Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Jul 15, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #842 of 1,201
This is some immense influence! First you pulled off the EVO tour, then this. I'm very thankful
More like I have good ideas, and convey them well... :wink:

Jul 15, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #844 of 1,201
The cord likely needs it, if its anything like past ER4 cords.
It's made by a completely different manufacturer and process, so don't think we can call this one apples to apples. Wouldn't the cable be a wear-and-tear item anyway?

Jul 15, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #845 of 1,201
It's made by a completely different manufacturer and process, so don't think we can call this one apples to apples. Wouldn't the cable be a wear-and-tear item anyway?

The cable broke easily (sound to left or right side would cut out) and fortunately was covered by warranty. I haven't used the new one but at least one review pointed out that it seems thin. So if it's not very robust it would be a good thing if it were also covered.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #846 of 1,201
The cable broke easily (sound to left or right side would cut out) and fortunately was covered by warranty. I haven't used the new one but at least one review pointed out that it seems thin. So if it's not very robust it would be a good thing if it were also covered.
Did you take a look at mine? I specifically addressed the cable in my review.

Jul 15, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #847 of 1,201
The cord likely needs it, if its anything like past ER4 cords.
In my experience, the Linum cable is quite robust. I have an ACS Evolve that uses the BaX. I have to admit that I don't use them too frequently, but it is still working properly after 4 years. I also have a Linum Super BaX, which I use more frequently and is working fine after 2 years.

The real question is, does the 2-year warranty cover the cable for EVO? The clip of my ER4SR broke, and the dealer here told me accessories aren't covered.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #848 of 1,201
I'll just drop this here. Just in case..
graph - 2021-07-15T191808.200.png

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #849 of 1,201
The real question is, does the 2-year warranty cover the cable for EVO? The clip of my ER4SR broke, and the dealer here told me accessories aren't covered.

Don't know. At least until the warranty ran out, they would fix (replace) the cord at no cost in the past.

Did you take a look at mine? I specifically addressed the cable in my review.

Actually that may have been what I was referring to, just read the rest of what you wrote about it. Ya sounds thin but well made.

Jul 16, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #850 of 1,201
Jul 16, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #851 of 1,201
In my experience, the Linum cable is quite robust. I have an ACS Evolve that uses the BaX. I have to admit that I don't use them too frequently, but it is still working properly after 4 years. I also have a Linum Super BaX, which I use more frequently and is working fine after 2 years.

Quick question: what do you think the sound differences are between the ER4SR and the ACS Evolve? Which is better in your opinion? I assume you got the soft-sillicone-custom version of the ACS? I had my eye on that one, for that reason, and supposedly great sound.

Jul 16, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #852 of 1,201
Quick question: what do you think the sound differences are between the ER4SR and the ACS Evolve? Which is better in your opinion? I assume you got the soft-sillicone-custom version of the ACS? I had my eye on that one, for that reason, and supposedly great sound.

I own the universal fit version of Evolve, not sure if this is still available.

On a standalone basis, I find the Evolve to be crisp sounding, has a fine balance between details and excitement, and there isn't something that I really dislike sound-wise. I prefer using Evolve to listen to small to medium scale works, such as solo/chamber/mid-scale orchestral works, but not something with a busy & large ensemble. I have a major difficulty in wearing Evolve properly, that's why I don't use them often.

Relative to ER4SR, I find Evolve to sound more rigid, "smaller"/less expansive, and the instruments are less nicely spaced. I won't say ER4SR is better than Evolve, but I like ER4SR more.

Jul 16, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #854 of 1,201
How does it compare to some of the other famous BA IEM, like Sony ier-m7 m9 or Andromeda?

I haven't heard the Sonys, but the Andromeda is really special. It possesses next-level clarity and detail resolution. It's at least one or two steps ahead of the EVO in sound quality, in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #855 of 1,201
I would say Andromeda and Evo are rather kind of different IEM. They takes very different point view on damping.

Depend on differnet system, Evo would sound "dull" when Andromeda sound vivid, or Evo sound clarity but Andromeda sound somehow "loose".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back