Etymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones: $50 off
Mar 26, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually just got off the phone for the second time - first time the CSR said 'no' couldn't do it because it had already shipped. Got one of those 'did we resolve your issue?' follow-up emails, so I clicked 'no' and got to that call-back button...another rep on the phone this time said 'sure, we should've done that before', so they are in fact refunding the $50 to the credit card. Pretty good service with the follow-up system in place to catch slip-ups. Now I'm happy.

Great to hear!!! Amazon is awesome.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #32 of 58
Also gotta love Amazon's $3.99 next day shipping
smily_headphones1.gif
I just received my HF5 and I've been listening to various rock, pop & rap for about 30 minutes... currently Andy McKee via Sansa Clip. I've been usin' Altec Lansing UHP336 AKA Super.Fi 3 for a month or so & also had SF5 for a few days. No probs with either & I do like the UE sound signature & at 39.99 the UHP336 was an excellent bang for buck. Anyhoo, I've had many diff IEMs and nothing has ever WOW'd me like these HF5s have. Time will tell but I can now appreciate what the ETY lovers rave about in terms of clarity & smoothness. I can't really notice any serious lack of bass as there is plenty of tight bass that's not weak or overpowering. No regrets here & a steal for 99.00. I feel like I can finally stop searching for iems and start listening to music

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #33 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also gotta love Amazon's $3.99 next day shipping
smily_headphones1.gif
I just received my HF5 and I've been listening to various rock, pop & rap for about 30 minutes... currently Andy McKee via Sansa Clip. I've been usin' Altec Lansing UHP336 AKA Super.Fi 3 for a month or so & also had SF5 for a few days. No probs with either & I do like the UE sound signature & at 39.99 the UHP336 was an excellent bang for buck. Anyhoo, I've had many diff IEMs and nothing has ever WOW'd me like these HF5s have. Time will tell but I can now appreciate what the ETY lovers rave about in terms of clarity & smoothness. I can't really notice any serious lack of bass as there is plenty of tight bass that's not weak or overpowering. No regrets here & a steal for 99.00. I feel like I can finally stop searching for iems and start listening to music

Ah... great to hear that too. I'm really thinking about giving Etys another shot. Sorry, wallet.

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #34 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah... great to hear that too. I'm really thinking about giving Etys another shot. Sorry, wallet.

I think a person's taste for ety's will depend on what type of music is listened to. I listen to alot of acoustic/instrumental type music that's not quite as intense as something like metal or hip hop, so ety's sound sig is perfect for me. However, I can definately understand how a person who listens to hard rock or metal might be put off by the sound, especially if they typically listen at a higher volume. I think the clarity might be a bit too much on certain songs played at high volumes. However, when listening on either the er4's or hf5's at an adequate volume to something like an accoustic version of "Hotel California" by the Eagles, it's pure bliss. I've yet to hear ANYTHING better to my ears.

...wow, I'm really starting to sound like a fanboy. I don't work for etymotic, I swear
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #35 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think a person's taste for ety's will depend on what type of music is listened to. I listen to alot of acoustic/instrumental type music that's not quite as intense as something like metal or hip hop, so ety's sound sig is perfect for me. However, I can definately understand how a person who listens to hard rock or metal might be put off by the sound, especially if they typically listen at a higher volume. I think the clarity might be a bit too much on certain songs played at high volumes. However, when listening on either the er4's or hf5's at an adequate volume to something like an accoustic version of "Hotel California" by the Eagles, it's pure bliss. I've yet to hear ANYTHING better to my ears.

...wow, I'm really starting to sound like a fanboy. I don't work for etymotic, I swear
smily_headphones1.gif

Yup, I listen to mostly hiphop and r&b and sometimes classical and trance. So my time with classical is not too prevailing and my time with other genres have me yearning for more presence in bass than what the Etys provide, unfortunately, from what I experienced when I had the ER4Ps.

Mar 28, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #38 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought a pair today, and I'll be picking them up on the 5th of April. Can't wait!

Hope these are a good step up from $50 Sony canalphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't you worry.
wink.gif
The bass quantity may not be enough to satisfy you though, but of course, there are many who stay true to the Ety sound sig.

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #40 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't you worry.
wink.gif
The bass quantity may not be enough to satisfy you though, but of course, there are many who stay true to the Ety sound sig.

I liked the bass of the sony canalphones on certain live performaces, because it felt like I was there, but quite often I found the bass overwhelming, and it seemed to like take away from voices/some certain stringed instrument.

I'm not a big bass head, if I'm at a concert, I like the bass that hits you, but listening at home, I prefer details over boominess.

And I've been reading alot over which headphones to buy, and I think these are good for me, especially for their price. I also need alot of isolation, because I'd like to drum with these
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #41 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maaaaannnnn, this is so tempting. are they really the same as er4p. it looks like that the cords are not interchangeable. pls confirm this. ill be getting 2 pairs on as a back up

i don't think the cords on hf5's are interchangable. I'm waiting on an email back from etymotic to confirm this, but seeing as the hf5's are mass produced in China vs the er4's which are hand-built in Illinois, I don't think it's likely. I'm pretty sure the only real similarity between the two is that they use the same drivers & therefore sound almost identical. However, the er4's do sound a tad nicer (although I can't tell unless I'm seriously paying attention) & have a different impedance than the hf5's, allowing the er4p's to be upgraded to the er4s w/ a separate cable. I don't think the same can be done with the hf5's.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #42 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't think the cords on hf5's are interchangable. I'm waiting on an email back from etymotic to confirm this, but seeing as the hf5's are mass produced in China vs the er4's which are hand-built in Illinois, I don't think it's likely. I'm pretty sure the only real similarity between the two is that they use the same drivers & therefore sound almost identical. However, the er4's do sound a tad nicer (although I can't tell unless I'm seriously paying attention) & have a different impedance than the hf5's, allowing the er4p's to be upgraded to the er4s w/ a separate cable. I don't think the same can be done with the hf5's.

Since you put it that way, I'm pretty positive that HF5s can become ER4S with the HF5 -> S cable... the one that has not been invented yet.
wink.gif
But I'm sure it can be done!

Mar 31, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #43 of 58
Anyone have any opinion on the color choices on these? Black is certainly classic and classy, but the cobalt blue looks kind of cool. Ruby red would be a little much for me (I'm a guy!), but I'm really on the fence as to whether I should order the blue to be a little different or stick with black, which is safe.

It all hinges on how deep the blue is -- I think the deeper it is the more subtle it would be. It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures. Any thoughts?

Mar 31, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #44 of 58
Go for what you want. I wanted to try something different and went with the blue. Compared to my er4ps:

(Bright Pics)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back