Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Jul 29, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #901 of 1,201
Try the final Audio nozzle adapters with e-type tips and comply t500, the sound change is fun.
E-type tips would toward more V shape presence, T500 tips would toward darker and low-mid focus /relax sound.

IMO, both of them sound not as balance as 2 flange tips, although easier to fit and much more comfortable.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #902 of 1,201
I would absolutely be interested; while the EVO looks like a great IEM, it doesn't appear to be quite what I was hoping for as someone who vastly prefers the ER2SE to the ER2XR and has been considering trading out the ER4XR for an ER4SR.

As another user summed up:

These things--clarity, separation, dynamics, etc--are difficult to articulate and do not appear to be captured in the standard frequency response graphs in a manner which we know how to extract, but they do exist. Of all the IEMs that I have heard and owned over the years, the Sony IER-M9 stand out as having tremendous clarity and separation between distinct sounds, with perfect cohesion between the drivers across the frequency spectrum, and I only got rid of them because the tuning was not for me. While what Etymotic achieves with the ER4 series' single BA is god damn black magic it simply cannot overcome physics and the single BA exhibits issues with separating and positioning different sounds, as well as sometimes having a noticeable graininess or 'smearing' effect in faster/more complex recordings. Only the IER-M9 has come close among IEMs to matching the clarity of my Clears.

A well-implemented set of BA crossovers can simply achieve greater quality and clarity of sound than a single BA irrespective of the tuning, and while I don't expect a company the size of Etymotic to develop a product quite like the IER-M9 the bones of a glorious reference IEM with peerless clarity are already there in the EVO.
I was in the same camp in terms of considering swapping from ER4XR to ER4SR. At the end of the day, I couldn't bring myself to buy another set especially as I could barely hear a difference after EQing away the bass boost (granted there may be other aspects of sounds that are different). I also did end up buying the M9 and they've more or less replaced my ER4XR in rotation. While I was hesitant to buy based off of curves, somehow the bass lift works really well and I don't notice the treble scoop as much as I thought. I wouldn't say the ER4XR sounds grainy in comparison (but my BLONS BL01 do) but they XR definitely does sound less articulate in strings. I'm still on the fence for the EVO especially tuning wise I don't think I'll find it agreeable having it be a ER4XR with subbass extension, but I do miss those etymotic mids...
I don't keep Andromeda in high regard. It's one of the most boring iems I have ever heard.
Huh thats something I have not heard. I recall them sounding super V shaped with a treble spike, recessed vocals and this odd upper bass punch.
My version of differentiation is almost exclusively on drums and other percussion, where I compare recording replay to live settings e.g. conservatory. A bit unfair as recording and mixing at wonder-/truthful quality is an [engineering] art. Bleeding of bass into mids is minimal, although in with acoustic guitar it is noticeable.
- The XR becomes a bit boomy with heavy-mixed tracks (e.g. late-Slayer).
+ The SR-simulation sounds sooo accurate, especially toms and snare drums (e.g. Tool).

I have come to appreciate accuracy should be the starting (and end?) point, any enhancement/boost/preference may come after. While sounds engineers using the XR hsows the minimal difference; my mouth fell open quite a few times because of the representation of the drums following the SR-curve.

To tie it in as not-off topic: this is the main reason why will I leave the EVO for what it is for now (OK, and not cash-to-burn or swap-possibilities from Etymotic).
Thats interesting. I definitely could not tell a difference after EQing my XR :ksc75smile: Though I do agree with your conclusion about waiting on the EVO due to not liking the direction the tuning is going.

Jul 29, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #903 of 1,201
Thats interesting. I definitely could not tell a difference after EQing my XR :ksc75smile: Though I do agree with your conclusion about waiting on the EVO due to not liking the direction the tuning is going.
Maybe I should clarify that I compared a EQ'd XR to get a curve very close to the SR: I have not heard the SR. While the EQ-ing probably gets close, having different EQ-software among devices is a hassle. First-world problems...

Jul 29, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #905 of 1,201
Some really early impression on Evo as part of Australia tour.
Non sound impression:
The unboxing experience is outstanding, most sustainable package I ever seen.
Really thin cable and no heat-shrink ear guides, if you own the E3000, it’s thinner than than. But the material been used is definitely on the other levels.
Fits is like ER4 with additional support on the ear canal, but personally I much prefer the ER4 type of fit, mostly due to the unergonomic design of the cable.
Build and design of the IEMs is simply outstanding, look fairy futuristic.

Sound
Typical Ety house sound, if you like the ER4XR, then Yes!! it’s definitely a upgrade.
Better sub bass extension and texture, more detail in the midrange with clearer presentation, the treble also extend further and sound relatively brighter. The imaging has also been improved significantly, soundstage is also wider and tad deeper.
Sitting at $500USD price category, emmm, I wouldn’t necessary pick it over the ER4 (I can get it for $300USD now).
But, if you simply enjoy the Etymotic sound signature and you looking for more bass presence and better technical performance, then YES!! it is a really solid IEMs to get.

