrin.gif

it's a version of the er4 driver made for them specially -- the cable plug, instead of the way it comes out of the earpiece at an angle, attaches straight to the side to form a 90-degree angle. it also has the memory cable/etc. it goes into the soft silicone earmold, which can be detached.

i'd imagine they still make the earmold, at least. i know of several artists using the IV (better than ezra and chris martin from coldplay, if i remember right).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back