Jul 29, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #906 of 1,201
Here's my impressions:

When I found out that Ety was puting out mult-BA iem, my first thought was 'Did hell freeze over, after all these years?' It definitely caught my attention peaked my interest.
I've always been aware of Ety in the iem space as they are renowned for their research and their tunings. But, I wasn't a big fan of ER4 series sound responses. I found the response lacking enough bass and sounding too flat, lacking dynamics. So, when EVO was announced, I figured the multi-driver model could improve such issues. After listening to the EVO, I feel that EVO has delivered what I expected in terms of dynamics and the bass.

Generally, EVO sounds like mid focused iem, like the others in the Ety family. As can be seen from the FR, the most prominent area is in the upper-mids in the highs, the ear gain area. The measurements do correspond to how I hear the sound. When listening to tracks vocals, vocals do pop forward, and takes more of the center stage. Therefore, the mids sound well defined.

The addition of the BA driver does improve the bass over the single BA ER series. There is better bass articulation in the bass better impact, and improves the general dynamics of the sound response.

As for the sound stage, it doesn't sound much larger than the classic ER series. So, I didn't perceive the sound stage to be huge or very large, but about the similar size as the classics.

Again, based on the measurements, we can also see the mid treble is non-existent. Although, for personal preference, I don't mind this as I'm sensitive to 6-9k, and I enjoy the music better if that area wasn't all that prominent. I feel like EVO could use more emphasis in that area, it does come off missing a bit of sparkle or brightness in that area to give better tonal definition. That's the main weakness I found from the sound response. I found the highs very smooth, and maybe too smooth due to this reason.
I recently got the ER2XR, and it was a good time to compare with the EVO. The comparison between the two is difficult. They have minor differences in sound presentation due to the type of driver used for each earphone. I am quite surprised at the quality of the DD bass of the ER2XR given the small form-factor. I like it better than other Ety's BA driver offerings like the ER4XR. It sounds more dynamic, and it's what I like. I personally didn't like the ER2SE, but XR is much of an improvement over it.

In comparison to the ER2XR, EVO has a much tighter response to the sound. Sound is more separated, and has better clarity. I think ER2XR more blended, less separated response can come off more natural between the two. I like the 2XR's larger bass feel when impacts, but I also like the EVO's tight feel and the more articulate bass as well. Both impacts differently. But, between the two, I can tell the EVO's superior in terms of technical performance due to the better clarity, separation, and articulation of the bass. But, ER2XR is a close performer.

Fit wise, I get deeper fit with the classic formfactor (ER2/3/4), but it doesn't seem like I'm having any sound issues with less deeper fit with the EVO. I do not hear any peak whatsoever. I can't imagine anybody hearing any sort of peak from EVO unless it's very shallowly fit into the canal. The only tips that work with the deep insertion are the double flanges and foam. Double flanges would be my pick since foam can cause EVO to sound even darker.

With the inclusion of the additional drivers, the housing had to be enlarged, and shaped in a way so that the nozzle can still fit deeply like the classics. And I feel that for the most part, they have succeeded. I didn't find the shape of the driver housing causing any pain around the ear from any pressure to the ear anatomy. Due to the extended nozzle, the housing doesn't adhere to the concha, it sticks out slightly at an angle. When I had the prophile-8, the housing fit well to my ear, felt better secured that adhered to my ear. I figure this is more of a personal ear shape thing.

As for the bax cable, I find it kinda odd how thin it is. Quite bizzare as I've never experienced an iem cable that thin. I think the trend has been cables getting thicker and thicker due to the popularity of mult-stand iem cables. This is contrary to the trend, and it's just different that is all. Personally, I think it's more practical due to the lightness of the cable. The lightless of the cable causes significantly less microphonics from the cable swing.

Overall, I find that EVO is an improvement over the ER series in terms of technical ability. The addition of the BA do bring much improvement in the imaging, bass performance and the general sound dynamics. And overall, the sound response has no oddity to it wonkiness, but for me personally, the one short-fall of the sound response is the mid treble lacking a bit causing the impression to be too smoothed out in the highs and on the dark side.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #908 of 1,201
Apologies to @Zachik for the delayed impressions from the tour (many thanks as well); I had hoped to possibly write a review, but life gets in the way and my time with them (as well as my time with all my IEMs) has been somewhat limited. Instead here are some of my notes:

Etymotic’s signature clean treble is carried over; it’s controlled without sharpness. Staging isn’t particularly tall, but coupled with the deep insertion notes come across cleanly & clearly, never threatening to venture into strident.

Mids are clean. No surprise here, these are Etys. Not necessarily rich or emotional, but instruments are nicely separated. Midrange is accurate and controlled.

Bass is present. Not going to rattle any cages, but quantity is increased over the ER series. Sub-bass focused.
My home office is in my basement and whenever my neighbor pulls into our shared driveway I can hear the low rumble of his engine. I was listening to track 8 - Bell Atmosphere of Succession Season 1 Soundtrack and I had to take the EVO out of my ears to double check, but it was actually coming from the music/IEMs. On track 10 - Strings + 808 + Beat, there’s a healthy amount of sub-bass boost on the track itself and the EVO was able to render it fairly well without any fuzziness.

Overall signature is accurate & precise. It’s a balanced presentation with just a hint of boost in the sub-bass. Nothing really jumps out, instead it’s overall balance & naturalness means the IEMs stay out of the way & lets the music take center stage.

I do have some additional notes regarding my experience with the Final Audio nozzle adapters & tip-swapping with them which I will post as well.

Aug 2, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #910 of 1,201
I'm enjoying the EVO with vocal quite a bit. It maybe my main go to for vocal tracks. There's not many items that can get vocal right, let alone not sound to strident in the highs to make vocals enjoyable. This is the main benefit to the smoothness of the highs. vocals really does pop, but not in a way to push any peakiness, shoutiness, or sounds fatiguing.

I know the response is not quite Harman, but I have heard the newest TWS Galaxy buds that went for the Harman target and it sounds too much emphasis in the treble. Just because something is Harman tuned on paper doesn't mean it will right. I know there's certain amount I mid-treble I desire, and most of the time, and lots of iems over-emphasize. I would rather have slightly under-emphasize than over.

With the Bax cable, I can't help feel that it's kinda too thin that I wonder if it's that strong. It's seems to thin that I wonder about the durability and tensile strength. If it gets caught on something, would it just snap? I've been reading bax cables are strong, which is hard to believe given how thin the cable is.

Fit feels snug now. I used to own several customs, and fit feels snug like customs in a way. I think it's due to the insertion, and the extended nozzle with the feeling of the double flanges inside the canal. Similarly, customs do fit deep.

Aug 5, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #911 of 1,201
EVO arrived.

3 days shipping overseas from Amazon, very impressive. DSC_0908.JPGDSC_0909.JPGDSC_0910.JPGDSC_0911.JPGDSC_0913.JPGDSC_0915.JPG

Aug 6, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #913 of 1,201
Early impression and experience. Firstly this is the opinion based on personal preference, honeymoon period and lately the Ety fanboy.
By the way, sorry for my broken English.

Some might say that EVO make Etymotic lose their soul. However, I think EVO is still truly Etymotic soul with leaned toward to consumer market.
Audiophile or Ety-head who love the linear sound and want to upgrade from the ER4SR might disappointed. However for me who enjoy with ER2XR, ER4XR or music lover who isn't bass head should be love EVO.

GOOD
+ Sound signature: Using ER4XR as a base, then add more bass especially sub bass, tone down the treble and expand the soundstage. Overall, EVO sound smoother and thicker than ER4XR.​
- Bass having nice texture and rumble.​
- Mid I think it's the same with ER4XR.​
- Treble having less peak.​
- Detail retrieval and micro detail are on the same level as ER4XR. Sometime it was tricked by the expanded stage to make I think something missing but it's still there, just change the position and I lose focus.​
+ Soundstage and Imaging: It is the vast improvement in my though.​
- The stage expand to around head size (ear to ear) instead of cramped everything in your head on ER4XR. Soundstage, Imaging and layering is superb in my opinion, I can point where the instrument came from, not only from left/right, the upper/lower and front and further can still pinpoint easily. Remind that it's still limited to around the head size level.​
- Separation: Another thing the benefit from multi-driver and bigger soundstage. Now every notes and instruments are clearly separated from each other. I switched from EVO to ER4XR everything sound congested and blur.​
BAD
+ Cable: BaX cable might be good but it too thin. No support at all when wearing over ear.​
+ Weight: Heavy and combine with zero support from cable, it make me feel like it might came off the ear (well, it don't). I frequently have to press it back to feel secure.​
+ Accessories: Overall is OK but only 2 replacement filters at this price, ER4 came with better accessories at lower price.​

Remark
With the new shell, it can't insert as deep as barrel style and have little room for adjustment. The usual tips that perfect on ER series might not goes well with EVO.

Aug 6, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #914 of 1,201
My version of differentiation is almost exclusively on drums and other percussion, where I compare recording replay to live settings e.g. conservatory. A bit unfair as recording and mixing at wonder-/truthful quality is an [engineering] art. Bleeding of bass into mids is minimal, although in with acoustic guitar it is noticeable.
- The XR becomes a bit boomy with heavy-mixed tracks (e.g. late-Slayer).
+ The SR-simulation sounds sooo accurate, especially toms and snare drums (e.g. Tool).

I have come to appreciate accuracy should be the starting (and end?) point, any enhancement/boost/preference may come after. While sounds engineers using the XR hsows the minimal difference; my mouth fell open quite a few times because of the representation of the drums following the SR-curve.

To tie it in as not-off topic: this is the main reason why will I leave the EVO for what it is for now (OK, and not cash-to-burn or swap-possibilities from Etymotic).
If you had a ER4SR you could've done a 3.5db 80Hz low shelf since a slight bit of roll at 20Hz ~ 50Hz. Quite glad Etymotic did this with Evo since I don't like how other brands have too much upper bass(105 ~ 245Hz). Makes the ER4SR go from bit lean on sub bass to being full without colouring the mids from upper bass bleed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back